'Holding' Chords

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
flagellum

'Holding' Chords

Post by flagellum » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:44 pm

Hi all,

I use a guitar(with midi out) + Roland GI-20 + macbook ableton + firewire 410 + fcb 1010 system for live performance.
So I have audio output from my guitar to the amp (with a send back to the audio card for capture) and my guitar sends midi to Live (via the gi-20 midi converter).
Mostly I use live as a synth triggering different sounds with the fcb1010 by record arming each track with a midi instrument. SO I get synth + live guitar mix- I think it sounds great but I would like to:
Play a chord and have it 'held' on ableton so that I could then play over it with live guitar until it is 'released'.
I've tried attaching the controllers of fcb 1010 to infinite delay and then disarming the track but it is a little wild. I have also been using max to take the live midi and then on trigger stop receiving midi notes but not send a note-off message, but am stuck with a release time of the original instrument in live.
Could anyone advise if I am along the right lines of experiementation, or am I missing an obvious solution here?

Many thanks in advance.

[flag.]

Darwinist

Post by Darwinist » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:59 pm

What you seem to want is live looping.

There are numerous threads on that topic if you do a quick search.