The Definitive Guide to Programming the FCB1010 for Live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
wendyphua

Re: Ableton Live/FCB1010 Midi Mapping Problem

Post by wendyphua » Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:54 am

chris vine wrote:
wendyphua wrote: Live sends me a prompt that reads "The selected controller conflicts with the previous mapping to '2'|track Launch. Do you want to replace the previous mapping?". If I click yes, pedal 1 is set to launch playback of the clip I just recorded instead of remaining as the trigger for "Track Launch".
Hi,
This indicates that you still have the midi mapping switch in Live switched on.
Is that so? If so, make sure sure you come out of midi mapping mode once you've programmed yr stuff.

-- I've already left the midi mapping mode.
wendyphua wrote: So i begin recording my 1st loop into track '2' by stepping on pedal 1. After recording one bar, i stepped on pedal 1 again to trigger the freshly recorded loop to begin playback. However that's when the problem begins as my FCB starts sending a message to Live to set pedal 1 to launch playback of the clip I just recorded.
You can change this on the Live preferences page under Clip Launch Behavior. Should be in the manual.

-- I've switched thro trigger, gate, toggle, repeat setting in preferences for Clip Launch Behaviour but it still does not work properly. Just gives me various approaches of NOT working properly...sigh

Somehow I feel that it's my FCB1010 that is not set accordingly as my GT6B works fine in launching the clip to record and play back wen I step on the midi pedal again. Only problem is the Gt6B is limited to only 2 midi tracks assignments.

Is there a way for properly check if my midi mapping between FCB1010 and Live is correct? I've downloaded the iFCB but am not too sure how to use it to check my midi settings. help.......

Best wishes,
Chris

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:10 pm

Sorry, I only know the PC program (free BTW) which shows everything very clearly on the FCB. The FCB is a total pain (IMHO) to program without it.
It sounds like your FCB isn't programmed correctly, unfortunately.

Search this forum with FCB1010 and live and Looping, as there are lots of posts about it. Be patient because the solution'll appear.

Good luck, sorry I didn't have a solution.

Best,
Chris

wendyphua

Post by wendyphua » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:56 am

chris vine wrote:Sorry, I only know the PC program (free BTW) which shows everything very clearly on the FCB. The FCB is a total pain (IMHO) to program without it.
It sounds like your FCB isn't programmed correctly, unfortunately.

Search this forum with FCB1010 and live and Looping, as there are lots of posts about it. Be patient because the solution'll appear.

Good luck, sorry I didn't have a solution.

Best,
Chris
ok, thanks for trying to help anyway. I'll trudge onward in my painful midi quest....

cheers

Wendy

wendyphua

Problem Syncing Recorded Audio tracks on Live

Post by wendyphua » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:36 pm

Ok I've fixed my previous problem by removing a midi cable going out from my PC into the FCB but now I have another problem (it never ends) where my various audio recordings on Live session clips do not sync up. However when I play back different audio clips stored on my PC, they all sync up when played back in loop mode. Anyone have any idea why this is so? I've been searching everywhere on the net but found no answer and the manual doesn't talk abt my problem

tellef

wrong mapping?

Post by tellef » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:51 pm

i tried to follow your guide to detai, an managed to start prosesses in Live with the fcb1010 (i.e. trigging scenes). however when I turn on midi map mode it says that scene one is triggered by 1/23 and the next is triggered by 1/22 in stead of 1 and two for the pedals. Seemes that I have programmed the pedal board incorrectly?
best
tellef
oslo

Seyser Koze

Post by Seyser Koze » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:58 pm

the 1 is for midi channel 1...22 and 23 stand for the CCs.

It doesn't look to me as if you've programmed your FCB at all...these are default settings.

Check my video below in this forum. :D

agaskins

Looped Recording in Session view Recording in Arrangement

Post by agaskins » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:06 pm

Hi All,

I have been searching for a post on this to no avail. I have my looping setup working with my FCB and it is great thanks to so many great posts in this thread. However I have noticed since I moved to L7 that I have a problem. When I am trying to record what I am doing with the master record my clips don't automatically play back if the arm button is engaged in the session view after recording and looping a new clip. I used this before to record my whole set and it worked flawlessly. Has anyone had problems with this?

Thanks!
AG

Seyser Koze

Post by Seyser Koze » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:19 am

Check your overdub button is off. "OVR" yellow at the top.

agaskins

Post by agaskins » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:08 pm

Hey Seyser thanks!

I did make sure that it was disabled as well. I used to be able to record my live set as I was recording clips and triggering etc... Unfortunately I cannot do this anylonger :-|

Thanks!
AG

Seyser Koze

Post by Seyser Koze » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:00 am

I don't see why you can't still do that...

What about the launch mode for your clips? Trigger?

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:04 am

Many, many, many thanks to clarity for starting this thread and posting the great step-by-step guide. I was pulling my hair out trying to program the FCB1010. Of course, it didn't help that I'm newer than a newbie when it comes to creating any music via a laptop and software. First went to the excellent Tweakheadz Lab site and took a crash course in all things midi/digital music creation.

I've now got the unit working perfectly, and even managed to program the expression pedals via CCs as well to control volume and such.

Thanks again, man.

discomb

select next scene on launch with FCB 1010 in v7.0.12

Post by discomb » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:56 pm

Hello all, I hope you can help. Since updating live I have a problem with 'select next scene on launch', I found a post explaining why, I can't work out how to reference it but i searched for all terms of "select next scene on launch" in the forum and it came third:

"Hi Raphta,

I did some research, the behavior has indeed changed a bit (in order to fix another inconsistency with scene launch):
- now, a mapped note-on message or a cc of 64 or higher will trigger the scene
- a note off message (releasing the note) or a cc of 63 or lower will select the next scene

Since many buttons set to cc send out 127 when pressed and 0 when released, you would not even notice this change (that´s why could not reproduce the problem first).

Solution: please reconfigure the button on your controller you want to use for mapping the scene-launch, so it sends out eg. 127/0 or note-on/note-off.

According to the Bitstream´s manual, this is achieved by setting a button to "Push" mode in the "Assign Menu", this should also be possible in standard mode. Normally, this should be the standard setting. I am trying to get a hold of a Bitstream controller asap, maybe you can check what the button you want to map is sending out by using Midi Monitor (http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/) and try to use the Assign function to configure the buttons as described above.

Best,
Jörg"

can anyone familiar with the FCB's workings give me instructions on how to get this working? I currently have it so i press button 1 to launch the scene, but now it doesn't movce to the next scene. I can't work out how to assign a second cc value of less than 64 so that the button works!!! please help it you can.

discomb

Post by discomb » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:44 am

hey again!

Reviewing this post I hope I've hit upon the solution (I haven't tested it yet).

When configuring say, button 1, button 6 is the 'on' CC#, and button 7 is the 'off' CC#. If this is right, all should be good!

If this is the case, setting the velocity of 6 to 127, and the velocity of 7 to 0, should mean that pressing button 1 sends a high velocity signal followed immediately by a 0 velocity signal.

If this don't work, I have no idea how to sort the problem, short of setting up button 2 to be pressed at the same time as button 1, something I wouldn't want to have to do in a live situation...

Will let you know if this works...

discomb

Post by discomb » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:52 pm

In short, it doesn't work.

I have button 1 setup with CNT 1 and CNT 2 active, CNT sends a CC of 127, and CNT 2 sends a CC of 0.

Now when i press button 1, a scene launches. I press button one again, and live moves to the next scene. i press again, scene 2 launches. so close, but yet so far.

anyone have an idea how to only require 1 press to move one scene forward and launch that next scene?

I do have 'select next scene on launch' active btw. :)

Warminstrel

Re: The Definitive Guide to Programming the FCB1010 for Live

Post by Warminstrel » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:18 am

Just taken deilvery of new fcb 1010 and have, using the guide on here, managed to get it to controll live funtions with no problems.

I have also tried to get it to controll the on/off button of my amplitube jimi hendrix's stomp boxes ( the button is listed as 'bypass ' on the live vst midi assignable permameters)

I seem to only be able to controll the button once; either switching 'on' or 'off'.

My question is:

Is there a midi function simmilar to 'toggle' (as per my BCR2K) i need to look for when programming the fcb 1010 for this purpose?