THE Rack List. (What can you do with Racks?)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
weblee

Re: THE Rack List. (What can YOU do with Racks in Live 6?)

Post by weblee » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:58 am

Nice one brudah
jasinski wrote:Share your useful, creative, crazy, or just weird racks.
If you use 3rd party plug-in include what it is in the description.
For easy reference I will maintain a list at the top of this thread that collects all the racks that are posted.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Effect Racks
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Glitch drum effect
By Jasinski: Fancy BeatRepeat effect. Good for drum loops.

Synth-a-fy
By Jasinski: Using Resonator to "play" clips as tones.

Arp and Repeat
By Jasinski: Combo of Arpegigator and beat repeat to create interesting rhythmic effects.

Masher
By fatrabbit: 8 Beat Repeats mapped to a chain control so you can use a knob on your MIDI controller to select which one you want.

DJM-800 style filters
By cjyetman: Single-knob controlled filter

Sweepable Crossover
by ethios4: The Sweepable Crossover allows you to apply an effects chain to either side of a crossover that can be moved freely with perfect transparency.

Utility Trick(1.9MB)
by AdamJay: Demonstrates how you can use the Width knob of 1 Utility Plugin to remove any material that was not originally panned in your source material.

Glitch Rack
by 3rdordertrauma: For all the fans of glitchy random broken beat kinda sounds. And for those of us who don't have the "Glitch" plug cause we are on mac os.

Das Mangla
by Jasinski: Good for trashing up your sounds.

Glitch Rack 3
by 3rdordertrauma:Its the 3rd generation progression of his first Glitch Rack. Similar in concept just much more tweak-ability!
This rack uses and requires supatrigga.

Glitch 3 as an audio rack
modified by fatrabbit

Glitch 3 for windows
modified by emptypond

Limiter Rack
by rbmonosylabik

HollowVerbs
by jasinski: Reverb and delays with detail.
Uses FabFilter's Volcano

Switcheroo
by jasinski: Using the AutoPan switching trick- alternate between verb and delay.

SupahGliix
by jasinski: Stack up a couple of resonators and multiple BeatRepeats.

FREQazoid
by jasinski: 4 band filters with different effects on each chain. Automate each frequency for added craziness.

LivingEchos
by jasinski: Add some swirling delays to your track.

CrocaGator
by jasinski: Adjust the gate level on chain one and 2 so that it splits the output of your audio in half- the loud stuff gets one effect, the quiet stuff gets another. Interesting results.

KitchenSink
by jasinski: A massive rack with all sorts of goodies- dramatically changes your source audio.

Dirty Sub Bass
by sebovzeoueb:Good for getting a gritty sub heavy tone from an electric bass. It also has a filter sweep assigned to a macro which can be used as a low end Wah type effect.

Live Auto-sampler 1/3/07
by 3rdordertrauma: Not quite a rack per se, but very useful if you are sampling hardware. This will do it nearly automatically. Includes a tutorial.

Beat Divider One 1/8/07
Beat Divider Two
by ethios4: With these racks, each beat has its own chain. Therefore you can apply different effects to each beat, over 1 or 2 measures depending on the rack. This is accomplished by a series of autopans - you can adjust each beat so that it only plays the first 16th note, 8th note, or entire beat by turning on/off the leftmost autopan, or even adding additional autopans on the left end of the chain, according to the pattern already set.

ReBeat 1/28/07
by jasinski: Throw this on your drums and tweak away- An easy way of mangling your beats.

Distortion Canyon 1/28/07
by jasinski: Pretty much how it sounds- good for pads, guitar, or maybe voice.

Impulse Slots Mute 2/01/07
by klinikal: Here is simple MIDI effect rack for those who need groovebox like muting of impulse slots.

DJ-EQ 2/11/07
by hoffman2k: "Some people don't seem to be happy with EQ3 for Dj'ing and find EQ4/8 too complex to set up. So here's my attempt at a DJ EQ.
The requests were only as specific as: "It should not color the sound" and "0dB should be in the middle".

With those 2 features in mind, I built the rack."

DigiDirtDrums 2/14/07
by willum: "Macros control the transposition and duration for each hit, and other parameters like distortion. It's pretty simple, but you can get lots of nice timbres from one kit. I do all my drums like this now."

Stutter's One Knob Filter 2/16/07
by Stutter:here we go then, a one knob filter. Didn't work the way I was thinking to start with, so I had to come up with another one. It needs tweaking still to taste, but the method works, so it's just sorting out a few things to make it work how you want that needs sorting now, which I think everyone can do to their own particular standard.

ALD JM8000 2/17/07
by womoma: Another one knob filter

Master Chain 2/25/07
by shoma: Good mastering chain for your mix.
Requires SimpleSqueeze

Almost Clickless Dual Comp 2/25/07
by rbmonosylabik
Requires Dual Comp AU

16 step Sequencer 3/4/07
by rbmonosylabik: you just mute steps with the chain mute buttons in "Steps" and select pitch, velocity and length in the plugs in each chain. The Scale plug at the end of each chain is for easy pattern transposing. This new one also comes set up to store 8 patterns in a Rack. Use the chain selector in the outer rack to select pattern.

DJ Effects
by Tarekith: A bunch of effects designed with the DJ in mind.

Magic Sendsp 3/22/07
by nolus and updated by Clearscreen

Blitchmyglitch & Scratcher 4/6/07
by Airwave:
Blitchmyglitch is a realtime glitcher that moves all the time. It uses a lot of different fx, redux, beatrepeat, grain delay... quite enjoyable if you like supercollider and livecut stuff.

Scratcher is a tool that lets you program scratches, turntable stop fx, reverses based on any loop that you will load in it. It's extremely addictive and funny.

InstantChip 4/19/07
by Idonotlikebroccoli: Here's a quick and fun one if you wanna make that chip-tune whatever kind of thing. It's a MIDI effect rack which consists of an arpeggiator and two pitch plugins.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Instrument Racks
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Automat Drum Kit
By Jasinski: Drum kit build with many instances of Alphakanal's Automat 0.4.2
(Mac only) This rack uses and requires Automat 0.4.2.

Operator Drum Synth
By Forge: Inspired in another thread by mathematik, here's a drum synth using operators.
Requires Ableton's Operator

Trilosequence
by Airwave: Reaktor style sequence, quite cool

Oper808
by mdk: its an early version of his 808 emulator built using just Operator and Live's built in fx.

The MPC Killer
by 3rdordertrauma: Using 16 instances of Impulse to map 127 chromatic drum hits across the keyboard- Nice!

Arp Kit
by Jasinski: A drum kit using 8 Simplers. Macros hooked up to "sample start" and "loop length" can produce some glitchy style beats using automation. Samples I made using a friends Arp Odessey.

Funk Rock Guitar
by sebovzeoueb: This is a sampler patch which is in fact a "multisampled" elastic band stretched over a ruler, he calls "funky rock guitar".
Requires Ableton's Sampler

Rubber Band- Simpler patches
by jasinski: Using sebovzeoueb's rubber band samples listed above. Using Simpler rather than Sampler, so anyone with Live should be able to load them. There are 2 patches..

Casio VZ-10m "FX instruments" 1/14/07
by jasinski: Using samples from my Casio VZ-10m, here are a bunch of Simpler instruments- "multisampled' by layering Simpler instances into Rack chains- and using the macros to control the loop length and other aspects of the sound. More to come from the VZ-10m. One of my favorite synths for really bizzare sounds.

Kid Beat Box and Pads 1/14/07
by jasinski: A collection of Simpler multi-sampled instrument racks. I recorded my 8 year old making all kinds of sound effects- Kind of fun.

AM drum kit 1/4/07
by AM: It's an acoustic drum kit... with tweakable mic positions... sounds strange i know, but you get the idea once you see it in action. It's a large download, and it's processor intensive.... but it's pretty good for getting a range of Acoustic drum sounds.... and also for messing with until you get really odd sounds.

Angstrum Drum Player 2/5/07
by angstrum: Really cool drum kit using the included waveforms in Lives sample library. Set up well for electronic music- lots of presence.

Waveform Kits 2/11/07
By jasinski: Inspired by Angstrum's drum set up, here are a few of my own.
Includes 2 kits, plus a folder containing 16 drum 'hits' as well as a folder of Simpler 'elements' that you can use as a starting point to build other percussive sounds. All using the built in wave forms that come with Live 6.

Drum Selektor 2/14/07
by wollej: Another small drum rack for selecting different kicks, snares, toms via macro controls. Built with 8 instances of Impulse and pitch/scale plugins for selecting the samples in the Impulse players.

Analog Bass 2/24/07
by andropenis:Heres an analogue bassy sound with Sampler.Try sequencing it and switching on/off the lfos

Links:

The Covert Operators.
Good collections of free and commercial Live racks and other stuff.

TeamTrackAudio.com
A bunch of racks and other goodies to download.

Ableton Live Fans
A list of racks and other Live stuff. Many of these look to require Sampler or Operator. Check em out.

Ableton Live DJ forum
Has a few racks for the taking

Heiko

Post by Heiko » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:29 pm

Hi All,

Anybody remembers where to find this nice glitch rack someone posted about 1.5 year ago? it was like 8 fx in a rack, then control them with envelope to get nice fx over your synth........easy to make, but somehow the fx that were in there were great!
Thanx,

Heiko
http://www.heikodijker.com
http://www.indianmusiccircle.com
Instead of thinking of Things you have to Think of Possibilities

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:07 pm

one for the padkontrol users...

just made an instrument rack that makes the padkontrol give proper light toggling feedback to show which sample/loop is playing. no need for farmpad or other 3rd party apps. works with Live 7 onwards.

check it out:
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=136888

leoelzein

Post by leoelzein » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:31 pm

Some formant fun for all who like me are waiting for a real formant filter!
check the 11th post on page 1

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=77957

oberflaechlich

Post by oberflaechlich » Sat May 01, 2010 5:32 pm

The rack I made allows Liveslice (demo too) to sample and resequence live audio on the launchpad step sequencer style. Then it can be played back via clips or tracker style. Watch the vids and download the demo and adg from http://mattnasty.comOut of context and solo, the rack is pretty useless.

Apoplexia Music

Post by Apoplexia Music » Sat May 22, 2010 5:47 am

Here is a Drum Machine i made with Live Suite 8

I call it the D-Lektro

it's a GM compatible Drum Rack with all the sounds generated entirely with Operator and Live Effects.

it has a boomy kick and a thumping kick

a rim, an 808/909 hybrid snare, a clanky clap, and a resonating snare

6 toms

a hihat and a crash.

in the return chains you will find a nice Room Reverb, a Parallel compressor and a filtered beat repeat.

Warning!! it is quite resource-intensive!!! so you will probably need to freeze your loops before applying a lot of effects.

Also, you need Ableton Suite 8 to use it.

I will get around to making a Drum Rack with simplers of all the sounds as soon as i have enough time :)

you can download it at the following adress : http://apoplexia.ca/D-Lektro%20Drum%20Machine.alp

Feedback would be greatly appreciated, as this is my first complex Live Device Rack

cjyetman

Post by cjyetman » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:42 am

new link for:
DJM-800 style filters
By cjyetman: Single-knob controlled filter

http://files.me.com/cjyetman/m1aka4

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:15 pm

Apoplexia Music wrote:Here is a Drum Machine i made with Live Suite 8

I call it the D-Lektro

it's a GM compatible Drum Rack with all the sounds generated entirely with Operator and Live Effects.

6 toms

a hihat and a crash.

in the return chains you will find a nice Room Reverb, a Parallel compressor and a filtered beat repeat.

Warning!! it is quite resource-intensive!!! so you will probably need to freeze your loops before applying a lot of effects.

I will get around to making a Drum Rack with simplers of all the sounds as soon as i have enough time :)

you can download it at the following adress : http://apoplexia.ca/D-Lektro%20Drum%20Machine.alp

Feedback would be greatly appreciated, as this is my first complex Live Device Rack
heres some feedback for you:
Safari can’t find the server.
Safari can’t open the page “http://apoplexia.ca/D-Lektro%20Drum%20Machine.alp” because Safari can’t find the server “apoplexia.ca”.
:p

Dr. Fluffenstein

Post by Dr. Fluffenstein » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:54 pm

I put together a drum rack emulation of the Elektron Machinedrum which I thought I'd share, it was made by meticulously copying almost every function mentioned in the manual.

You can also use it for layering samples.

EDIT. Mini Update:
http://hotfile.com/dl/55928815/9be4285/ ... k.rar.html
(Fixed a little send mistake and made an improved more CPU friendly ROM machine, now you can do infinite retrigs :D, or at least as many as note length allows)

The routing is 90% identical to the real thing, the other 10% is the lack of LFO control which wasn't possible to do properly.

It contains 16 pads/chains corresponding to what's found on the MD

All the macros are identical to the MD, plus I've added a few of my own. I color coded them so you can tell the difference between the MD's macros (white) and the ones I put in (green).

Each chain or "track" has a Track FX section, and a piece of the routing page to control Distortion, volume and pan.
- There is a three knob filter identical to the MD (24dB slope, serves as a higpass, bandpass, and lowpass at the same time)
- One band EQ
- Sample rate reduction
- And a Tremolo

There are LFO based effects on the end of each chain, off by default to save CPU

Most of the routing page was replaced with send and return chains within the rack.
- There is a tap delay which can be switched from mono, to stereo (ping pong). This delay can be sent to the reverb. (with sidechaining)
- A gated reverb. (with sidechaining)
- Distortion
- And LFO FX

This is an early version, so the effects need some tweaking to sound better. Just load a preset you like or something.

There is a Master FX section with a sidechainable comp and a master EQ. To sidechain you will have to mute the kick and use an input from another track.

In terms of the sound source, each chain has an empty simpler rack reminiscent of the ROM machine. There are no samples so load in your own or use an operator. I've also included one ROM machine with all 8 functions but it's CPU heavy. Just copy and paste it over the simplers if you want.

Preset patterns + 'machines' with samples are coming soon :wink:

Looking forward to see what kits and machines you can come up with, I'd appreciate some feedback and improvement suggestions :)
Last edited by Dr. Fluffenstein on Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:00 pm

YOU, just gave me an idea. Drum Rack as 16 step sequencer?? As long as an arp is pushing the notes across.. all you'd have to do is select which layer of each drumpad you'd want on for any given 'sample'. Hmmmmmmmmm

(the idea came about imagining that the most attractive prospect of something like the Electribe for me is the step seq. Does the Machinedrum have a step sequencer? I reeeally have been loving using the one off my Maschine lately :D)

Edit: ehhh, i forgot about feedback for each individual note

Dr. Fluffenstein

Post by Dr. Fluffenstein » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:14 pm

yur2die4 wrote:YOU, just gave me an idea. Drum Rack as 16 step sequencer?? As long as an arp is pushing the notes across.. all you'd have to do is select which layer of each drumpad you'd want on for any given 'sample'. Hmmmmmmmmm

(the idea came about imagining that the most attractive prospect of something like the Electribe for me is the step seq. Does the Machinedrum have a step sequencer? I reeeally have been loving using the one off my Maschine lately :D)
That sounds like a pretty neat idea. The MD has a pattern sequencer, I'll try to find a way to incorporate one. Right now I just use the piano roll or record live playing. So you could pretend that the piano roll is a step sequencer for now :D .

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:26 pm

you could, for good measure, make 16 midi clips with one note each and send them to the device :roll:

or.. not.
gonna give this a try, did one of those myself but i got carried away and made something completely different instead O.o

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:15 am

yur2die4 wrote:YOU, just gave me an idea. Drum Rack as 16 step sequencer?? As long as an arp is pushing the notes across.. all you'd have to do is select which layer of each drumpad you'd want on for any given 'sample'. Hmmmmmmmmm

Edit: ehhh, i forgot about feedback for each individual note

Arp-driven sequencer rack, you say?
Here are mine...
forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=143308

Dr. Fluffenstein

Post by Dr. Fluffenstein » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:55 pm

Here's a mini update: http://hotfile.com/dl/55928815/9be4285/ ... k.rar.html

You guys gave me the idea of using the arp as a re-trigger effect, so the ROM rack works like it should now :)

Apoplexia Music

Post by Apoplexia Music » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:40 am

friend_kami wrote:
Apoplexia Music wrote:Here is a Drum Machine i made with Live Suite 8

I call it the D-Lektro

6 toms

a hihat and a crash.

heres some feedback for you:
Safari can’t find the server.
Safari can’t open the page “http://apoplexia.ca/D-Lektro%20Drum%20Machine.alp” because Safari can’t find the server “apoplexia.ca”.
:p
yes...that site isn't in service anymore, since i didn't use it enough to justify renewing it.

i have since re-tooled my drum machine...it is now much less CPU-draining, but is completely Operator-based.

if you are interested in checking it out you can contact me by email at apoplexia.music@gmail.com