Stuff in Live you wish you figured out a long time ago

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
Bierman
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: Stuff in Live you wish you figured out a long time ago

Post by Bierman » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:58 pm

this is such a gragantuan thread this may have been posted already but

command+alt+L = hide/show clip/track view in the bottom of the screen
command+alt+B = hide/show browser

great when youve got a big project and need as much screen real estate as you can get... easily maximise your viewable area quickly

yosh
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Stuff in Live you wish you figured out a long time ago

Post by yosh » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:40 pm

Okay, Here's one I learned, but I've forgotten who can clue me in...

When warping in Live 8, there is a way to add a new warp marker and simultaneously as warp markers at transients both before and after the new marker. I can't remember this trick... Who can help me out?

Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: Stuff in Live you wish you figured out a long time ago

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:05 pm

^ your post doesn't make sense.

to add a warp marker, just click where you want the warp marker's triangle to show up. it's in the manual.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

georgeblunt
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:48 am

Re: Stuff in Live you wish you figured out a long time ago

Post by georgeblunt » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:41 pm

yosh wrote:Okay, Here's one I learned, but I've forgotten who can clue me in...

When warping in Live 8, there is a way to add a new warp marker and simultaneously as warp markers at transients both before and after the new marker. I can't remember this trick... Who can help me out?
Hold CTRL while hovering over a transient marker. You'll see two additional grey warp markers at the surrounding transients. By double clicking you can add all three at once.

hurlingdervish
Posts: 1242
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:06 am
Location: The New England Colonies

Re: Stuff in Live you wish you figured out a long time ago

Post by hurlingdervish » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:12 pm

georgeblunt wrote:Holding down the ALT key when selecting in Arrangement view turns of clip selection.
Very useful, when you want to select/copy parts of clips or move the location marker without expanding the track.


what does that actually mean? i dont get it.

georgeblunt
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:48 am

Re: Stuff in Live you wish you figured out a long time ago

Post by georgeblunt » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:23 pm

hurlingdervish wrote:
georgeblunt wrote:Holding down the ALT key when selecting in Arrangement view turns of clip selection.
Very useful, when you want to select/copy parts of clips or move the location marker without expanding the track.
what does that actually mean? i dont get it.
Usually, when in arrangement view, a click on a collapsed clip selects the clip instead of moving the location marker to that position. The same happens when dragging: instead of selecting parts of the clip, it moves the actual clip.
When you're holding down ALT while clicking it behaves as if you'd clicked on an empty part of the track or the expanded part of the clip, meaning it acutally moves the location marker or selects parts of the track.

Was that clearer? :D

hoffman2k
Posts: 14694
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Stuff in Live you wish you figured out a long time ago

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:59 am

I'm starting a video series capturing some of the stuff discussed in this thread.
It'll be short videos, so people with short attention spans get something out of video tutorials too ;)

http://www.thecovertoperators.org/Video ... ive-part-1

bendybones
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:43 am
Location: Galway, Ireland

Re: Stuff in Live you wish you figured out a long time ago

Post by bendybones » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:12 am

georgeblunt wrote:
hurlingdervish wrote:
georgeblunt wrote:Holding down the ALT key when selecting in Arrangement view turns of clip selection.
Very useful, when you want to select/copy parts of clips or move the location marker without expanding the track.
what does that actually mean? i dont get it.
Usually, when in arrangement view, a click on a collapsed clip selects the clip instead of moving the location marker to that position. The same happens when dragging: instead of selecting parts of the clip, it moves the actual clip.
When you're holding down ALT while clicking it behaves as if you'd clicked on an empty part of the track or the expanded part of the clip, meaning it acutally moves the location marker or selects parts of the track.

Was that clearer? :D
Shift+Alt for me.
OS X
Live 8
MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.5.8, Live 8 Suite, Logic Studio 9, Ultralite Mk3

malutki
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 9:12 pm
Location: Near The Lake, Germany
Contact:

Re: Stuff in Live you wish you figured out a long time ago

Post by malutki » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:54 pm

holy bumpness!

now to find the time to read & learn all this.....
I'm going home

silveriofunk
Posts: 396
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:34 am
Location: London

Re: Stuff in Live you wish you figured out a long time ago

Post by silveriofunk » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:02 am

love this thread!

ton
Posts: 168
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2002 11:55 am
Location: year 2032

Re: Stuff in Live you wish you figured out a long time ago

Post by ton » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:31 am

Here another very important one which I just discovered, read 10 times to understand it:

Drag'n'drop equals to Copy'n'paste, especially for midi files.

This has the consequence that you can take any midi file on your harddisk, copy it into the clipboard using any programming language, e.g. AutoHotkey in Windows, and paste it in any clip slot in the session view you want. It means we are not dependent any more on drag'n'drop or mouse use for importing midis into the session view which I was disliking mostly in that area so far.

pepezabala
Posts: 3499
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: In Berlin, finally

Re: Stuff in Live you wish you figured out a long time ago

Post by pepezabala » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:26 am

this one is more like "new in live8":

You can cut (ctrl-x) and paste (ctrl-v) multiple scenes across your set.

Great for bigger performing set with multiple songs. I have finally put them into the order that I play them on the gig. so no more scrolling up or down in the set to find the next song.

paq
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Stuff in Live you wish you figured out a long time ago

Post by paq » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:15 pm

I read this thread the first time. some VERY useful hints, thanks everybody!! here is one it took me a year now to find out:

you can record all the midi created by an arp or the other midi effects to a midi clip. e.g.:

- put an arp and maybe random/velocity/notelength/whatever-u-like to an instrument track.
- make the mappings of the things u want to play around with
- press strg+shift+t to create a new midi track
- set input of this midi track to the arp track
- set both tracks, the arp track an the midi track 'sharp' (the red knob)
- record a clip in the midi track

now the arp is getting input of ur midi keyboard, while all the notes that the arp is making are recorded to the midi clip. u can pick the best parts out of it afterwards.

this also can be very useful for some drum variation. play a simple drum clip and while all notes in this clip are selected, do variations with pressing up/down-arrows, or even left/right arrows, or just create a note in a small moment and delete it again, etc. all the resulting midi (because it would be pretty hard afterwards to find out what exactly have been playing in which order) can be recorded to a new midi track. just put this one to ur drumkit afterwards and u got ur result.

i am sure this will make some people happy :).


regards

paq
nothin notable here.

malutki
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 9:12 pm
Location: Near The Lake, Germany
Contact:

Re: Stuff in Live you wish you figured out a long time ago

Post by malutki » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:38 pm

maybe it is common knowledge already,but

":oops:

I just noticed:
below the overview, but above the arrangement, that little grey area....
move your mouse there, behold the looking glass,
click+hold+drag = zoom zoom zoom!

8O"

(for arrangement-view srolling/zooming without having to ask for mousewheel implementation8which i'm asking for anyway))
I'm going home

3dot...
Posts: 9996
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm

Re: Stuff in Live you wish you figured out a long time ago

Post by 3dot... » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:08 am

malutki wrote:maybe it is common knowledge already,but

":oops:

I just noticed:
below the overview, but above the arrangement, that little grey area....
move your mouse there, behold the looking glass,
click+hold+drag = zoom zoom zoom!

8O"

(for arrangement-view srolling/zooming without having to ask for mousewheel implementation8which i'm asking for anyway))
...for real?
Image

Post Reply