One shot mode in Sampler?

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
JaeOne3345

One shot mode in Sampler?

Post by JaeOne3345 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:02 am

Forgive my noobness if I am overlooking something plainly obvious. I have searched the manual in pdf format in addition to this forum.

A buddy of mine is slowly convincing me to switch over to Ableton as a tool to work along aside my trusty e-mu sp1200/akai s950 combo. I was using the "Sampler" plug in but I could not figure out how to do something as simple as make the sample play in a one shot fashion (tap my midi controller and have the sample play all the way until the end without having to hold the pad down).

Does this only work in Impulse? I am looking for something a bit stronger/powerful than impulse and/or simpler so I figured "Sampler" might set me in the right direction.

I even selected the different play modes (looping all the way through,reversing, etc under the sustain/release settings) but could not get a simple snare to play all the way through.

Any help is greatly appreciated and again, forgive me if this is right in my face. I am trying to use Ableton's internal tools as opposed to loading up battery/kontakt (although I am super comfortable with them).

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:24 am

The way I use (don't know if this is the only way) is to set the envelope release time in the Filter/Global tab to 60sec.

I use this to get all my drum samples to play one-shot to their end. This may not be appropriate for other types of samples, though. Anyone?
RMBP i7 2.8GHz | OSX 10.14.6 | Live10.1.15 | Fireface800 | Push 2
https://soundcloud.com/paddyfree

JaeOne3345

Post by JaeOne3345 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:22 am

Yea, thats really odd you have to do "tricks" in order to do something as simple as trigger it in a one shot fashion. I guess I will just stick to loading up an instance of Battery and Kontakt.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:55 am

JaeOne3345 wrote:Yea, thats really odd you have to do "tricks" in order to do something as simple as trigger it in a one shot fashion. I guess I will just stick to loading up an instance of Battery and Kontakt.
Thats not a trick. Thats the actual method :wink:

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:47 pm

Since the ensoniq mirage, this is the method of creating a one shot.

with the newer samplers "one shot mode' is just a macro for the envelope method.
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

JaeOne3345

Post by JaeOne3345 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:55 pm

Thats not a trick. Thats the actual method
Since the ensoniq mirage, this is the method of creating a one shot.

with the newer samplers "one shot mode' is just a macro for the envelope method.
I own an Ensoniq EPS16+ as well, so I understand that for many older pieces of gear you do this same thing. On the EPS you set the envelope mode to "cycle"

but....

Even my old trusty Akai s950 (1988?) has a simple "one shot" mode which changes the envelope setting for you.

Still great software, just figured they would have a simple toggle to select one shot or not.

Thanks guys.
myspace.com/jaeone3345

womoma

Post by womoma » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:27 am

This is why I posted in the featurerequest area asking for a single Impulse Cell to be made available in a future version of Live - for use with racks.

For the meanwhile, make a rack of Simplers, each of which is set to a single key, keyzone. Then pitch each Simpler -1 from the previous one, as you move up the keyboard.

Save the rack.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:39 am

womoma wrote:This is why I posted in the featurerequest area asking for a single Impulse Cell to be made available in a future version of Live - for use with racks.

For the meanwhile, make a rack of Simplers, each of which is set to a single key, keyzone. Then pitch each Simpler -1 from the previous one, as you move up the keyboard.

Save the rack.
Thats the hard way of doing it ;)

http://www.thecovertoperators.org/archives/146

JaeOne3345

Post by JaeOne3345 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:21 pm

Thanks guys I just ended up either sticking with my akai s950, or when I actually wanna use Sampler, I just do it the "hard way" (setting key and root range for every new sample in a sampler module). I am used to this method because of my old hardware.

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:29 pm

ain't a damn thing wrong with the s950.

good luck, stay creative
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

JulianZCohen

Re: One shot mode in Sampler?

Post by JulianZCohen » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:43 am

JaeOne3345 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:02 am
Forgive my noobness if I am overlooking something plainly obvious. I have searched the manual in pdf format in addition to this forum.

A buddy of mine is slowly convincing me to switch over to Ableton as a tool to work along aside my trusty e-mu sp1200/akai s950 combo. I was using the "Sampler" plug in but I could not figure out how to do something as simple as make the sample play in a one shot fashion (tap my midi controller and have the sample play all the way until the end without having to hold the pad down).

Does this only work in Impulse? I am looking for something a bit stronger/powerful than impulse and/or simpler so I figured "Sampler" might set me in the right direction.

I even selected the different play modes (looping all the way through,reversing, etc under the sustain/release settings) but could not get a simple snare to play all the way through.

Any help is greatly appreciated and again, forgive me if this is right in my face. I am trying to use Ableton's internal tools as opposed to loading up battery/kontakt (although I am super comfortable with them).

If you right click on the top of the plugin, you can select "Sampler -> Simpler" and then select the "1-Shot" option in Simpler.

jestermgee

Re: One shot mode in Sampler?

Post by jestermgee » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:07 pm

Pretty sure he found a solution in the last 14 years mate :D