recreate what hawtin does?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:05 pm

Can you please post it?Would be awesome.....[/quote]

see that "pm" button?
*cough*

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:10 pm

It's in the audio effect racks folder. It's called "dual shifters" i think.
It might not be spot on. But it's the closest you'll get with Ableton's effects :wink:

Toufas

Post by Toufas » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:18 am

hello all again.
i have been away from this forum (and live) for quite some time.
i saw some people asking for the samples, and since i deleted that file off my server by mistake, here are 3 samples:
one
two
three

i will read tomorrow all the suggestions :)

nicka

Post by nicka » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:27 am

anyone know the name of the track in the 1st sample?
Macbook 2.16 C2D - Ozonic - BCF 2000 - Allen & Heath xone 32 - Technics 1210's mk3 - and a badger

MaRcEl_

Post by MaRcEl_ » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:08 pm

microfunk aka 2000 and one & dave ellesmere - the white room / pecan

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:45 pm

This is not really exact but I had some good fun with mdsp @ Smartelectronix's Fire plug.

I dropped two Fires parallel in a rack with a utility plug in front of each, panned hard left and hard right. Mapped the delay time to macro 1 and set the ranges slightly different. Then mapped various other controls such as dry/wet to the other knobs. And had a play with it. Its pretty smooth with none of the clicking you here with the other Ableton delays.

BTW judging by the pictures I've seen here of Richie's computer with PSP42 loaded on screen..... Ummm maybe its just me... but I'd say its pretty safe to say thats what he uses to get this effect. I noticed in the one clearer photo it looks as if the mouse pointer is over the tempo in Live and the transport is stopped, which made me think that instead of tweaking the delay times on the plug its self, that he is using the global tempo to vary the delay times. Then to get the delays to sync up every now and then he would just tap in the tempo or divisions of the tempo just like a hardware delay. Quite possible Hawtin was using the real PCM42 back in the day (and might still in the studio... anyone know?) and has just made the logical step to use the software version to get that signature sound.

After all delays are timeless (no pun intended) so it would make sense to stick with something you're comfortable with and have used for years.

xfx

Post by xfx » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:41 pm

positive on PSP42! the thing is that you need a combination of loop sampler and delay unit to create the "hawtin-effect". with PSP42 you can do that (and so does he!). a cheaper alternative would be augustusloop from expertsleepers (http://www.collective.co.uk/expertsleep ... sloop.html). plus it is available as universal binary if you are a mac person with new gear.[/url]

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:57 pm

xfx wrote:positive on PSP42! the thing is that you need a combination of loop sampler and delay unit to create the "hawtin-effect". with PSP42 you can do that (and so does he!). a cheaper alternative would be augustusloop from expertsleepers (http://www.collective.co.uk/expertsleep ... sloop.html). plus it is available as universal binary if you are a mac person with new gear.[/url]
Yeah I'm sure augustusloop can do this... but I downloaded the demo and the interface is so confusing I gave up. I'm sure other really cool stuff is possible with augustusloop but why does it have to be so convoluted?

I purchased Budstation from AudioDamage because I heard it mentioned so many times here and it can easily do this as well. Plus its very simple, easy to use, cheap and its UB.

fortycoats

Post by fortycoats » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:22 pm

the first one sounds like hes using grm tools delays plugin and dragging the slider that morphs between presets

when the number of delays, random delay, distribution and amplitude faders start dancing you get this type of sound

be sure to set wet/dry to less than 50% if you wanna try for yourself
(it snaps to 100%wet when you drag the morph slider thingy)

Toufas

Post by Toufas » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:11 am

3rdordertrauma wrote:
BTW judging by the pictures I've seen here of Richie's computer with PSP42 loaded on screen..... Ummm maybe its just me... but I'd say its pretty safe to say thats what he uses to get this effect. I noticed in the one clearer photo it looks as if the mouse pointer is over the tempo in
but he plays two tracks (or more) and only one is affected by the delay..

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:44 am

Toufas wrote:
3rdordertrauma wrote:
BTW judging by the pictures I've seen here of Richie's computer with PSP42 loaded on screen..... Ummm maybe its just me... but I'd say its pretty safe to say thats what he uses to get this effect. I noticed in the one clearer photo it looks as if the mouse pointer is over the tempo in
but he plays two tracks (or more) and only one is affected by the delay..
Yes...?

I personally don't see why its so important to duplicate this effect *EXACTLY* IMO its definitely a delay, most likely the PSP42! since I've seen photos of it being the only thing loaded on his computer and being used purely as an effects rack. But I think many types of delays are capable of something very close to this. Such as dubstation. Richie's EXACT implementation of this is unknown. But why copy something to the T if you don't mind me asking? I thought the point was to get in the ball park of what you're trying to recreate and then implement it in your own way.

Richie is one of my most favorite artists of all time... but I don't want to sound *exactly* like him.

I think if its absolutely pertinent that you recreate this effect EXACTLY and that you're not satisfied with the ideas people are providing here, that the only way would be to ask the man himself. Firstly he probably doesn't want to tell you... secondly if he did I'm willing to bet money that he will tell you its the PSP42 (or something similar) NOT some magical custom plug in and signal routing only duplicable in the hands of ancient Egyptian Pharaohs deep within a quad dimensional meditative state induced by cosmic planetary alignment which only occurs once every 10,000 years.

I feel like many people in this post have provided more than enough resources, ideas, proof and examples of how to obtain this effect.... in many different ways and to continue beating this topic to death is a waste of loads of valuable effort and ideas people have provided here.

I'd say experiment with the suggestions people mentioned, most of them are very close to what I hear in the examples... I have to say I've learned some cool stuff from it, that will certainly find its use in my own music. So thanks to everyone for that!

Toufas

Post by Toufas » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:51 am

so according to you, it is wrong to ask for something that nobody has given a clear answer for...
as it was pointed out earlier in this thread, you can show us exactly how you are saying its done...not "its that plugin"

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:06 am

Toufas wrote:so according to you, it is wrong to ask for something that nobody has given a clear answer for...
as it was pointed out earlier in this thread, you can show us exactly how you are saying its done...not "its that plugin"
NO... what I'm saying is I don't understand why it has to be *EXACT*. I've heard lots of good advice and some really damn close examples by posters here. Lots of effort has been given to offer you peoples opinions of how to get that effect. That doesn't seem to be good enough for you... so what I said was maybe the only way to know *EXACTLY* is to ask the man himself.
Last edited by 3rdordertrauma on Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

boomklik

Post by boomklik » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:01 am

stand behind him and watch him play for 2 hours or so...you'll figure it out;)

xfx

Post by xfx » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:24 pm

@Toufas: he is using PSP42 - period! as boomklik just mentioned, stand behind him, watch and be amazed ;-). the reason why he can have the effect on one track only is because he can route every channel of his mixer to 3 different outputs. check out his website. one goes to the laptop running live (with PSP42), the second goes to his soundbite xl loop machine and the 3rd one i have not seen yet. maybe he only uses it when he has gear leftover or routes it to the effect laptop as well. anyway, i've been standing close to him many times and this is my explanation of his setup. if you have a chance talk to him, he is actually a really nice guy.
@3rdordertrauma: i agree the layout of augustusloop is not very good. there is one skin that groups it together a bit nicer, but you are still far away from a 2-button-effect. i'll try budstation to see what it does :-).