How is he doing this?!

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
ikke

Post by ikke » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:28 pm

ff4sale wrote:found this on the same page http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8VL1TVwjW0 8O 8O
now THATS music making ;)

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:07 pm

Incredibly inspiring.

I must get a foot controller!
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

D DAS

Post by D DAS » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:21 am

DeadlyKungFu wrote:
prospect wrote:How did he get Live to do those "note repeats" like on the MPC ?
The Beat Repeat plug-in that comes with Live 5.
are you sure about that fu? you mean when he was playing the trigger finger and was getting those rolling notes that was a beat repeat? i remember when m-audio had the trigger finger demo video on their site they had someone playing an impulse in live and they were getting these rolling notes based on how long the guy was holding his finger on a pad, didn't think that was beat repeat though. i must try again. any other hints at this are appreciated.

cool video!

d~

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:45 pm

D DAS wrote:
DeadlyKungFu wrote:
prospect wrote:How did he get Live to do those "note repeats" like on the MPC ?
The Beat Repeat plug-in that comes with Live 5.
are you sure about that fu? you mean when he was playing the trigger finger and was getting those rolling notes that was a beat repeat? i remember when m-audio had the trigger finger demo video on their site they had someone playing an impulse in live and they were getting these rolling notes based on how long the guy was holding his finger on a pad, didn't think that was beat repeat though. i must try again. any other hints at this are appreciated.

cool video!

d~
You're right. I'm sure he was just triggering samples. I posted that in response to getting note repeats without going into what it really sounded like. Keep it simple.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:52 pm

you can set audio clips to launch in "repeat" launch mode in clip view, and set quantization to 1/16th note. this mimmicks akai note repeat.

i think that feature has been around since Live 1.5

prospect

Post by prospect » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:52 am

AdamJay wrote:you can set audio clips to launch in "repeat" launch mode in clip view, and set quantization to 1/16th note. this mimmicks akai note repeat.

i think that feature has been around since Live 1.5
That's exactly what I was looking for !
Thank you.

So now this raises just a few more Q's (in an effort to ditch my mpc).

1. Is it possible to do this with Impulse, or must it be only in Clip mode.
So in other words; Do I need to set up a clip for each drum sound?
Or can I trigger the individual sounds in Impulse using Note Repeat?

2. Can "repeat" mode be assigned to a MIDI controller in an effort to have the "note repeat" button like the on MPC?

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:25 am

You could turn on an arpeggiator effect with a MIDI control. That would give you on/off repeat function with Impulse, and even get knob control of velocity & the rhythmic intervals.

Ashish

Post by Ashish » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:35 am

Freeeaakkk,awesome video...well guys i am new to ableton and wanna learn a lot!! can you tell me a thread for noobs where they can learn, coz i am a lay man when it comes to ableton!!! and its intense!

thanks!!

capta1nA

Post by capta1nA » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:55 pm

it looks like he also has a Boss DD-20 Delay pedal next to the MIDI board, but i'm pretty sure he doesn't use it in this video.

http://bossus.com/index.asp?pg=1&tmp=121

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:50 pm

DeadlyKungFu wrote:

longjohns wrote:
somehow ended up watching qbert videos for like an hour

Laughing
yeah i just recently stumbled accross the one where he plays an about 10min. amazing drum solo with just one scratched record. AMAZING! 8O 8O 8O