How to remove patch changing command from imported midi?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Exie

How to remove patch changing command from imported midi?

Post by Exie » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:16 pm

When I imported midi files created by Guitar Pro into Live, I've got an awful problem. Tracks hold general midi patch value they had in Guitar Pro, and when imported midi clip plays from the beginning, it switches my VSTi to this patch value. Imported tracks have some MIDI Ctrl envelopes which include even patch changes, but when I clear all the envelopes from midi clip, the behaviour is the same - the patch changes to the old GM value.
I can copy all the notes from all imported clips into new ones, but it is a lame solution. Does anybody know where Live can hide this patch changing data? I'm sure there are no automation remained in clip envelopes and track envelopes.

Or maybe a simple tool to clean out all non-note data (controllers, sysex, etc.) from midi files? I need only bare tracks with notes and their velocities, nothing else :D

PS I've seen the similar issue with Guitar Pro midis in Cubase, but it was not my workstation, I haven't tried to figure this problem there.

HiEnergy

Post by HiEnergy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:50 am

Import your clips as usual, then double click one of the imported clips. You'll get a grid showing a piano roll in the bottom of the screen together with some columns of data.
Then select all clips you want the program change command removed. The piano roll will vanish, only leaving "clips" and "notes" columns.
Select each of the "bank", "sub bank", "program" drop-downs in the "notes" column and set them to "none" (the value above 1).
Now the program change commands should be gone from your midi data.

Exie

Post by Exie » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:11 pm

Yes, I see now. Thanks a lot!