sorry i am a rook, just got padkontrol and ableton 6

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Michael Jordan

sorry i am a rook, just got padkontrol and ableton 6

Post by Michael Jordan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:05 pm

can anyone please explain either in a detailed fashion or direct me to where i can find out myself how to assign a different sound (i.e. sample that i have myself cut up through other means) to each pad on my padkontrol controller, it is certainly no tin any directions i have found for the padkontrol, and with the dfh superior i can only get the first bass to recognize, i just want to use my own one shots, is there anyone that can help me or point me in the right direction, your help would be appreciated and returned sincerely.

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:23 pm

Basically what you have to do is set up some sounds in Ableton. For example, load an instance of Impulse and chuck some sounds in those slots. This and all instruments are now listening for MIDI input (if you record enable the track of course).

Then you need to setup your padKONTROL to output some MIDI notes. You can do this with the software editor (easy) or by hitting the 'Setting' button then make sure the 'Note/CC' button is selected under the parameter section. Then choose a pad (so it lights) and rotate the knob in the setting section to change MIDI note that a pad outputs*.

For impulse to be launched you'll have to set 8 pads to C4 - C5 (no sharps or flats). Normally, impulse accepts C3 - C4, but for some reason all Korg gear has to be set to an octave higher. If you don't know what I mean by this just ignore.

* Make sure you save your 'scene' before you switch off if you want the settings to remain. See the manual.

Lord Kahn

Post by Lord Kahn » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:45 pm

fatrabbit wrote:For impulse to be launched you'll have to set 8 pads to C4 - C5 (no sharps or flats). Normally, impulse accepts C3 - C4, but for some reason all Korg gear has to be set to an octave higher. If you don't know what I mean by this just ignore.
Korg gear (and the mpcs and most any drum machine...) output the standard General MIDI notes for some reason that's never been explained Ableton decided to ignore that (my guess is because the way it is means the slots are the white keys on the computer keyboard when it's switched to midi keyboard mode)

Michael Jordan

Post by Michael Jordan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:53 pm

okay, i have used impulse and sampler, but they only allow u to load one sample, which is then spread through each pad as different notes, but how do i assign different samples to each pad, not one sample to all pads,maybe this has been explained, but i dont see it, i will continue to try, and thanx for the prompt help both of you

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:24 pm

Michael Jordan wrote:okay, i have used impulse and sampler, but they only allow u to load one sample, which is then spread through each pad as different notes, but how do i assign different samples to each pad, not one sample to all pads,maybe this has been explained, but i dont see it, i will continue to try, and thanx for the prompt help both of you
Isn't that what I explained?

Impulse can hold upto 8 (in fact there is a way of getting 128 slots using racks, search for that here if you would like that).

You can have multiple sample in Sampler.. hit the Zone tab!

Or you could make an Audio track, load in multiple samples, go into MIDI map mode (Cmd + M) then assign each pad to each clip you've just loaded in.

Michael Jordan

Post by Michael Jordan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:38 pm

yes you did, and thank you, guess i should have done the foot work before i asked the second question, worked just like you said, thanx

Michael Jordan

Or you could make an Audio track, load in multiple samples,

Post by Michael Jordan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:41 pm

Or you could make an Audio track, load in multiple samples, go into MIDI map mode (Cmd + M) then assign each pad to each clip you've just loaded in.????? can u further explain this, cause i dont undertsand, everything else has panned out, so id like to get this part of it as well

Michael Jordan

Post by Michael Jordan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:49 pm

also, when i load them into sampler, and load many into the zone area, they are all higlighted or one, i cant assign different ones to different pads, so far, the pads just change thenote, what am i doing wrong??? i have actually atempted to work this, so i am not just asking with out some work as well, sorry for all the trouble, but your help has been great so far, much appreciated

Michael Jordan

side note?????

Post by Michael Jordan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:51 pm

is there a metronomein ableton, try as i might, and again i searched the hlp section as well as manual and cant find anything, when i type in mtronome, i get quaticize???

Michael Jordan

Post by Michael Jordan » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:33 am

again, i am a super rook, but i did find the metronome, finally, but still cant figure out how to work separate sounds within the zones in sampler

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:53 am

Here's what the zone editor looks like in Sampler:

Each sample can be assigned to a particular note (or multiple notes), just adjust the brackets. For example clap st 2.wav is set up to play when C#3 is pressed/played.

Here's what I mean by assigning pads to separate clip slots in an Audio track. Hitting a pad will then launch one of these clips.

If you didn't know where the metronome was, perhaps you should follow the lessons included with Live to get all the basics.

compositeone

Post by compositeone » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:07 pm

Hey nice one Fatty! I was a little confused by the zone view but that has helped a lot.

:D
http://www.myspace.com/compositeswerve

"So what kind of music do you make?"
"Both kinds...... drum and bass."

Michael Jordan

Post by Michael Jordan » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:22 pm

i seewhat your saying, to a degree, i still dont know how your assigning them to each nob, (in the sec sc ene u pasted) thanx for the indepth help, im gettin git slowly but surely, i have been using acid program for about 4-5 yrs, so its kinda strange learning a new program, but its happening

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:50 pm

Michael Jordan wrote:i seewhat your saying, to a degree, i still dont know how your assigning them to each nob, (in the sec sc ene u pasted) thanx for the indepth help, im gettin git slowly but surely, i have been using acid program for about 4-5 yrs, so its kinda strange learning a new program, but its happening
The reason that second shot is quite is blue is because i was in MIDI map mode when I took that. Enter that mode (Cmd + M) then click on any parameter that's blue and hit a pad on the padkontrol. It's now mapped. It's all in your manual... unless you have a cracked version?

Michael Jordan

Post by Michael Jordan » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:00 pm

no no no, i have a manual