Add Your Own Lessons

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
heliumbaboon

Add Your Own Lessons

Post by heliumbaboon » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:37 am

I just upgraded to Live 5 & tried to add notes to a project as outlined in this thread by hoffman2k: http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16857

It seems like Live now looks for Lessons in a different place, so I put together a similar way to write your own Lessons. However, these are global Lessons for Live & don't work for individual projects. This can still come in handy, for instance, I'm going to make a list of popular chord progressions that will be quick to view inside the program.

Unzip this file into your "Lessons" folder (a subfolder of your "Library") & the tutorial will be added to default Lessons. You need to keep the subfolders where they are. It's just a couple text files & won't overwrite any existing files.

http://www.heliumb.com/tutorial/live5notes.rar

If all goes well, open Live 5, click View>Lessons & you should see 'Notes to Self' above the default Lessons. Then you can learn to add your own.

Here is the text, if you don't want to download:

$Page How To Add Lessons

/How To Add A New Lesson./
Create a new folder in your Library folder named:
whatever Category
Create a new folder in your "whatever Category" folder named:
whatever Lessons
Create a txt file in the "whatever Lessons" folder named:
LessonsEN.txt
You can view your notes in any project by going to the "View" menu and choosing "Lessons".
You may also create a file in your Category folder named "CategoryDescriptionEN.txt" to add... guess what?... a category description!

/Editing The LessonsEN.txt Content/
To make a page with a title, type:
'dollarsign'Page whatever
To display text in bold, type:
'backslash'whatever'backslash'
Everytime you save the txt file and reopen Live, the content will be updated.
You do not need to save anything to that Live set.
This is a non-destructive method.
If you wish to remove the lesson, just delete the "whatever Lessons" folder & it's txt file.
If you want to include pictures, you will have to save them as tif files & they have to be IBM (Intel) encoded.
On Mac you can convert any picture with the included app called "Graphic Converter"
On Windows there shouldn't be any problems, figuring it's a Windows format.
To include these pictures in your set, throw them in the "whatever Lessons" folder
& type the image file name into your txt file.

Cheers.

Updated for Live 5 by Heliumb.
Original method by Hoffman2k.
Due to the way the viewer worked I has to spell out $ as 'dollarsign' and / as 'backslash'. Also, 'whatever' mean literally whatever you want it to be, the * wouldn't appear.

Hopefully this topic hasn't already been covered.

Please let me know if this helps you out or if anything needs editing.
I haven't tried to insert an image, but I assume it still works the same way.

-Heliumb

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:44 am

Cheers mate. I'll update the main tips and tricks list.
Been meaning to get around to that, but there's so many things to do :wink:

If you got 2 minutes to spare, please add it to the wiki we're trying to build :D
http://www.teragon.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Thanks for the update.

-Bjorn

Zettt

Post by Zettt » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:30 pm

How can the $Link be ended? once i "opened" it with $Link every text behind it is displayed as a Link.

Thanks in advance.

MathematiK I

Post by MathematiK I » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:17 am

pheww... I saw it a while ago but it seems RePeter has posted again for y'all!!

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

I'm using live to DJ so I havn't tried it but it seems cool/

Cheers.
the artist formerly known as 3dot...

Zettt

Post by Zettt » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:24 pm

MathematiK I wrote:I'm using live to DJ so I havn't tried it but it seems cool/

Cheers.
I think youre in the wrong forum, arent you? ;)

By the way. "Someone" updated the Teragon Wiki with the Information found in this Thread.

Heres the direct Link.

Thanks to everyone for regarding information

MathematiK I

Post by MathematiK I » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:51 pm

what I meant was I'm NOT using it to DJ... except for fun...so didn't have the motivation to dig deep on this subject... :wink:
sorry about the missing word and sht..
the artist formerly known as 3dot...

Zettt

Post by Zettt » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:51 am

What youre talking?
This Topic isnt about DJing it is about "Adding your own lessons" ... dont know what that has to do with each other...

gibson_ewok

Re: Add Your Own Lessons

Post by gibson_ewok » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:59 am

I'm trying to do this in Live 8.2, having no luck at the moment. Is it the same in Live 8 as Live 5?

Cheers,
Bill.

sexface

Post by sexface » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:06 pm

gibson_ewok wrote:I'm trying to do this in Live 8.2, having no luck at the moment. Is it the same in Live 8 as Live 5?

Cheers,
Bill.
Ditto. Excited to try this out!

ryckeboerg

Post by ryckeboerg » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:14 pm

Hi
I'm exploring this too ; by looking at existant lessons and experimenting, I'm able now to do some simple lessons (just text and picture and internet link) but there're really a few things (even none) about it to found on the internet … :?

I would be interesting to share on this, even tiny experiences joined together may help … :wink:
Gerald

G5 duo 2.3 GHz 2 Gig RAM, MacBook dual 2.4 GHz 4Go RAM
MacOS 10.5.8, Ableton Live 6 to 8.2.1, Logic 6 to Studio 8, Melodyne Editor & Studio 3

gibson_ewok

Post by gibson_ewok » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:25 am

Hey mate,

If you could even just share some of the techniques your using to achieve this result, that would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Bill.

ryckeboerg

Post by ryckeboerg » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:42 am

Hi :wink:

Well I've just done a short tutorial of what I discoverd (for a friend of mine I work with) but in french for now. So I'm back very soon when it's translated and so usable by any world' citizen :lol:
Gerald

MacOS 10.5.8, Ableton Live 6 to 8.2.1, Logic 6 to Studio 8, Melodyne Editor & Studio 3

ryckeboerg

Post by ryckeboerg » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:55 pm

Well Bill, back again :wink:
(actually, was back before, but had some connection problems with the forum … )

here is the state of my experimentations and researches (actually, got great help from heliumbaboonLessons.
So it still works, since version 5
I'm on Mac with Live 8, and had experimented wint Panther and Leopard (MacOSX 4 & 5).

Lessons (for what I'm able to do now) are concerning one Live's Set ; they consist of a folder containing a text file and eventually pictures, named "name_of_the_set Lessons" which is must be in the Project folder.

The text file must be in text format (.txt) and named "LessonsXX", "XX" for the language, for example FR (french), EN (english), DE (german), ES (spanish), JA (japanese) …
This "extension" must correspond to the langage selected in Live's Preferences ; if not, the file is not recognized and doesn't open ;
(actually, that point can be really useful with musician's packs that we can found through Ableton for example : if we use Live in our own language, it happens that the lessons are not display ontly because there's no Lesson file with the good language's "extension" - so the trick is to make a copy of the lesson file and change the extension EN to the good one (most of time there is at least one english version) - for sure, it'll not translate, but you'll have so the lesson in english 8) better than nothing)

it is composed of :

1 - one header line :
$Page"name_of_the _set"
The name must be written exactly as the file' set's name, and must not have diacritics -letters with accents and other (which is anyway a rule to follow for files to be shared)
(another line containing the name's set can actually be found in the Live's lessons, which I suppose to be in relation with navigation between lesson pages, but I can't manage it by now).

2- the text itself :
which has to be displayed in the Live's Lessons (or File Manager) panel, without diacritics too (they are not recognized and so replaced by a "?" sign).

3- the pictures name (with the extension ".tif") which are to be displayed in the lessons, placed wher they have to be displayed in the text. They must be in the tiff format (.tif), and without diacritics too, nor space.

There are some text formatting options :

"->" to start the line by a black dot for listing

"$Link" underlines and creates hyperlink (I can only make internet links for now, just put the URL, but don't know how write local links)

"$0" displays the word "Live" in the text

text between slashes is displayed bold ( like this : /text to be displayed bold/)
That's all for now.

I hope it helps, I also hope to find more, and I finally hope other advices and discoveries on the question too :lol:
Gerald

gibson_ewok

Post by gibson_ewok » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:28 am

Mate, thanks very much for that! I finally got it working :D

Cheers,
Bill.
www.mrbillstunes.com

ryckeboerg

Post by ryckeboerg » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:27 am

Hey Bill,
Great ! 8)
If ever you discover some other improvements :wink:
I'll go on exploring and I'll let you know here (anyway, it seemes that we are really a few interesting in that question)

Cheers
Gerald