SupaTrigga Trick

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Zilch

SupaTrigga Trick

Post by Zilch » Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:52 am

Create a simple delay on a send w/ feedback at 0, mix at 100% wet and delay time at 1 bar. now turn up the send channels send to itself to 100% and create a supatrigga after the delay in the chain and turn it off for now. Load up some 1 bar clips into the arranger and turn off looping so they just play through once and turn up the send to the delay on their tracks. Play a clip and it will endlessly repeat due to the feed back loop. Now you can turn on the SupaTrigga. Each repeat will be more and more scrambled ( I suggest turning down the "repeat prob" as it tend to turn the loop into a single repeating slice eventually ) When you hear something you like turn off the SuppaTrigga and it will be "frozen" so you can resample it on a track with "Master Out" selected as the audio input. Start combining this with other feedback loop techniques and things can get seriously out of hand. Look for more tricks in this vein in my forthcoming article on M-Powered remixing.
Aaron Zilch

Powerbook 10.4.8
800mhz 512RAM

Per Boysen

Re: SupaTrigga Trick

Post by Per Boysen » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:56 pm

Cool trick! :-)
Zilch wrote: my forthcoming article on M-Powered remixing.
Intersting! Where do I have to look for that article?
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

Zilch

Post by Zilch » Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:07 am

Hopefully on the M-Audio website. Haven't been able to work on it much lately. My gf and I are moving and a couple days later I'm taking off to vegas to check out a band I might be joining. Writing technical instructions is a pain in the ass too. hard to keep it from being confusing or boring. I need to find the guy who wrote the sherman filterbank manual to ghost write. Check out the interview i did if you want.
m-audio.net/news/articles/ahc/ahc_article.php
No technique talk, just a well deserved ass kissing for M-Audio. Did you know that you can pour water or fake blood directly into an oxygen8 and it will still function? quality design.
Aaron Zilch

Powerbook 10.4.8
800mhz 512RAM

thx for the tip :)

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:37 pm

Great Tip, thanks.

I'm new to live and I never would have guessed about doing feedback loops, in case this helps or further inspires anyone this is how I am using your tip...

I use live in conjunction with my record decks so instead of using a non looping clip as the input for the feedback loop, I am feeding the output of my dj mixer into track 1 of live. So this doesn't get out of hand with the feedback loop I use the send control on track 1, and just turn this up sharply for 1 bars worth of record to set the loop going.

Then set up live to crossfade between (a) track 1 and (b) the send channel.

Unfortunately you need to switch to the loop as soon as you have captured it, you can't leave it x-faded the other way within live and then come back to it later, as soon as you cut back to the decks (i.e. move the live xfader back to track 1) the feedback loop is cut off and the loop dies :(

Even so it still good fun and further than I have got before with live looping while mixing, I have a phatboy midi controller sat above my dj mixer which handles the sends and the xfader, so I don't have to look at the PC.

I feel like a kid with a new toy - capturing/building a loop off the decks, then scratching over it to add a bit more.. and a bit more... great fun.

... and I haven't even bothered with the supatrigger yet ;)

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:11 pm

I've been playing around a lot with this "effect/send track feedback loop" and I found it to work better for me with a compressor inserted after the delay. Then I can almost get an infinite loop going in the delay.

Also try to use a PingPong delay and map midi controllers to the EQ and timing (1, 2, 3, 4, etc). With this set-up you can scuplture the delay loop while it's happening.
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen

fsk

Post by fsk » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:39 pm

ok, wot the hell is a supatrigger or woteva.

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:44 pm

its like a regulare trigga, only more super...
doi!

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:49 pm

LOL ;-D

Seriously, do a search. The URL was posted somewher on this forum.
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen

fsk

Post by fsk » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:53 pm

just to add for the future, screenshots would help a lot.

fsk

Post by fsk » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:54 pm

oh ye thats right!!! dont make it clear u meant a plugin!!!!! man spent ages trying to search for wot a super trigga thing was. anyway thnx!