uc-33

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
bagual / Chile

uc-33

Post by bagual / Chile » Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:19 pm

guys,.... i live in Patagonia. Nobody know´s nothing about midi around here. Do you know some website or article about using uc33 with live??

thanks. :(

saladspinatra

yeah and while you're at it..

Post by saladspinatra » Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:20 am

supposing someone from ableton could include a better picture of the evolution overlay. I want to see how they suggest using it.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:39 pm

regaurdless of the overlay, you could map the uc-33 controls to Live any way you want. So given that there are that many knobs, faders, and buttons--you could assing each to do whatever you want. The faders could control track volumes, knobs could control send levels, pans, effect parameters--sky is the limit. you could save different temlates on the uc-33, or just keep the same one and save some blank live sets that have the controls routed as you desire--both are flexible, so skys the limit. Midi mapping in live is very easy.

Ryan

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:01 pm

I've been trying for weeks to get some specific feedback o this peice but so far no responses. Haven't seen any industry reviews either.

ethios4

uc33 works great

Post by ethios4 » Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:48 pm

The UC33 works great with Live, in my opinion. 24 knobs is a good amount to work with. Its great having 14 buttons to work with also. They can be reassigned on the UC33 to different MIDI commands (eg.- note on/off, note on, note off, etc) The UC33 is possibly a little flimsy, so I would be a little careful with it, but I really believe it will hold up on the road quite well. One other possible problem...if you quickly turn a knob all the way, or slam a fader up all the way, there is maybe a 150ms delay for the data to catch. This seems to hold true for USB out & MIDI out...strange. On the other hand, the only comparable options I've seen are Novation Remote25 (US$499) or Doepfer's Drehbank (US$499) so it seems the UC33 wins out, in my opinion.

HajoCorsten

Re: uc-33

Post by HajoCorsten » Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:48 pm

bagual / Chile wrote: Nobody know´s nothing about midi around here. Do you know some website or article about using uc33 with live??(
Hi Bagual,
here are some websites
http://www.midifarm.com/
http://www.ping.at/users/akainz/midimani.htm

Concerning evol's uc-33: Plug the usb-wire and assign controllers as you wish. There are two ready-made uc33-for-Live-files on the Evolution website that spare you the assigning hassle for new projects.

There's no difference to any other MIDI-controllerbox in the world, they all function the same way (they usually fall into two categories: absolute and continuous controllers, which specifics I don't have the breath to extemporate for the moment. Yet both methods have their pros and cons. only expensive high end gear, as usual, combines the pros of both methods).

Regards, hajo

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:34 am

Hi, I bought the UC-33 + Ableton bundle about a month ago and have been experiencing the same kind of lazy fader response. I E-mailed evolution about it and they at first thought I had a faulty unit. Apparently after testing a few other UC-33s they concluded that I was the first person in thousands to discover their "anti jitter feature" I don't think they realise how fast some of us like to move faders! I e-mailed them back suggeting they include a switch to turn their smoothing feature off in future releases. They said they'd consider it. I've not tried another type of controller like a Kenton for instance. I'd be interested to find out if their any quicker, or if they are do they have "jitter"
If you like to "bang" faders and want a controller, don't buy a UC33. If you want VERY smooth accurate faders, get one ASAP cos apart from that it's brilliant.

UC-33 'anti-jitter feature'

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:14 pm

aproofed: the uc-33 has an overall 'delay' while my Doepfer Pocket Dial is as immediate as can be, even plugged through Evo's MIDI-in. I think it ok with the faders but rather disagreeable with the knobs. Yes, if the Evo-guys are listening - by the way, Evolution just have been swallowed by M-Audio - , and that feature is a soft one, they should try for an optional configuration.

Cheers, Ampersand

saladspinatra

took awhile didn't it?

Post by saladspinatra » Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:20 pm

hello my friend from Chile,

I'm finally seeing the uc-33 in the stores. One thing I can tell you, is it's a bit tiny. doesn't look too sturdy. Inexpensive, yes. But the one thing you might not know from the websites is the scale. I'm feeling the uc-33, but I'm also waiting for the novation remote25 audio-more knobs and more filler.

Nub

UC-33

Post by Nub » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:30 pm

Hi Bagual

We use the UC-33 extensively with live - how can we help you?

Feel free to mail off the forum if you want, use allgoneorange@yahoo.com

Best wishes

Nub

ethios4

replies

Post by ethios4 » Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:19 pm

ahhh, its so good to hear some feedback on the slow fader/knob response.of the UC-33. Evolution never emailed me back..."anti-jitter" makes since, cuz my Evol mk249c sends erratic CC spikes on a smooth turn of the knob, which is FAR more annoying than Slightly sluggish response of maybe 100-150ms on the UC-33. my mk249c also freaked out in near freezing temps, but i tested the UC-33 by placing it in the freezer for 15 mins; knobs/faders harder to turn, but no hangups or jitter. I'm having a blast with the Live/UC-33 combo!

Re: yeah and while you're at it..

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:38 am

saladspinatra wrote:supposing someone from ableton could include a better picture of the evolution overlay. I want to see how they suggest using it.
to be honest, while it looks nice, I ended up taking mine off because I found you end up personalising it so much it became more of a hindrance than a help. The big realisation about it i had, which might have been obvious but i just figured it out is that you have 16 midi channels and live records each assignment according to midi channel, so that basically means you can set virtually everything you have in your set and just change midi transmit channels on the uc-33 so that you can, say have one channel doing the main mixer, another doing the master and send fx parameters, one doing just a resonator - (loads of fun if on the master channel!) and so on - I have a yamaha cs2x as well, so i assign that to one midi channel and the uc-33 to something else and find that there's not much you can't do.

:D