UC33e native support

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
xrayfish

UC33e native support

Post by xrayfish » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:35 am

I see that Live 6 has finally included UC33e native surface control support. However it doesn't use half the controls and is pretty useless except for level controls and 8 parameter settings.
Here's a workaround that uses all the buttons, faders and knobs and lets you control pretty much everything. It works for me on a minimac dual-core, may be worth a try.
I used Enigma for editing the UC33. You could also do it by inputting the values directly into the control surface.
Here's how:
In live preferences set Control Surface 1 to BCR2000, and Control Surface 2 to MackieControl. For both set input to UC-33 USB MIDI Controller (Port 1)
The Mackie control protocol lets you do all kind of things with the buttons; the BCR control lets you use the rotary knobs as parameter tweakers and sends 1 and 2. Faders and transport controls common to both (at least the way I've set it up)
Uc33e settings - I've designated programs 1 and 4 to mackie, 3 to BCR (program 2 is left clear for Reason 3 to hijack). You could of course use any program slot you like, whatever's easiest.
I've posted screenshots of the settings at the url below ( sorry but it would take ages to type them all out here) I've also put the exported setting here but not sure if it will work (i'm new to this stuff) javascript:emoticon(':oops:')
Note each setting uses global channel 1

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paultyler3 ... _settings/

How to use it

Once you've programmed in the settings, it works as follows
press Preset 1 - buttons control up/down left/right fire clip/scene etc
top row knobs send 1
middle row send 2
bottom row - nothing (I'd like them to do pan but can't find CCs for that - anybody know what they are in BCR2000 or Mackie?)

Preset 3
top row and middle row as above
bottom row - tweak parameters
buttons - change parameter set

Preset 4
knobs as per preset 1
buttons control everything that wasn't covered in preseet 1 eg changing views, set marker, etc.

Its still not finished, some of buttons do the same thing but I'm waiting to try it out some more before changing them. At least this gives you the basics, youcan easily change to suit yourself.

Hope this is of some help - took me ages fiddling around with a midi keyboard to find the trigger 'notes'

(BTW did you know you can control live with a 'recognised' midi keyboard in the same way - set channel to 1 and just hit the right notes to move up/down trigger clip/scene/ etc etc, just as in the UC33e screenshot example? Just set control, surface to Mackie control and choose your midi keyboard as the controller )

PS apologies for the crap website - its just somewhere to stick stuff and try things out at the moment javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

emptypond

Post by emptypond » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:35 am

thanks for this..saves me alot of time! dunno if its just me but setting uc-33e as control surface nothing responded and i didnt feel like manually programming everything ..again... so this is good :)

also have u seen this thread http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30237 has much info on mackie emulation

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Can't seem to get your settings to work on this.. was hoping for Mackie control transport (left and right mainly).. will plug away..
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:49 pm

ahh.. got it sorted.. just neede to re'upload' your settings to the uc33e.. works a treat... thanks very much..
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

davec1

Post by davec1 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:41 am

since I have the uc33 and not the uc33e, I have to do this manually, seems to be working so far, though! thx! :D

my faders are inverted however (assigned them to pitchbend). I've tried switching the msb and lsb values, that doesn't seem to help, though.

any ideas?

xrayfish

Post by xrayfish » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:53 pm

Not really, I don't really understand this stuff, its all trial and error. I do recall there was a 'drawbar mode' on the UC33 which reversed the fader directions - is this something you can check?

premodea

Post by premodea » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:23 pm

what is that program organizing program you are using in the pics? did that come with the UC-33e?

davec1

Post by davec1 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:46 pm

I do recall there was a 'drawbar mode' on the UC33 which reversed the fader directions - is this something you can check?
thanks, that did the trick!

coverdale76

Re: UC33e native support

Post by coverdale76 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:49 pm

xrayfish wrote:I see that Live 6 has finally included UC33e native surface control support.

Hi xrayfish:

I'm new to here and have both UC-33e and Ableton Live 6 work. Wanna know which preset number should be set for UC-33e to launch the "Native Surface Control Support" from Live 6?

Till now, only channel volumn faders work when I set it to preset number 1 but other controllers(ex. Transport's functions, channel pan etc.)

I had set all relative parameters of UC-33e in the Preferences / MIDI Sync tab colums

Thank you very much~

Lord Kahn

Post by Lord Kahn » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:32 am

Only the top row of knobs and the sliders are assigned to anything when you have the native support on. The other knobs, buttons etc you have to assign yourself using MIDI learn (or some clever hacking maybe?).

coverdale76

Post by coverdale76 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:37 pm

Lord Kahn wrote:Only the top row of knobs and the sliders are assigned to anything when you have the native support on. The other knobs, buttons etc you have to assign yourself using MIDI learn (or some clever hacking maybe?).
Thank you Lord.
Guess I should set them all by myself~