Supercharging startup with VSTs

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
aMUSEd

Supercharging startup with VSTs

Post by aMUSEd » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:06 pm

Sorry if this is well known already - I couldn't find anything but I've only had Live a day. I found a way to get it to load much faster if you have lots of VSTs (well tbh even a few seems to take quite a while compared to some hosts). I've been testing this method out today while I sorted out my plugins and it seems to work very well.

Instead of directing Live to your main VST folder create a new one (I made one in the Resources folder). Unlike any other host I know Live can work with shortcuts to plugins and plugin folders (this is for windows - not sure about Macs which have Aliases but it might work the same way).

Once you have a new folder just select which plugins you want and drag a shortcut for each plugin (not the folder, just the plugin dll) into it. You can create sub folders too and drag shortcuts inside these and they will show up inside Live but do not drag a shortcut to a VST folder or subfolder as this will slow things down again.

I've found this method has several advantages:

1) It speeds up startup scan dramatically - I suspect that most hosts have to take time sorting through a plugin folder - most plugin folders, even the best organised, have extra files in them - from presets and samples to gui elements or even support dlls (though they shouldn't in principle). If there are lots of these, some VST's may have hundreds of presets for example, scanning can be slowed considerably. It also seems to speed up startup even after a boot - Live doesn't spend ages scanning even on first load after rebooting.

2) I suspect it's also more stable as there is less for Live to trip up on while scanning and less loaded into memory.

3) It's a good way of collecting a toolkit just for Live rather than having to use all the plugins you have you can cherry pick the most suitable and compatible ones. This would be great for all hosts if they supported shortcuts - plugins are supposed to be there to add features a host lacks so a host doesn't have to be all things to all people (and hence blaoted). However different hosts have different strengths and weaknesses so ideally it would be better to have customised toolkits of plugins rather than one kit for all.

4) Unlike the alternative method of creating a custom Live VST folder and moving a select group of VST's into it this method means when you update a plugin in the central shared folder it's automaticaly updated for Live too. It also means the plugins can still find dependencies which is more problematic if you move them to a custom folder.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:29 am

didn't seem to make a lot of difference here. i think what you may be noticing is the effect of minimising the folders in the browser. if i have all the folders for each vst minimised live starts really quick, but if they're all open showing the plugin dll's it'll scan everything and take ages....

it's a good tip for organising particular toolkits for tracks etc. though :D
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

aMUSEd

Post by aMUSEd » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:03 am

I don't think having folders open or closed is much of a factor on my system at least. It certainly works very well for me - before I did this even having just one folder loaded took ages as it was scanning every plugin everytime (this was the NI Komplete folder) - the actual folder was closed in the tree. Now it opens within 5 seconds. I think maybe it makes more difference if your VST folder has lots of extra files like hundreds of presets and samples. This way its always just scanning the dll's you want it to scan and nothing more.

handojin

Post by handojin » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:55 am

try adding /prefetch:1 to the shortcuts target of ableton under properties..
im pretty sure it sped up mine a tad bit but i might be trippin..