THE Rack List. (What can you do with Racks?)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
regretfullySaid

Re: THE Rack List. (What can you do with Racks?)

Post by regretfullySaid » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:37 am

Hey I didn't notice that :oops:

I just started a tumblr page, too. I zipped up some of my favorite custom racks and you can see some in action here.

There's one rack that conatins over 250 chords and is organized pretty well imo....
a rack with 50 scales...
a nicely tuned double arpeggiator...
a differently tuned double arpeggiator for drum hits....
a strum emulator....
an advanced 'plucker"....
and more....

http://www.shad4live.tumblr.com
ImageImage

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sun May 25, 2014 3:00 pm

Cleaning villas and hotel rooms in Riyadh. That is a fairly unusual application of Live racks.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Sun May 25, 2014 9:53 pm

shadx312 wrote:Hey I didn't notice that :oops:

I just started a tumblr page, too. I zipped up some of my favorite custom racks and you can see some in action here.

There's one rack that conatins over 250 chords and is organized pretty well imo....
a rack with 50 scales...
a nicely tuned double arpeggiator...
a differently tuned double arpeggiator for drum hits....
a strum emulator....
an advanced 'plucker"....
and more....

http://www.shad4live.tumblr.com
you are a clever crazy person. very nice.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Sun May 25, 2014 10:07 pm

ImageImage

csciurba

Post by csciurba » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:51 pm

After a not particularly fruitful search for a highly liquidy, clear, and vowel-like software envelope filter that would work especially well with bass while not being overly thick sounding (desirable for many, but not the right sound for my mixes) , I decided to see what I could make using only Live 9. The envelope in the auto filter functions really well, but the filter itself was too tame on its own for my purposes. However, after chaining a bunch of them together I came up with a rather squishy envelope filter - which I have named Pudding.

Download Pudding
[Edit: Link fixed.]

Pudding was built with bass in mind, but it works great on any dynamic audio source.

Features:
  • • Independent cutoff knobs for low, mid, and high
    • Resonance
    • Distortion
    • Envelope modulation amount
    • Attack + Release time combo knob
    • LFO modulation (knob adjusts speed as well as depth)
Audio example: https://soundcloud.com/ugo-audio/envelo ... r-for-live
Last edited by csciurba on Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

tophy42

Post by tophy42 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:26 pm

Post by re:dream » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:14 am

:P

Post by re:dream » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:20 am

csciurba wrote:Image
Dissatisfied with the software envelope filters I had tried, I decided to see what I could make using only Live 9. The envelope in the auto filter functions really well, but the filter itself was too tame on its own for my purposes. However, after chaining a bunch of them together I came up with a rather squishy envelope filter - which I have named Pudding.

Download Pudding

Pudding was built with bass in mind, but it works great on any dynamic audio source.

Features:
  • • Independent cutoff knobs for low, mid, and high
    • Resonance
    • Distortion
    • Envelope modulation amount
    • Attack + Release time combo knob
    • LFO modulation (knob adjusts speed as well as depth)
Audio example: https://soundcloud.com/ugo-audio/envelo ... r-for-live

Sounds nice, but what is in the zip file? It does not download as a live rack.

csciurba

Post by csciurba » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:48 pm

re:dream wrote:Sounds nice, but what is in the zip file? It does not download as a live rack.
Thanks for letting me know! I'm not sure what was happening there, but the file was losing its extension when unzipped. Even when I created a new zip, archiving/unarchiving it using the built-in Mac utility resulted in the same problem. I've used an RAR utility instead now, and this one appears to be extracting properly. I've fixed the link above, but I'll add it here too.

Download Pudding.rar

mpcstar

Post by mpcstar » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:19 am

jasinski wrote:Share your useful, creative, crazy, or just weird racks.
If you use 3rd party plug-in include what it is in the description.
For easy reference I will maintain a list at the top of this thread that collects all the racks that are posted.

_______________I would definitely include The SoundRx Musical Medication Kit VOl. 1
CHeck it out here http://www.thesoundrx.com/products/musi ... =875383655

Effect Racks
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Glitch drum effect
By Jasinski: Fancy BeatRepeat effect. Good for drum loops.

Synth-a-fy
By Jasinski: Using Resonator to "play" clips as tones.

Arp and Repeat
By Jasinski: Combo of Arpegigator and beat repeat to create interesting rhythmic effects.

Masher
By fatrabbit: 8 Beat Repeats mapped to a chain control so you can use a knob on your MIDI controller to select which one you want.

DJM-800 style filters
By cjyetman: Single-knob controlled filter

Sweepable Crossover
by ethios4: The Sweepable Crossover allows you to apply an effects chain to either side of a crossover that can be moved freely with perfect transparency.

Utility Trick(1.9MB)
by AdamJay: Demonstrates how you can use the Width knob of 1 Utility Plugin to remove any material that was not originally panned in your source material.

Glitch Rack
by 3rdordertrauma: For all the fans of glitchy random broken beat kinda sounds. And for those of us who don't have the "Glitch" plug cause we are on mac os.

Das Mangla
by Jasinski: Good for trashing up your sounds.

Glitch Rack 3
by 3rdordertrauma:Its the 3rd generation progression of his first Glitch Rack. Similar in concept just much more tweak-ability!
This rack uses and requires supatrigga.

Glitch 3 as an audio rack
modified by fatrabbit

Glitch 3 for windows
modified by emptypond

Limiter Rack
by rbmonosylabik

HollowVerbs
by jasinski: Reverb and delays with detail.
Uses FabFilter's Volcano

Switcheroo
by jasinski: Using the AutoPan switching trick- alternate between verb and delay.

SupahGliix
by jasinski: Stack up a couple of resonators and multiple BeatRepeats.

FREQazoid
by jasinski: 4 band filters with different effects on each chain. Automate each frequency for added craziness.

LivingEchos
by jasinski: Add some swirling delays to your track.

CrocaGator
by jasinski: Adjust the gate level on chain one and 2 so that it splits the output of your audio in half- the loud stuff gets one effect, the quiet stuff gets another. Interesting results.

KitchenSink
by jasinski: A massive rack with all sorts of goodies- dramatically changes your source audio.

Dirty Sub Bass
by sebovzeoueb:Good for getting a gritty sub heavy tone from an electric bass. It also has a filter sweep assigned to a macro which can be used as a low end Wah type effect.

Live Auto-sampler 1/3/07
by 3rdordertrauma: Not quite a rack per se, but very useful if you are sampling hardware. This will do it nearly automatically. Includes a tutorial.

Beat Divider One 1/8/07
Beat Divider Two
by ethios4: With these racks, each beat has its own chain. Therefore you can apply different effects to each beat, over 1 or 2 measures depending on the rack. This is accomplished by a series of autopans - you can adjust each beat so that it only plays the first 16th note, 8th note, or entire beat by turning on/off the leftmost autopan, or even adding additional autopans on the left end of the chain, according to the pattern already set.

ReBeat 1/28/07
by jasinski: Throw this on your drums and tweak away- An easy way of mangling your beats.

Distortion Canyon 1/28/07
by jasinski: Pretty much how it sounds- good for pads, guitar, or maybe voice.

Impulse Slots Mute 2/01/07
by klinikal: Here is simple MIDI effect rack for those who need groovebox like muting of impulse slots.

DJ-EQ 2/11/07
by hoffman2k: "Some people don't seem to be happy with EQ3 for Dj'ing and find EQ4/8 too complex to set up. So here's my attempt at a DJ EQ.
The requests were only as specific as: "It should not color the sound" and "0dB should be in the middle".

With those 2 features in mind, I built the rack."

DigiDirtDrums 2/14/07
by willum: "Macros control the transposition and duration for each hit, and other parameters like distortion. It's pretty simple, but you can get lots of nice timbres from one kit. I do all my drums like this now."

Stutter's One Knob Filter 2/16/07
by Stutter:here we go then, a one knob filter. Didn't work the way I was thinking to start with, so I had to come up with another one. It needs tweaking still to taste, but the method works, so it's just sorting out a few things to make it work how you want that needs sorting now, which I think everyone can do to their own particular standard.

ALD JM8000 2/17/07
by womoma: Another one knob filter

Master Chain 2/25/07
by shoma: Good mastering chain for your mix.
Requires SimpleSqueeze

Almost Clickless Dual Comp 2/25/07
by rbmonosylabik
Requires Dual Comp AU

16 step Sequencer 3/4/07
by rbmonosylabik: you just mute steps with the chain mute buttons in "Steps" and select pitch, velocity and length in the plugs in each chain. The Scale plug at the end of each chain is for easy pattern transposing. This new one also comes set up to store 8 patterns in a Rack. Use the chain selector in the outer rack to select pattern.

DJ Effects
by Tarekith: A bunch of effects designed with the DJ in mind.

Magic Sendsp 3/22/07
by nolus and updated by Clearscreen

Blitchmyglitch & Scratcher 4/6/07
by Airwave:
Blitchmyglitch is a realtime glitcher that moves all the time. It uses a lot of different fx, redux, beatrepeat, grain delay... quite enjoyable if you like supercollider and livecut stuff.

Scratcher is a tool that lets you program scratches, turntable stop fx, reverses based on any loop that you will load in it. It's extremely addictive and funny.

InstantChip 4/19/07
by Idonotlikebroccoli: Here's a quick and fun one if you wanna make that chip-tune whatever kind of thing. It's a MIDI effect rack which consists of an arpeggiator and two pitch plugins.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Instrument Racks
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Automat Drum Kit
By Jasinski: Drum kit build with many instances of Alphakanal's Automat 0.4.2
(Mac only) This rack uses and requires Automat 0.4.2.

Operator Drum Synth
By Forge: Inspired in another thread by mathematik, here's a drum synth using operators.
Requires Ableton's Operator

Trilosequence
by Airwave: Reaktor style sequence, quite cool

Oper808
by mdk: its an early version of his 808 emulator built using just Operator and Live's built in fx.

The MPC Killer
by 3rdordertrauma: Using 16 instances of Impulse to map 127 chromatic drum hits across the keyboard- Nice!

Arp Kit
by Jasinski: A drum kit using 8 Simplers. Macros hooked up to "sample start" and "loop length" can produce some glitchy style beats using automation. Samples I made using a friends Arp Odessey.

Funk Rock Guitar
by sebovzeoueb: This is a sampler patch which is in fact a "multisampled" elastic band stretched over a ruler, he calls "funky rock guitar".
Requires Ableton's Sampler

Rubber Band- Simpler patches
by jasinski: Using sebovzeoueb's rubber band samples listed above. Using Simpler rather than Sampler, so anyone with Live should be able to load them. There are 2 patches..

Casio VZ-10m "FX instruments" 1/14/07
by jasinski: Using samples from my Casio VZ-10m, here are a bunch of Simpler instruments- "multisampled' by layering Simpler instances into Rack chains- and using the macros to control the loop length and other aspects of the sound. More to come from the VZ-10m. One of my favorite synths for really bizzare sounds.

Kid Beat Box and Pads 1/14/07
by jasinski: A collection of Simpler multi-sampled instrument racks. I recorded my 8 year old making all kinds of sound effects- Kind of fun.

AM drum kit 1/4/07
by AM: It's an acoustic drum kit... with tweakable mic positions... sounds strange i know, but you get the idea once you see it in action. It's a large download, and it's processor intensive.... but it's pretty good for getting a range of Acoustic drum sounds.... and also for messing with until you get really odd sounds.

Angstrum Drum Player 2/5/07
by angstrum: Really cool drum kit using the included waveforms in Lives sample library. Set up well for electronic music- lots of presence.

Waveform Kits 2/11/07
By jasinski: Inspired by Angstrum's drum set up, here are a few of my own.
Includes 2 kits, plus a folder containing 16 drum 'hits' as well as a folder of Simpler 'elements' that you can use as a starting point to build other percussive sounds. All using the built in wave forms that come with Live 6.

Drum Selektor 2/14/07
by wollej: Another small drum rack for selecting different kicks, snares, toms via macro controls. Built with 8 instances of Impulse and pitch/scale plugins for selecting the samples in the Impulse players.

Analog Bass 2/24/07
by andropenis:Heres an analogue bassy sound with Sampler.Try sequencing it and switching on/off the lfos

Links:

The Covert Operators.
Good collections of free and commercial Live racks and other stuff.

TeamTrackAudio.com
A bunch of racks and other goodies to download.

Ableton Live Fans
A list of racks and other Live stuff. Many of these look to require Sampler or Operator. Check em out.

Ableton Live DJ forum
Has a few racks for the taking

tech44

Post by tech44 » Fri May 15, 2015 10:29 pm

Poly-Neptune Volume 2 Free rack instrument. Also tons of other free racks on Audiobombs.
-----
Audiobombs.com: Free ableton racks, soundsets, touchosc templates and more.

kurouna

Post by kurouna » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:31 pm

Thank you for posting this. I cant wait to try some of these.

edit: jk most of the ones i wanted to try were broke. lol didnt realize this was from almost 10 years ago.

refraktal

Post by refraktal » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:14 am

One of my favorite tricks with the instrument rack is to load a bunch of plugins and use the chain selector to switch between them. To take it even further, you can control the chain selector with a M4L LFO and get some really glitched sounds.

Check out this video for a more in depth look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncnej51io3U

shuutobi

Post by shuutobi » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:39 am

I created a harmonic tremolo rack. (9.2+)
If you're not sure what that is, think a "kinda" univibe-ish tremolo.
Inspired by the rare harmonic tremolos of yesteryear and designed to sound good no matter how you adjust it. (Hopefully!)
For basic, "normal" harmonic tremolo use, just adjust the depth and speed controls.
  • Analog input allows for 6dB of analog clipping if needed.
  • Tone rolls off the high end from 1-22kHz if needed. If it's all the way up, the LPF turns off.
  • Output allows for +/- 6dB of level correction.
  • Depth adjusts the depth of the effect and it also attempts to auto gain correct for the signal loss.
  • Speed adjusts the speed of the effect.
  • Balance adjusts the blend of the low and high frequency bands.
  • Crossover Frequency adjusts the crossover frequency.
  • Crossover Q adds or removes frequencies around the cross over point and it also attempts to automatically gain correct for the signal loss or gain.
//-----

I also made the sub-kick effect rack (9.2+) that I posted instructions to make many moons ago.

I went a little deeper with it to allow for easy frequency selection. I would have taken it a step further and added a texture control with the cabinet effect, but that's not a standard device and I didn't want to limit it to owners of the device.
Need a lil' extra somethin' somethin' for your kick drum? Give this a try, but I do suggest just using EQ first.
  • 50Hz - 60Hz selects the frequency of the sub kick emulation and delays the specific frequency in milliseconds.
  • MAOR! Up to +6dB of "sub kick" gain.

If you think they could be improved upon, let me know!

Get them free here: http://rvjaeger.com/downloads/