Mouseless Looping/Unlooping from clip 2 clip

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
DeadlyKungFu

Mouseless Looping/Unlooping from clip 2 clip

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:28 am

I never noticed this behavior before.

Assign a MIDI button to the LOOP button in Live's clip view. Assign it once it works for the last clip launched, it's universal.

Launch a bunch of clips as loops. Hitting the MIDI LOOP button toggles LOOP on the last selected clip.

You can loop or unloop clips at will, no mouse required.

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:45 pm

thats really cool, im surprised its not more widely known.
what would you do with it though, how would you use it?

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:34 pm

I've been working on a DJ set (ever since I saw Moldover's site I've been geeked on this). Each song is split into loops. I launch a bunch of loops and bring up the levels on whichever ones mash together well. When I want a whole song to play I relaunch a loop of that song and before the clip hits its loop point I unloop it and the whole song plays out. To get it looping again I relaunch it and put it back into loop mode.

I do all this with a BCR, 1 encoder to select scenes, 8 buttons (push encoders) to launch clips in 8 tracks, 1 button assigned to LOOP.

I hope that makes sense.
Last edited by DeadlyKungFu on Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:37 pm

<whoops, connection dropped, double post>

CopyRightJustice

Post by CopyRightJustice » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:40 am

I also use bome Midi Translator to change note on and off messages from a bcr2000 button into two different control messages and use these to control the loop position/length buttons this enables you to press and hold your loop button and release at the desired length creating the loop,also have a button assinged to loop for disabling the loop.