How do you all make that in ABLETON ? LIVE or arranging ?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Pannik

How do you all make that in ABLETON ? LIVE or arranging ?

Post by Pannik » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:24 pm

Hi guys,

I'm producing minimal, and some of you know, that minimal techno/house is full of clicks&cuts ans some more surprises and effects duriing the mainbeat.

How do produce with LIVE ?

Do arrange it completely or do you make it LIVE with your controllers ?

I can't imagine to handle the whole things during a minimal track with
only ten fingers ?

At the moment I'm using more CUBASE SX2 to produce (Sorry), because I can't imagine how I'm able in ABLETON to do all these things during a track.

Please give me some tips before I will buy me an full version of ABLETON.
At the moment im using LIVE4 lite to try it out !

I would prefer to to it live with my controller, because you've a lot of more fun and more feeling with this method.

Thanks

Pannik

IanBuzz

Post by IanBuzz » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:53 pm

Hi Pannik,

"I'm producing minimal, and some of you know, that minimal techno/house is full of clicks&cuts ans some more surprises and effects duriing the mainbeat. How do produce with LIVE ? "

Well it has the same base counsel that most music production platforms use. Faders, sends, returns... ext

As for minimal techno/house - there isn't just a button that will make the program output that kind of sound. It’s all about sound design - an art of its own.

I work on multiple platforms and if you can understand one real well you can apply that knowledge to others.

"Do arrange it completely or do you make it LIVE with your controllers ? "

That's up to you - personally I do a combination of both... I completely use it for production sometimes... I completely use it for performing live sometimes... And sometimes I produce and perform live with it.

"I can't imagine to handle the whole things during a minimal track with
only ten fingers ? "

I don’t know what to tell ya on that one - Are you trying to play every drum track? What is you intention?

Take care,

Ian Buzz

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:26 pm

Live 6 - read about Macros and racks.

Leave the help box open in the lower right corner all the time. Hover the mouse over an area in Live and play with that feature, hit record and move on. It's daunting learning a new DAW, there is no 1 or 100 ways to use Live, everyone does something different.

Minimal tip - Make a bunch of clips with noises, loops, whatever your style. Open clip view, select all your clips <ctrl-a>, set FOLLOW MODE to random. Read the manual/help box on FOLLOW MODE, basically your clips will trigger at random. Separate out instrument types by track, drums track 1 etc. or it can really train wreck, unless you want that. ;) Also put in blank clips so that every track isn't always playing.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Pannik

Post by Pannik » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:48 pm

Thanks, I will try that!

Pannik