Tips for optimizing latency?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Visti

Tips for optimizing latency?

Post by Visti » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:32 pm

Hi guys,

I'm using a horrible, horrible setup for recording my music and the only reason is that I really don't have the cash to improve it at the time, so buying new equipment is not really an option (at least of right now).

Therefore, I have to optimize what I have as much as possible until I can get a new setup. I just started at a new job, so I'm trying to get my on the money I get for the training period, which is much less that what I get when fully trained a few months from now.

Enough jabbering, though. My setup consists of Ableton Live 6 running under Windows XP, 1024 mb RAM, 1,8 Ghz. I use BFD and various softsynths to create backing tracks to record guitar, bass and vocals on top of.

I run the instruments through my USB interface, an M-Audio Fast Track.

So, obviously, there's a lot of weak points in this setup. WHat can I do to minimize the latency I get when recording, say, a bass track on top of a VST drum track - Besides having a squeaky clean system and defragging and so on. I'm thinking maybe alternative audiodrivers (what's this Asio4all, anyway?), fiddling with buffer knobs and such.

The problem is when I record the bass track, even though I monitor through the interface itself and leave the audio track completely dry and with no monitoring, the audio will be a little behind what I actually played. Of course, I can adjust this and drag markers and such to make it on time, but I feel this both breaks creative flow and makes the recording a little lifeless, mainly when I have to drag markers (I can't remember that technical name, I'm at work) to make it fit.
Also I have to mention that in other programs I don't really get these problems and I can also monitor relatively latency-free.

As you can probably see, I'm not that confident in these matters, so bear with me. I hope you can help.

Cheers,
Emil

willum

Post by willum » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:40 pm

Well, if you're looking for a great audio driver alternative, check out http://www.CEntrance.com. It's relatively inexpensive, and provides a nice boost for latency. Also check out http://www.pcpitstop.com/. This software automatically tweaks Windows for optimum performance, it seems to work pretty well. On top of taking the steps recommended in the Live manual, these are fairly helpful things.

Dr. Zoiberg

Re: Tips for optimizing latency?

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:30 pm

Visti wrote:The problem is when I record the bass track, even though I monitor through the interface itself and leave the audio track completely dry and with no monitoring, the audio will be a little behind what I actually played. Of course, I can adjust this and drag markers and such to make it on time, but I feel this both breaks creative flow and makes the recording a little lifeless, mainly when I have to drag markers (I can't remember that technical name, I'm at work) to make it fit.
You should correct for the latency reported by the audio driver.
There's a lesson about this in Live.

Visti

Post by Visti » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:07 pm

willum wrote:Well, if you're looking for a great audio driver alternative, check out http://www.CEntrance.com. It's relatively inexpensive, and provides a nice boost for latency. Also check out http://www.pcpitstop.com/. This software automatically tweaks Windows for optimum performance, it seems to work pretty well. On top of taking the steps recommended in the Live manual, these are fairly helpful things.
But those seem to be for firewire devices only? And will it really make a big difference? Keeping in mind that in other DAWs I can actually play and monitor the input with effects in real time (or at least good enough to actually play along), so I thought it might be some settings in Ableton.. At least I'm gonna try some other things before I actually shell out cash for thirdparty drivers.. What about Asio4All? Are they any good?

I'll try what Zoiberg (Futurama reference?) mentioned when I get home!

Dr. Zoiberg

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:58 pm

Oh, I love Futurama :wink:
But I mispelled the doctor's name :-D

You don't need to mess with the drivers.
Direct monitoring thru the audio interface is perfect for tracking; you only need to compensate for latency in the recording... look for "Driver error compensation"in the lessons.
Keep in mind that you may need to change the offset value if you change the buffer size.

Visti

Post by Visti » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:58 am

Yikes, I've run into another problem adjusting the latency compensation in Ableton - The fast track doesn't seem to have any other audio output than the headphone plug (and of course the USB cable), so I can't seem to get it to record the hit sent from Ableton back into Ableton. Is there a way to work around this? Of course, I can just try to adjust the delay compensation until it's good enough, but maybe there's another way..