build ups

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
djcyph

build ups

Post by djcyph » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:17 pm

hi i'm still fairly new at the whole production thing. I have a pretty good grasp of ableton now, like how to use and get around the problem. Anyways, I've read a good amount of the tutorials here and elsewhere on the net. I still have not come across a tutorial for buildups in a song. I fooled around with like consecutive drums in a row with a volume envolope but didn't really sound any good at all. Is that how I am suppossed to go about it and I just have to master the envolope? Any pointers/tips/tutorials would be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys

HiEnergy

Post by HiEnergy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:35 am

There are many other parameters that are quite more interesting for a buildup than volume.
Try to automate things like filter frequencies, effect settings on flanger, phaser distortion/quality reducer or delay.
Almost every knob you see on your screen can be target of a mod envelope.

Most important: be creative!

stay tuned
HiEnergy

gregorythis

Post by gregorythis » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:15 pm

yea dude enevelopes are where its at.

djcyph

Post by djcyph » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:07 pm

thanks guys for the response. you got any examples or tutorials or know where I can find any on the subject?

should i just search for more envolope tutorials?

thanks again

slicedbread

Post by slicedbread » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:37 pm

whaddya mean by build-ups?

a track can't all be build-ups... kinda like how we all can't be millionaires. burgers would be like $200 and that would suck.

think of tension and release. my problem was i'd have so many things going on constantly that nothing seemed prominant anymore... kinda like when you put too much stuff on a burger... it becomes like a leafy salad on top of a meat patty.

build up stuff heavily in your tracks, then carefully remove elements to build arches. build-ups will happen when before there was just a groove.

(i skipped lunch today... is it obvious?)

djcyph

Post by djcyph » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:38 pm

by build up i guess i mean like crazy intense drum fillls......there is obviously like other stuff in there besides the filles for builds ups, but like when i put drum notes right next to each other and try using volume envolope it sounds horrible...just looking for tips or tutorial to help to start experimenting in the right direction

slicedbread

Post by slicedbread » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:27 am

ohhh... that kind of build up. well the best advice i ever got was this: hear it in your head before you try to make it. for that kind of build up you might try drawing velocity ramps instead of mucking with an envelope. very short delays with very short feedbacks works too.