The Definitive Guide to Programming the FCB1010 for Live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
5meohd

Re: The Definitive Guide to Programming the FCB1010 for Live

Post by 5meohd » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:10 am

while I agree you were being helpful.. this does not help the users question.. we simply want to be able to use a footswitch to turn fx on/off i.e. press once fx is on, press again fx is off.

I can't figure this out either, and the reason why your method will not work is that you've got it set up to turn off when another comes on. how is that even related?

omega13lives

Post by omega13lives » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:19 am

I read earlier or maybe somewhere else, that you need to upgrade either the eprom chip or firmware to get the pedals to act like stomp boxes, On/Off. Otherwise, it's just On and you have to do something like I did, program one pedal for no effects and use that to "turn off" the effects.

zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:03 am

Thanks SO much for this. I program the damn thing so infrequently that every time I procrastinate because I know the nightmare of going to the manual. You saved me big time.

k1-uk-global

Post by k1-uk-global » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:21 pm

So, having now spent forever reading through this thread, I'm not much wiser... can someone please tell me whether the FCB1010 can send cc's to ableton to toggle things on/off using just one preset? it seems no-one has a solution so far.

I'm resorting to giving each switch in every bank a unique note, and setting all notes to emerge from midi channel 3. I'm using cc's for each expression pedal - pedal A is on channel 4, pedal B is on channel 5. Each pedal has a low value of 0 and a high value of 127. Pedals A and B each have the same cc value, but since they are on different channels, (3 and 4), they don't conflict. Starting from the first preset, expression pedals A and B each have cc's starting from 1 and going up to 100.

I'd much rather use cc's so that I don't conflict with keyboard notes, so if anyone knows how to use cc's so that the same button will switch things on and off, and especially for using the looper, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
k1

MtHood

Post by MtHood » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:36 am

hey clarity...

do you think you could explain what CNT 1 actually means? I followed your steps and they worked... i can now map stomp 1 to arm a track. but I don't understand how to get the expression pedals involved in this.

I assume i will have to do this for every stomp to set the CCs? but even so all i can do is turn stuff on/off just like any other midi controller.

My intention is to have each of the 10 stomps be assigned to a 'setting' for my guitar, which i will design with live. I would like the two expression pedals to be involved, as in changing a parameter such as reverb dry/wet, or an auto filter frequency. I was under the impression that this is why most people use this pedal.

There doesn't seem to be any resources on the internet as far as explaining the basic functions of this pedal.

How did you even figure this shit out?

Please get back to me. Thanks.

MtHood

Post by MtHood » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:10 pm

nevermind I figured it out.

You should write in your step by step post what each step is actually doing.

at first it seemed to me like a completely random sequence of button presses, and i didn't know what these values i was putting in were.

but after doing it enough times i've realized that it's actually a pretty logical way to program each button.

maybe i'll write my own intro to the FCB thread

dolphinuppercut

Post by dolphinuppercut » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:00 am

So I got the same problems everyone else seems to have and then some.

1. Using Clarity's tutorial, the switches won't toggle an effect on and off, just turn on if set to 127 and off if set to 0. Should I just use notes for the switches instead of CCs?

2. The resolution on Pedal A and Pedal B are really bad. When I map them to control a wet/dry on effects or filter sweeps it makes big jumps and sounds gross. Is there a fix for this?

3. Pedal A and Pedal B don't get to the minimum 0 when I tilt them all the way off yet they go all the way to the maximum 127. What's the deal with that?

I would really love some help with my show tomorrow night and I'm sick of using my sustain pedal to control effects and the looper. My apologies if someone already answered these and I missed it.

Thanks so much!

dolphinuppercut

Post by dolphinuppercut » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:43 am

AlexPlaysKeytar wrote:1. Using Clarity's tutorial, the switches won't toggle an effect on and off, just turn on if set to 127 and off if set to 0. Should I just use notes for the switches instead of CCs?
I THINK I GOT IT. This was in the manual.

"2.5 Controller toggle function

This function allows you to configure one controller so that it alternately sends two different values, e.g. effect bypass, drive on/off, etc.

In order to enable the controller switch-over function, you need to globally select the same MIDI channel for CNT1 and CNT2 (see chapter 2.2), and enter the same controller number for CNT1 and CNT2 in the preset (NUMBER, see chapter 2.4.4).

The first time you recall the preset, it will send the controller value of CNT1 (VALUE 1), with each additional key press you can alternate between CNT2 and CNT1. Example: Select preset 1 without DRIVE function on the BEHRINGER V-AMP—each time you press the same button again, DRIVE will be switched on or off respectively: PROG CHG 1 = 1, CNT 1 NUMBER = 26, VALUE 1 = 0, CNT 2 NUMBER = 26, VALUE 1 = 127."

source: http://www.behringer.com/assets/FCB1010_P0089_M_EN.pdf

Imma try this out and see what happens

dolphinuppercut

Post by dolphinuppercut » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:46 am

AlexPlaysKeytar wrote:
AlexPlaysKeytar wrote:1. Using Clarity's tutorial, the switches won't toggle an effect on and off, just turn on if set to 127 and off if set to 0. Should I just use notes for the switches instead of CCs?
I THINK I GOT IT. This was in the manual.

"2.5 Controller toggle function

This function allows you to configure one controller so that it alternately sends two different values, e.g. effect bypass, drive on/off, etc.

In order to enable the controller switch-over function, you need to globally select the same MIDI channel for CNT1 and CNT2 (see chapter 2.2), and enter the same controller number for CNT1 and CNT2 in the preset (NUMBER, see chapter 2.4.4).

The first time you recall the preset, it will send the controller value of CNT1 (VALUE 1), with each additional key press you can alternate between CNT2 and CNT1. Example: Select preset 1 without DRIVE function on the BEHRINGER V-AMP—each time you press the same button again, DRIVE will be switched on or off respectively: PROG CHG 1 = 1, CNT 1 NUMBER = 26, VALUE 1 = 0, CNT 2 NUMBER = 26, VALUE 1 = 127."

source: http://www.behringer.com/assets/FCB1010_P0089_M_EN.pdf

Imma try this out and see what happens
GOOD NEWS:
THIS WORKS for toggling effects, tracks and instruments on and off.

Bad News:
You have to double-tap if you assigned it to arm a track. Also, this does not work for the loop button. It acts all glitchy, record button won't work all the time, only records for a few seconds before turning off.

Imma keep working on this and work on calibrating the Pedals A and B. I'm just working off the manual and experimenting.

btjarvis

Post by btjarvis » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:37 pm

I got the CC programmed into the pedal no problem. Ableton recognizes the incoming signal and assigns the button in MIDI Map Mode, but when switch back to normal mode the switch won't arm the track. The incoming MIDI indicator in Ableton shows that it is receiving a MIDI signal, but the track won't arm. What am I missing?

gif_silver

Re:

Post by gif_silver » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:36 pm

laurentius wrote:i dont know how it is with the behringer but in my case (nobles mf2) it just makes more sense to use midi notes because i have more usable buttons then. in programm change mode or cc-mode i couldn't use the up and down buttons to send data. in the midinote mode i have those two extrabuttons and this rules over any other argument i guess ;-)
lars.
I love clarity's post - gave me hope on a dark night - but that makes sense about getting 2 extra buttons. I found a great instructable on how to programme the fcb1010 for notes:
http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2010/02/22 ... -software/

in short (excuse plagiarism!)
Select the preset (1-10) you wish to edit with the UP and DOWN pedals (I use Preset 1).
Then keep DOWN pressed for a few seconds. The device will now enter PRESET programming mode. The green SWITCH1/SWITCH2 LED in the display will flash.
Press UP/ENTER. The SELECT LED in the display will light up.
Press footswitch 10, keeping it pressed for a few seconds. This will activate the NOTE function. Then, press footswitch 10 quickly once more. The footswitch LED will flash.
Confirm your selection by pressing UP/ENTER. The NUMBER LED will light up.
Press the number footswitch 1-10 (or move the expression pedal) to which you wish to assign this MIDI NOTE.
Confirm your selection by pressing UP/ENTER or cancel by pressing DOWN/ESCAPE. The SELECT LED in the display will light up.
To assign other numbered footswitches to MIDI NOTES, just follow steps 4-7 for each one.
When finished editing, exit PRESET programming mode by keeping DOWN/ESCAPE pressed for a few seconds.
You’re done! :-)

Now although that may seem complex, once you have done it a few times it will feel much more natural to you. Promise!

tarshito

Post by tarshito » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:03 am

THANX...
that has been so helpfull..
however i have a problem now that can hopefully easily be solved

I programmed the fcb1010 a while back to work with ableton...
so now comming back to it i find that in some of the banks ...
for example bank 01 patch 1 or 9 the light on exp pedal 1 is alight...
so i have programmed this for my master volume in a song i created in ableton.... and it works!
however if i go to another patch 5,6,7, or 8 the light on exp pedal 1 is not alight and therefore does not operate the master volume...
how do i get the light to turn on in these patches so that i can use exp pedal 1 to alter the master volume?

abrisita

Post by abrisita » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:59 pm

after number 12 in your instructions, when I press up and i save the value of number six, the green led changed to value 2 and asks me to set another number before allowing me to move on to 7. why does this happen?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:56 pm

In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

NateImbolg

Post by NateImbolg » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:59 pm

I am also having the same issue. I want to have my FCB trigger audio clips for different parts of a song. Clip 1 triggered by button 1, clip 2 triggered by button 2, and so on. However even though the other buttons are programmed to cc 127 it says that it conflicts with the previous mapping. how can I fix it so they all work. Also, I simply used 1 audio track broke it up into specific parts to play at different times. is that causing the issue?