Help a noob turn a guitar riff into a bassline?

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
pixelbox

Help a noob turn a guitar riff into a bassline?

Post by pixelbox » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:36 pm

Hi all! I hope I'm posting in the right place..I did search the forums for this kind of topic/question but couldn't find much, so if you have a link to another forum post, that'd be great!!!!

ANYWAY,

I'm new to Ableton Live 5, but I saw in one of the video showcases, this one guitarist recorded a riff and then transposed the riff down 12 semi-tones to create a bass part. There was also an example of this in the tutorial section of the main Ableton website.

Well, I did this, but it sounds like SH**. Because I'm picking, it sounds like "WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP", and the tone of it is really gross. The video I saw/heard made it sound great...the opposite of mine. Can anyone give me some tips on how to make my crappy sounding "bass" better?

I am using a completely dry guitar signal to record, and then I am trying various things to help out the bass, like compression, reverb, chorus, none of it makes it really sound all that better. Oh, also, I am not red-lining anything. As a matter of fact I typically have to boost the DB of the recording to balance the mix.

Any advice? :oops:

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:15 pm

double click the clip to open clip view, adjust the pitch there, or use an audio pitch plug-in.

pixelbox

Post by pixelbox » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:15 pm

[quote="DeadlyKungFu"]double click the clip to open clip view, adjust the pitch there, or use an audio pitch plug-in.[/quote]

Umm. Thanks. I must be doing an awful job of explaining myself...let me retry:

I already know HOW to adjust the pitch, I just need some insight in how to make it not sound like I'm thumping a bungee cord over a 5 gallon plastic bucket.

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:23 pm

dropping it an octave is almost invariably going to make it sound that way (because you're roughly creating the sound of a guitar string twice as loose as the low e). lots of compression and eq with some sat might work, but it's never really going to sound like a bass guitar, if that's what you're after.

you can actually get some pretty good results without messing with the octave, playing bass line on low e of guitar, but eqing it to lose all the highend, boost the lows, helps to play string with your thumb, etc.

Darwinist

Post by Darwinist » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:41 pm

I´d try to get a pitch-to-midi plugin, then use the resulting midi file to drive a synth bass. You might be able to do this live....

Dunno though, don´t play guitar and have never tried it.

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:59 pm

low pass might help.

try the bass synth on here as well, not ideal but you can get some interesting results.

Machinate

Re: Help a noob turn a guitar riff into a bassline?

Post by Machinate » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:14 pm

pixelbox wrote:but it sounds like SH**. Because I'm picking,
Playing style is definitely the best way to alter the results. finger-style playing on the guitar close to the neck would work best, I guess?
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:22 pm

take the sample on to the arrange page. I presume its a loop? Cut the audio in to sections so that each note is seperated. Do this with warp off. Then drag each note to impulse cells and transpose the notes in there. if there is to much of a click edit the start knob of the cell, that will get rid of the transient clicks. if it still isnt right you have more editing options with simpler but if iits different notes you will need multiple instances as your still using version 5. The benifit of this method is your not restricted with a warped clip and you can play the notes via midi or the computer keyboard and make up new basslines. Not forgetting it will sound better. If this is only one note your looking to transpose then simpler is your best bet

Your issue isnt that important. Whats really important is me getting an akai mpc 4000. Im getting one very soon and cant wait to be freed from the computer ball and chain :twisted:
HA HA HA :twisted:

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:01 am

Unless you're willing to change strings on the guitar [in which case, a wound G will help with that one a bit, and heavier rounds overall might help]:

Play like a bassist.

Use your thumb and finger to pick near the neck pickup.

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:01 am

Try different warp modes. Maybe they'll change the end result.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:46 am

Darwinist wrote:I´d try to get a pitch-to-midi plugin, then use the resulting midi file to drive a synth bass. You might be able to do this live....

Dunno though, don´t play guitar and have never tried it.
I'd be surprised if that worked well, or even using a guitar synth, but you'd probably get closest with really fat strings, playing like a bass player plays the strings, and, if you just gotta do this live, maybe use a Roland VG or a Variax [but you still gotta change the unwound G string to a wound one to keep it from sounding cartoony boingy like a springy boingy thing].

pixelbox

Post by pixelbox » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:31 pm

[quote="mooncaine"][quote="Darwinist"]I´d try to get a pitch-to-midi plugin, then use the resulting midi file to drive a synth bass. You might be able to do this live....

Dunno though, don´t play guitar and have never tried it.[/quote]

I'd be surprised if that worked well, or even using a guitar synth, but you'd probably get closest with really fat strings, playing like a bass player plays the strings, and, if you just gotta do this live, maybe use a Roland VG or a Variax [but you still gotta change the unwound G string to a wound one to keep it from sounding cartoony boingy like a springy boingy thing].[/quote]

I appreciate the tip, but in reality, changing the guage of one's srtings would require a brand new set up of one's guitar (action, intonation, etc)...sounds like a lot of work just to get a bass tone for practice music.

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:51 pm

sorry, just realised i forgot the link....

bass synth - http://frettedsynth.asseca.com/atsynths.html

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:08 pm

pixelbox wrote:I appreciate the tip, but in reality, changing the guage of one's srtings would require a brand new set up of one's guitar (action, intonation, etc)...sounds like a lot of work just to get a bass tone for practice music.
I agree, but then I didn't know that was the only reason you wanted bass. Maybe you explained that and I missed it.

If all you want is bass to practice with, I say, "live with the boing" or use a synth for bass.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:51 pm

I used a transposed guitar to play the low bass notes in this track, this is a lo-fi sample but you get a pretty good idea:

http://audio.cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/u/t/utenzil2-06.mp3

You do have to adjust your picking style a bit, and mute a little with the heel of your right hand. Use a fair amount of compression on the original dry guitar signal and pick softly, using the rhythm pickup only. It's ok to use a little chorus also, but let the compressor, not the pick, give you the volume on the notes.

Afterwards, more compression and a lot of EQ will help. Chorus and gated reverb will help warm it up a bit.

The fretted synths are cool, also, try those.