Interesting, Cheap Controller for Live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Tommy Genes

Interesting, Cheap Controller for Live

Post by Tommy Genes » Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:07 pm

First, buy one of THESE

Buy it CHEAP (<$20US) on eBay

Now get THIS software and THIS software.

I've tried it and it works.

-- T. G. --

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:42 pm

Glad someone noticed this ...lol
I've helped developing and betatesting some of thefeatures [ not the sw itself though ] and am busy making a default template for full control of all functions of 16 trax of Live ...I'll post it here when available
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:13 pm

Can we have a Mac one too please Mbazzy?

paddy
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Re: Interesting, Cheap Controller for Live

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:43 pm

Tommy Genes wrote:
Now get THIS software and THIS software.

I've tried it and it works.

-- T. G. --
Can you take any audio clip in live, assing one of the turntables to it, and start scratching, all for $20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????? I am about to crap my pants. seriously though, can it scratch a live clip, and how does it sound? Awesome

ryan

Tommy Genes

Re: Interesting, Cheap Controller for Live

Post by Tommy Genes » Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:11 pm

ryan wrote:Can you take any audio clip in live, assing one of the turntables to it, and start scratching, all for $20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????? I am about to crap my pants. seriously though, can it scratch a live clip, and how does it sound? Awesome
I wouldn't crap my pants just yet if I were you. Remember that the DM2, at least when used as I described, is just a hardware controller. Ableton Live software has no "scratching" feature itself yet, but there a number of VST plugins out that try to approximate scratching in a variety of ways, and their parameters could be mapped to the DM2 within Live. I think it's only a matter of time before a really good one comes along.

Maybe Ableton themselves will be the ones to code it. Or maybe they will be able to implement the oft-requested feature of MIDI-controllable warp points.

In the meatime, the DM2 provides excellent clip/scene trigger buttons, transport controls, a crossfader with transformer buttons, and an X/Y joystick that complement Live features nicely.

-- T. G. --
Last edited by Tommy Genes on Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy Genes

Post by Tommy Genes » Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:26 pm

As I look at eBay, I see the prices are creeping up a bit from when I bought mine a few weeks ago. I guess the word about DM2ToMIDI is getting around. They are still quite a bit cheaper than the $80 list price, however.

Just be careful on eBay. If you look closely, you will see that auctions close to ending are bidding at $35, while further down the page, others are available to "buy it now" for $24.95. I guess that some people just want to pay more money than they have too. :roll:

-- T. G. --

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:12 pm

there a number of VST plugins out that try to approximate scratching in a variety of ways, and their parameters could be mapped to the DM2 within Live
Tommy, what vst's did you have in mind, 'cause I haven't found anything close to usable/usefull
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

Tommy Genes

Post by Tommy Genes » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:37 pm

Mbazzy wrote:Tommy, what vst's did you have in mind, 'cause I haven't found anything close to usable/usefull
I didn't say I had tried anything good, just that there are approximations. Kuniox Pitch Scraper and DestroyFX Transverb are the two that come to mind first, probably nothing you haven't already tried.

-- T. G. --

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:41 pm

Thanx ... you're right ... 8)

epiphanius

Post by epiphanius » Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:05 am

It seems the website for DM2 to MIDI is down. I hope it comes back, as I think it would be fun to use the DM2 as a controller.

epiphanius

Post by epiphanius » Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:14 am

Websites fine now, I guess it was swamped by Ableton forum users.
I'm grabbing one of the DM2's @ 22.95.

Thanks, TG.

e.

GRUFF

Post by GRUFF » Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:11 am

the original software for this is a joke... it was made to be a toy... for kids who say to mommy "i wanna be a dj" and mommy thinks "i dont wanna spend 2k on tables". but DM2MIDI changes this. it kicks ass and lets us all have the control that MIXMAN should have, but didnt want to, give us in the firstplace.

I have been useing it with Live since DM2MIDI came out. and it kicks ass...
well... for the $20 i spent. the best part of DM2MIDI is its virtual channels... while there are only about 20 buttons on the DM2 you can set aside a few to change its virtual channels and multiply that number as many times as you want.

performance has been pretty damn good also. not super stable but very little controller oddities and bad data sent. the biggest of these is that sometimes when you change channels the scratch wheels dont respond on their first touch... but this is easily prepared for but simple nudging them a little first to get the data transmission started.

also i found that if you open it up and take off the rubbery cover over the buttons inside the scrach wheel they are much easier / consistantly hit. (as a note i was able to remove the cover for one wheel but had to use an exacto blade to cut off the second due to how the internal wiring was glued over one the screws inside)...

i really would like to get a second one and take it completely appart and make my own layout for it. this way i could use the interface it has supplied for me rather than having to make my own as i would if i were to make a controller from scratch.

corporation

Got one from ebay....

Post by corporation » Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:57 pm

As soon as I read about this, I went and copped one from ebay.

Sounds like a fantastic controller and I cant wait to receive it. (I was contemplating getting one when they first came out, but decided against it because of the crap software - glad i waited)

I'll give this a shot over the akai mpd 16.

cant wait for that template mbazzy. :D

If anyone has any usage stories about this controller and live, post them! :)

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:56 pm

One question - does the dm2 to midi software support MIDI continuous controller streams? I.E. continuous values, not just single, on/off switches for control change events....

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:27 pm

I would like to hear about all the different controllers people are using with live.

For starters, is anyone out there using wireless keyboards and jumping around on stage?

Joysticks, midi foot pedals, light detectors..whatever..Speak up!

-SongCarver