THE Rack List. (What can you do with Racks?)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
jasinski

THE Rack List. (What can you do with Racks?)

Post by jasinski » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:05 pm

Edited on November 26, 2018. Unfortunately almost every link is dead.
[jur]

Share your useful, creative, crazy, or just weird racks.
If you use 3rd party plug-in include what it is in the description.
For easy reference I will maintain a list at the top of this thread that collects all the racks that are posted.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Effect Racks
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Instrument Racks
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Oper808
by mdk: its an early version of his 808 emulator built using just Operator and Live's built in fx.
Requires Ableton's Operator

AM drum kit 1/4/07
by AM: It's an acoustic drum kit... with tweakable mic positions... sounds strange i know, but you get the idea once you see it in action. It's a large download, and it's processor intensive.... but it's pretty good for getting a range of Acoustic drum sounds.... and also for messing with until you get really odd sounds.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Effect racks dead links:

Glitch drum effect
By Jasinski: Fancy BeatRepeat effect. Good for drum loops.

Synth-a-fy
By Jasinski: Using Resonator to "play" clips as tones.

Arp and Repeat
By Jasinski: Combo of Arpegigator and beat repeat to create interesting rhythmic effects.

Masher
By fatrabbit: 8 Beat Repeats mapped to a chain control so you can use a knob on your MIDI controller to select which one you want.

DJM-800 style filters
By cjyetman: Single-knob controlled filter

Sweepable Crossover
by ethios4: The Sweepable Crossover allows you to apply an effects chain to either side of a crossover that can be moved freely with perfect transparency.

Utility Trick(1.9MB)
by AdamJay: Demonstrates how you can use the Width knob of 1 Utility Plugin to remove any material that was not originally panned in your source material.

Glitch Rack
by 3rdordertrauma: For all the fans of glitchy random broken beat kinda sounds. And for those of us who don't have the "Glitch" plug cause we are on mac os.

Das Mangla
by Jasinski: Good for trashing up your sounds.

Glitch Rack 3
by 3rdordertrauma:Its the 3rd generation progression of his first Glitch Rack. Similar in concept just much more tweak-ability!
This rack uses and requires supatrigga.

Glitch 3 as an audio rack
modified by fatrabbit

Glitch 3 for windows
modified by emptypond

Limiter Rack
by rbmonosylabik

HollowVerbs
by jasinski: Reverb and delays with detail.
Uses FabFilter's Volcano

Switcheroo
by jasinski: Using the AutoPan switching trick- alternate between verb and delay.

SupahGliix
by jasinski: Stack up a couple of resonators and multiple BeatRepeats.

FREQazoid
by jasinski: 4 band filters with different effects on each chain. Automate each frequency for added craziness.

LivingEchos
by jasinski: Add some swirling delays to your track.

CrocaGator
by jasinski: Adjust the gate level on chain one and 2 so that it splits the output of your audio in half- the loud stuff gets one effect, the quiet stuff gets another. Interesting results.

KitchenSink
by jasinski: A massive rack with all sorts of goodies- dramatically changes your source audio.

Dirty Sub Bass
by sebovzeoueb:Good for getting a gritty sub heavy tone from an electric bass. It also has a filter sweep assigned to a macro which can be used as a low end Wah type effect.

Live Auto-sampler 1/3/07
by 3rdordertrauma: Not quite a rack per se, but very useful if you are sampling hardware. This will do it nearly automatically. Includes a tutorial.

Beat Divider One 1/8/07
Beat Divider Two
by ethios4: With these racks, each beat has its own chain. Therefore you can apply different effects to each beat, over 1 or 2 measures depending on the rack. This is accomplished by a series of autopans - you can adjust each beat so that it only plays the first 16th note, 8th note, or entire beat by turning on/off the leftmost autopan, or even adding additional autopans on the left end of the chain, according to the pattern already set.

ReBeat 1/28/07
by jasinski: Throw this on your drums and tweak away- An easy way of mangling your beats.

Distortion Canyon 1/28/07
by jasinski: Pretty much how it sounds- good for pads, guitar, or maybe voice.

Impulse Slots Mute 2/01/07
by klinikal: Here is simple MIDI effect rack for those who need groovebox like muting of impulse slots.

DJ-EQ 2/11/07
by hoffman2k: "Some people don't seem to be happy with EQ3 for Dj'ing and find EQ4/8 too complex to set up. So here's my attempt at a DJ EQ.
The requests were only as specific as: "It should not color the sound" and "0dB should be in the middle".

With those 2 features in mind, I built the rack."

DigiDirtDrums 2/14/07
by willum: "Macros control the transposition and duration for each hit, and other parameters like distortion. It's pretty simple, but you can get lots of nice timbres from one kit. I do all my drums like this now."

Stutter's One Knob Filter 2/16/07
by Stutter:here we go then, a one knob filter. Didn't work the way I was thinking to start with, so I had to come up with another one. It needs tweaking still to taste, but the method works, so it's just sorting out a few things to make it work how you want that needs sorting now, which I think everyone can do to their own particular standard.

ALD JM8000 2/17/07
by womoma: Another one knob filter

Master Chain 2/25/07
by shoma: Good mastering chain for your mix.
Requires SimpleSqueeze

Almost Clickless Dual Comp 2/25/07
by rbmonosylabik
Requires Dual Comp AU

16 step Sequencer 3/4/07
by rbmonosylabik: you just mute steps with the chain mute buttons in "Steps" and select pitch, velocity and length in the plugs in each chain. The Scale plug at the end of each chain is for easy pattern transposing. This new one also comes set up to store 8 patterns in a Rack. Use the chain selector in the outer rack to select pattern.

DJ Effects
by Tarekith: A bunch of effects designed with the DJ in mind.

Magic Sendsp 3/22/07
by nolus and updated by Clearscreen

Blitchmyglitch & Scratcher 4/6/07
by Airwave:
Blitchmyglitch is a realtime glitcher that moves all the time. It uses a lot of different fx, redux, beatrepeat, grain delay... quite enjoyable if you like supercollider and livecut stuff.

Scratcher is a tool that lets you program scratches, turntable stop fx, reverses based on any loop that you will load in it. It's extremely addictive and funny.

InstantChip 4/19/07
by Idonotlikebroccoli: Here's a quick and fun one if you wanna make that chip-tune whatever kind of thing. It's a MIDI effect rack which consists of an arpeggiator and two pitch plugins.

Instrument racks dead links:

Automat Drum Kit
By Jasinski: Drum kit build with many instances of Alphakanal's Automat 0.4.2
(Mac only) This rack uses and requires Automat 0.4.2.

Operator Drum Synth
By Forge: Inspired in another thread by mathematik, here's a drum synth using operators.

Trilosequence
by Airwave: Reaktor style sequence, quite cool

The MPC Killer
by 3rdordertrauma: Using 16 instances of Impulse to map 127 chromatic drum hits across the keyboard- Nice!

Arp Kit
by Jasinski: A drum kit using 8 Simplers. Macros hooked up to "sample start" and "loop length" can produce some glitchy style beats using automation. Samples I made using a friends Arp Odessey.

Funk Rock Guitar
by sebovzeoueb: This is a sampler patch which is in fact a "multisampled" elastic band stretched over a ruler, he calls "funky rock guitar".
Requires Ableton's Sampler

Rubber Band- Simpler patches
by jasinski: Using sebovzeoueb's rubber band samples listed above. Using Simpler rather than Sampler, so anyone with Live should be able to load them. There are 2 patches..

Casio VZ-10m "FX instruments" 1/14/07
by jasinski: Using samples from my Casio VZ-10m, here are a bunch of Simpler instruments- "multisampled' by layering Simpler instances into Rack chains- and using the macros to control the loop length and other aspects of the sound. More to come from the VZ-10m. One of my favorite synths for really bizzare sounds.

Kid Beat Box and Pads 1/14/07
by jasinski: A collection of Simpler multi-sampled instrument racks. I recorded my 8 year old making all kinds of sound effects- Kind of fun.

Angstrum Drum Player 2/5/07
by angstrum: Really cool drum kit using the included waveforms in Lives sample library. Set up well for electronic music- lots of presence.

Waveform Kits 2/11/07
By jasinski: Inspired by Angstrum's drum set up, here are a few of my own.
Includes 2 kits, plus a folder containing 16 drum 'hits' as well as a folder of Simpler 'elements' that you can use as a starting point to build other percussive sounds. All using the built in wave forms that come with Live 6.

Drum Selektor 2/14/07
by wollej: Another small drum rack for selecting different kicks, snares, toms via macro controls. Built with 8 instances of Impulse and pitch/scale plugins for selecting the samples in the Impulse players.

Analog Bass 2/24/07
by andropenis:Heres an analogue bassy sound with Sampler.Try sequencing it and switching on/off the lfos
Last edited by jasinski on Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 59 times in total.

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:26 pm

Here's a very simple one...

http://werebunny.com/liveracks/Drum%20Masher.adg (Do 'Save Link As...')

It's simply 8 Beat Repeats mapped to a chain control so you can use a knob on your MIDI controller to select which one you want.

You could also use the Filter within each Beat Repeat to set it to specific elements of the drums (eg. one for bass drum, another for snare etc.), but this is sample specific.

jasinski

Post by jasinski » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:06 pm

fatrabbit wrote:Here's a very simple one...

http://werebunny.com/liveracks/Drum%20Masher.adg (Do 'Save Link As...')

It's simply 8 Beat Repeats mapped to a chain control so you can use a knob on your MIDI controller to select which one you want.

You could also use the Filter within each Beat Repeat to set it to specific elements of the drums (eg. one for bass drum, another for snare etc.), but this is sample specific.
Thanks FatRabbit.
If we collect a bunch of these, I would be happy to put together a website that would serve as a library resource of cool racks.

*sigh*

Post by *sigh* » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:09 pm

can I nominate cjyetman's single knob lo/hi pass filter rack?

as seen here: http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53660

genius combined with hard graft= handiest dj gadget evah!

Airwave

Post by Airwave » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:30 pm

reaktor style sequence, quite cool,

you need operator

http://users.telenet.be/iceberg1/trilosequence.zip
OOPS

jasinski

Post by jasinski » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:57 am

i am going to keep a compiled list with all the racks i can find on the first post of this thread. I plan on using it as a library resource for any one to quickly find peoples rack creations. Hope you guys get some use out of it.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:01 am

Also linked to the Tips n Tricks sticky.

Thanks for doing the work, good shit!!
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:22 am

---> Here is the Glitch Rack 3 <---

Its the 3rd generation progression of my first Glitch Rack.(already listed in the collection)

Similar in concept just much more tweak-ability! :D

This rack uses and requires supatrigga. So if you don't have it yet... grab it first otherwise this rack will be missing something special. Thanks so much to Bram@smartelectronix for that!

Other than that this rack should be using all standard plugs and presets.

Hope yal enjoy!

TWEAK THOSE MACRO KNOBS! :wink:
Last edited by 3rdordertrauma on Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Contra

Post by Contra » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:52 pm

i vote this thread be madde a Sticky!

:idea:

jr

Post by jr » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:48 pm

the link of Utility Trick.zip is dead, who can upload again, thanks.

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:08 pm

3rdordertrauma wrote:---> Here is the Glitch Rack 3 <---

Its the 3rd generation progression of my first Glitch Rack.(already listed in the collection)

This rack uses and requires supatrigga. So if you don't have it yet... grab it first otherwise this rack will be missing something special. Thanks so much to Bram@smartelectronix for that!

Hope yal enjoy!

Hey, this is great but could you zip up the drum sounds you've used?

When I replace the instances of Impulse with my own pre-configured versions it obviously resets the Macro mapping of the 'Instrument' part so they don't work. :cry:

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:06 pm

fatrabbit wrote: Hey, this is great but could you zip up the drum sounds you've used?

When I replace the instances of Impulse with my own pre-configured versions it obviously resets the Macro mapping of the 'Instrument' part so they don't work. :cry:
Try it again!

I should have everything packed up proper now.

Sorry about that... I thought those samples were part of the factory packs.

Cheers!

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:14 pm

The limiter I posted in General

http://amd.streamload.com/monosylabik/H ... imiter.zip

edit: New URL
Last edited by rbmonosylabik on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:21 am

Heres some more racks done by myself and some other great Live Users.

Racks

Enjoy!
mike

emptypond

Post by emptypond » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:48 am

3rdordertrauma wrote:---> Here is the Glitch Rack 3 <---

Hope yal enjoy!

getting this msg >>> Failed to load the Audio Unit "SupaTrigga." Audio Units are not available on your operating system.
have the supatrigga vst for windows installed,, guess this was made on a mac and since their different versions it wont work on pc?