Can you record VST automation in realtime to a clip?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
p_insect

Can you record VST automation in realtime to a clip?

Post by p_insect » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:41 am

Hopefully this isn't a dumb question...

I'd like to incorporate VST automation into midi clips. It's easy to record automation on the arrange view, but it goes to the track and not the clip. Is there a way to record in realtime directly to a clip envelope?

I've been using the workaround where I'll record the envelope in arrange view and then copy this to the session view, but this is a pain and always seems to make me lose my train of thought for some reason.

Help?

bendy

Post by bendy » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:02 pm

I'd like to incorporate VST automation into midi clips. It's easy to record automation on the arrange view, but it goes to the track and not the clip. Is there a way to record in realtime directly to a clip envelope?
It's not a dumb question. I would like to be able to do the same. Is there a way to record vst automation directly into a midi clip in realtime

Can someone please help on this???

I must be missing something.

diverdee

Post by diverdee » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:10 pm

I may be wrong, but I don't think there is.
I record the vst sutomation to the track & then ahve to cut paste into the clip & then reset the track automation level in order that the automation will sound right.
I wish there was an option to 'record to clip'.
Maybe it's something to do with clip automation being relative to the track levels?

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:04 pm

It is not a dumb question and you can find a number of threads about this very topic. The Abes say it is not possible to "record to clip" because of the program architecture. If I remember correctly you can record automation in Arrange and then drag the clip to Session view to incorporate the changes - but don't quote me on that.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:13 pm

The reason is that in arrange the automation is absolute (filter all the way up=all the way open) And in clips the filter is relative to where the knob is set and to the arrange automation, so you can have some LFO like modulation from the clip and it gets added to the arrange automation.

And yes, for now you can record envelopes in arrange, cut & paste them into clips.

The relative envelopes concept is brilliant, by the way, even if it's slighly annoying that you have to draw the envelope or use this workaround.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:11 am

djsynchro wrote: The relative envelopes concept is brilliant, by the way, even if it's slighly annoying that you have to draw the envelope or use this workaround.
True very true.

The other issue I have with it is you cannot go both directions - e.g. on most parameters you can either increase from resting point or decrease, but not both. The Abes have a reason for that as well, but as a nonprogrammer type I don't understand it 100%.