Help: Midi controlled 'Pitch control' like on turntables.

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
kpa

Help: Midi controlled 'Pitch control' like on turntables.

Post by kpa » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:12 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to control the (global) tempo of a ableton session so that I can speed it up or slow it down to beatmix it into a dj set. What i am looking to do is play tracks on tt's and use live like and extra couple of decks, but with loops, re-edits etc. But i need to pitch it up/down like using tt's.

Can you assign the tempo to midi (id use a fader on my trigger finger)? As i am unable to do this, or figure out another way to do it. And im not keen on using the up/down keys on my computer keyboard all the time.

I know i could just use live to do dj sets, but i like using turntables ( i have technics sldz 1200's), and im keen to use them both. My plan is 2 sldz's, and the other 2 channels on my mixer taking sound from Live's A & B crossfaders, or just 2 outs.

Any ideas appreciated. This forum is sooo useful.

Cheers,

kpa

Sten

Post by Sten » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:34 pm

Yep, you can do it. Hit control-m to bring live into midi map mode, click on the tempo level in the upper left, move your midi fader of choice. Be sure to mess with the min/max settings for the control so that you're adjusting between 110bpm and 140bpm instead of 20 and 200.

I'm not sure if trigger finger supports it, but you should also have better action using a relative midi mode as opposed to absolute.

MathematiK I

Post by MathematiK I » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:49 am

Don't forget to use 're pitch' warp mode for audio files...
you can also find some other neat tricks around the forum for controlling two decks individually...
try abletonlivedj.com....

cheers.
the artist formerly known as 3dot...

mjmedik

Post by mjmedik » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:31 pm

If you really want to control the tempo like a turntable or CDJ then set the min value higher than the max value. That way when you move the slider down, the pitch goes up
(i.e set the min to 135 and the max to 120.)
_________________________________________________________________________________________
17" Macbook Pro, Motu Ultralite, UC-33, X-session, O2 Keyboard, Korg PadKONTROL, Glyph HD

djmichaelwenz

how to set min max value?

Post by djmichaelwenz » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:05 am

Im down with this moving a fader to control pitch... How Do I set MIN/MAX Values? I want to do it with my UC-33 master fader? I can see it in the arrange veiw and change it but it still goes 60-200?
Professional Ableton Mixing and Analog Mastering? https://www.wenzmastering.com

djmichaelwenz

figured it out here

Post by djmichaelwenz » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:35 am

Professional Ableton Mixing and Analog Mastering? https://www.wenzmastering.com

Patch

Post by Patch » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:58 am

you can also find some other neat tricks around the forum for controlling two decks individually...
Can you?

Frantic

Post by Frantic » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:06 am

How do you set the min/max values? I'm using Live 4.

Think I saw a link above but I'm not signed up on that forum.