Please help me sync two laptops with live on both!!

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
RP

Syncing issues

Post by RP » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:39 pm

Hey there guys,

I am attempting to sync up a macpro laptop and a G4 desktop both running live and am having issues. I'm doing everything via wifi connection and I can see the sync light blinking in time on both machines but cant seem to get one machine to control the other. I don't need audio over the connection (although it would be nice) I just want to be able to control one computer from the other. Any thoughts? thanks

Ryan

amoeba

Post by amoeba » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:24 am

SYNC == clock signal
TRACK == instrument stuff
REMOTE == transport etc

on the master, set those on for the out port you are using

on the slave, set them on for in

then some mapping needs to be done.

amoeba

Post by amoeba » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:26 am

ps... i am finding there to be WAY too much jitter with the clock in 7.0.7. why does this seem to get worse as Live ages???

BjörnBjörk

Post by BjörnBjörk » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:32 am

amoeba wrote:ps... i am finding there to be WAY too much jitter with the clock in 7.0.7. why does this seem to get worse as Live ages???
+1

dootdoot

Post by dootdoot » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:13 pm

I got sync working between two laptops running Live. We used a MBP running 7.0.7 and an iBook running 6.x and were able to make tempo changes on the MBP and have the iBook reflect the change, and the sync would work at first, but the two machines would drift out of sync. We were running audio to the PA and by sending both metronomes we could here them flam and then continue to get further apart. This was very repeatable.

Any ideas?

Does the SYNC box (top left of the Live screen) need to be engaged or does it just show status. I wasn't running the slave machine so I am trying to find potential issues on both ends.

thanks

phobik2000

Post by phobik2000 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:45 am

I think there«s something in the release notes about midi clock sync.

dootdoot

Post by dootdoot » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:35 am

Does anyone have anything more specific that might help? I guess it could be nothing but jitter, but I though that the MIDI sync operation would keep working to make the slave machine match tempo with the master. What it sounds like is that the only thing synchronized is the start up, and the two systems start to drift apart immediately.

Emlyn

Post by Emlyn » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:57 pm

I've been trying this for a while now and don'dt seem to be getting anywhere, I've followed everything but when trey to hit play on the slave the track just flashes.

Setup Sony Vaio PC Master
BCR2000

Dell PC Slave
M-audio Audiophile Firewire
Xsession Pro

Running the Midi cable from BC to Audiophile

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:22 pm

Will this work?

Looks like it should in theory, don't wanna do anything complicated, just clock the slave off the master (no bpm changes or anything)...

.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

canine

Post by canine » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:22 pm

We have been using Network MIDI over wifi with two MacBook Pros. One creates a Computer-to-computer network, the other joins, then it sometimes takes more than one try to hook them together -- afterwards it's all smooth sailing.

Very tight Midi, no problems at all, except for the accumulated latencies since we hook one of the two into the analog inputs of the other (Mackie Satellite into a Focusrite Saffire 26). Both have buffers of 128 and it works most of the time...;)

Kai

DJYoshaBYD

Post by DJYoshaBYD » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:29 pm

you need a few things.. search for and download the following

MidiClock
MidiViaLAN
MidiYoke

get all those, and install them

open midi clock, and set the tempo you will be playing at

open live on both computers

set both live computers to sync to midiyoke in 1

set MidiClock to outut to MidiYoke 1

open MidiViaLAN, and set the input to MidiYoke 1, and the output to MidiYoke 1

enter the IP address of the other computer

hit EXT on ableton

click START on MidiClock

Click STAR on MidiViaLAN

now, you should have MidiClock sending clock signals to YOUR ableton, and the other ableton on the pc

NOTE!!! This ONLY works well in SESSION mode.. check out my thread in general, and follow the link that someone gave me near the end of it.. Its a ten minute video with COSM, that explains how to set your tracks for session mode...

I JUST figured this out this morning

if you have any issues with it, I will help you.. hit me up

DJYoshaBYD@yahoo.com

Fritz

simultaneous Live

Post by Fritz » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:15 pm

using the Network midi directions above from trknopnyc, I've got my MBP and G4 pbook Midi sync'd.
What I'd like to have is the 2 laptops trigger the same cues simultaneously from the MBP using this connection.
Is this possible?
It'll work if I "ready" the clip in the 2nd set up, but I'd like to skip that step.

Trent

Re: simultaneous Live

Post by Trent » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:11 pm

Fritz wrote:using the Network midi directions above from trknopnyc, I've got my MBP and G4 pbook Midi sync'd.
What I'd like to have is the 2 laptops trigger the same cues simultaneously from the MBP using this connection.
Is this possible?
It'll work if I "ready" the clip in the 2nd set up, but I'd like to skip that step.
Did you get this working? Was it due to remote not being set on one of them?

Emergence

Re:

Post by Emergence » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:16 pm

gabster wrote:Hi Folks!

We are getting closer to total success with syncing our macs. We were able to sync the transport, the tempo etc.

However - we want now to sync the MIDI mapping so we can sync scene changes, etc. We both have controllers connected to our macs via usb and both of us are using a Firepod each.

That synced MIDI mapping is something we couldn't get a hold of yet. So if anyone has a suggestion or anything, please let us know.

THIS ALL IS ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!!! Imagine the fun!

Gabi.
We Want To do the same, we managed (don't know exactly how) to do it one time but it was really bug (gy). So anyone ?
Here is a topic about our problem explained with more details and pics .

Check this out !
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=130002

Fritz

Re: Please help me sync two laptops with live on both!!

Post by Fritz » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:36 am

I never got it to trigger both from the MBP without "readying" the 2nd laptop.
But I think I'm gonna get a LaunchPad if that does the job.