Managing clips from Session to Arrange?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
salvobeta

Managing clips from Session to Arrange?

Post by salvobeta » Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:33 am

Hello all, I'm somewhat new to Live. I've been looking at it for years. Even before it was released, remeber viewing webpages describing what this thing would be years back. But I waited till it got more mature. Live 3 finally is reaching that point.

So I finally dug in and bought it, sat down with the manual, and tried to build a Set myself. I find some of the new features amazing, and ones that I missed in previous demo's facinating.

Now onto my issue (sorry for the delay)...

So I've put some clips into a Session, and I edited them, set up the beat markers to the correct location. made some cool modulations with the envelopes, and now the sound really cool! But how the hell do I get them into the arrange? I couldn't find anything about it in the manual. I tried dragging the same sample into the arrange, but that just creates a new clip, and doesn't use anoy of the cool stuff I edited in the version in the Session. the only ay I can see to do this is to record it in from the session view, but this seems like a very slow way to do things.

Is there some kind of clip manager that I can't find? somewhere there is a view of all my edited clips? Or how about a way to drag and flip from the Session view to the Arrange view?

Thanks for the tips in advance...

Sean

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:45 pm

Sean-

A bit confused here, when you say you drag clips from the session to the arrange and they are not working as you expect - what do you mean? Are you grabbing the clip [as edited, on an session view track, not from the file browser] and "carrying" it to the Arrange view symbol: (the circle on the right hand side with the horizontal lines) and then dropping it onto a track?

This has always worked as expected for me in the past... can you please explain the problems you are having? You *should* be able to drag a Session view clip (with envelope settings etc) from the Session to the Arrange by the above method.

Hope this helps
paddy
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:44 am

No I think he is dragging them from the file browser into the arrangement.

Well, in session view you can play the clips by hitting the play button on each clip (with MIDI, computer keys or mouse) - right?

know on top you have the play, stop and record button. Hit the record button before starting clips and your action will be recorded into arrangement view.
You can also somehow drag the clips from session view (not from the browser) into the arrangement view - I thing via the buttons at the outer right border that change from session to arrange view.

Good louck. Try record button (this does not start audio recording but action recording - maybe a bit confusing).

Best,
Steff

salvobeta

Got it!

Post by salvobeta » Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:21 am

sorry guys. After posting that message I went and tried it again. I finally got it figured out. Yes, I had clips in the Session colums that I wanted in the Arrange. I did know about the record method that Steff suggested, but that seemed liek a really slow way of doing things, very linear. Reminds me of editing on tape.

But I got this time. I grabbed the clip in the Session, dragged it to the little circly with the horizontal lines, and it flipped into the Arrange. There i could drag it to the track I wanted. Fast Non-linear editing, that's what it's all about. (I swear i tried this earlier and it didn't work, ohh well).

thanks for your tips...

Sean