recording exact # of bars with 1 bar count in

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
n8tron

recording exact # of bars with 1 bar count in

Post by n8tron » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:27 pm

I've been trying to use live to get my ideas down as quick as possible, but I find that If I want to, for example, record 4 bars of guitar, I have to start the recording, then since I have to trigger live to record, I'm not ready to play yet, and then I play for four bars, then I have to go in, edit the clip so it starts at the right time and end at the right time, and all of this takes way to much time, More time than any other piece of recording software.

Now i must be using it wrong or something, but I just want to know if its possible to get a 1 bar count in, and set the recording to stop after a specific number of bars. and I want to do this all in the session/clip mode, not the arrangement window, so i can have these 4 bar clips immediatly after i'm done recording them.

is this possible?

how do you you all use live for recording like this?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:49 pm

you have to set the count-in in preferences.

set your global quantize to 4 bars,

hit the midi assign button in Live and assign a midi footpedal set to the little play button that magically appears above the IO section of your audio track (in session)

Now hit the footpedal - you will get a count in of a bar (or whatever you set)
hit the footpedal again any time within 4 bars, you will notice the clip play head starts to flash green - when four bars is up you will get a 4 bar loop.
Or alternatively if you hit it for the second time in (say) bar 6 , you will get an 8 bar loop.

you can expand upon this technique into a full 'looper' setup, no audio overdubs though unfortunately

Soma

Post by Soma » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:27 pm

I was looking for a way to do this. I'll have to try it out when I get home.

To do over dubs it would seem you would just use a second track...
Record part 1 to track 1. Send Track 1's out put to track two.
Record on track 2. I would think that you should get track 1 and ext in.

If you want to bounce back and forth you just need a thrid track... then you can overdub infinately between track one and two.

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:02 pm

you're still not answering his question, because i don't think there is one in session. that is, while you can punch out with a foot pedal, many of us are generally recording loops of uniform length. i'd like to be able to set live so that it knows to stop recording (and perhaps press play) at a specified number of bars. so i can just hit play, live counts in a measure, records for 4 measures, and then loops. i don't want to have to worry about punching out via foot pedal in the middle of playing. seems like a simple enough request.

having said you can't do this, maybe i have to look at follow actions more closely. not sure if there's a way to force recording clip to stop after set number of measures so next loop plays.