How (and what) do I use in Live 5 to "beat slice"

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
adambaum

How (and what) do I use in Live 5 to "beat slice"

Post by adambaum » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:53 pm

Hi all, I use the PC version of live 5, I also use reason through it, it seems to work great together.

What I would like to know is how and in what view can I take a prerecorded beat and slice it up, and finally sequence it into a whole new beat.

I want to try to make an "Amen Break" DnB tune for practice purposes.

So far I have taken the middle of the Winstons song Amen Brother, and I recorded it into arrangement view, and unfold it so I can see the wave form.
From this point how do I slice the beat into individual parts (ie: kick, snare, hihat etc.)

any help would be appreciated.

adam

flipvert

Post by flipvert » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:49 am

left click your mouse pointer on the start of the kik / snare etc of your waveform, then hold CTRL and press E

then left click on the end of your waveform you want to cut say the end of a snare (if its warped, it should be on the line grid of ableton) then hold CTRL and press E again, now you have a little segment that you can drag into another audio channel. and you can arrange all the other bits you want with the same process to make an edited beat...

hope that helps, ps look into propellerheads RECYLE 2.0 , that does it for you by moving the segment slider... then export as wav and import into ableton an arrange....

cheers :)

DJ VAKIS

Post by DJ VAKIS » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:11 am

Also you can load the samples you just cut on the impulse,and play them with a midi controler.
http://www.myspace.com/djvakis
http://mix2r.fm/audio/user/221

----------------------------------------
MacBookPro 13" Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz 2GB
Live 8 -Operator -Sampler
AKAI LPD8-GENELEC 1029A-iPhone runing TouchOSC.

adambaum

Post by adambaum » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:44 pm

Thx for the replys ppl.

I am using the M audio oxygen 8 (older model) which is a usb midi controller/keyboard, as U had mentioned. So once I drop the slices in the slots of the impulse I can just use my keyboard (not surfaces) to play the pieces?

hey guys also, I noticed that (as far as I can see, I come from a more hardware type background) the stuff that I play into the midi channel has major advantages as far as "sequencing" the midi notes in whatever view that is called (when U are looking at the midi notes and valocities etc.) so U can really re arrange and compose, but I notice that my drums are all wave forms, can I get them into midi form somehow so i can sequence them, or should i just delve a little deeper into the waveforms, is there a similar way to arrange with waveforms as there is with midi, thx in advance you have already been helpful. adam

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:01 pm

:cry: :x
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

Darwinist

Post by Darwinist » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:16 pm

adambaum wrote:Thx for the replys ppl.

I am using the M audio oxygen 8 (older model) which is a usb midi controller/keyboard, as U had mentioned. So once I drop the slices in the slots of the impulse I can just use my keyboard (not surfaces) to play the pieces?

hey guys also, I noticed that (as far as I can see, I come from a more hardware type background) the stuff that I play into the midi channel has major advantages as far as "sequencing" the midi notes in whatever view that is called (when U are looking at the midi notes and valocities etc.) so U can really re arrange and compose, but I notice that my drums are all wave forms, can I get them into midi form somehow so i can sequence them, or should i just delve a little deeper into the waveforms, is there a similar way to arrange with waveforms as there is with midi, thx in advance you have already been helpful. adam
Drag the waveform into the slots in Impulse. Then create an empty MIDI clip in that channel. Arm the channel and you can now draw MIDI notes to trigger the Impulse slots.

adambaum

Post by adambaum » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:00 pm

Once again thx for the tips,

I will try all the things I have gleamed from U guys (so far) and repost on this thread if I have any other questions, have a nice hallows eve all, Adam

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:26 am

stale bread wrote::cry: :x
I agree

:x :x
HA HA HA :twisted:

adambaum

Post by adambaum » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:29 pm

mercyplease wrote:
stale bread wrote::cry: :x
I agree

:x :x