DJS: how do you adjust the tempo in Live to mix into vinyl?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
lonemale

DJS: how do you adjust the tempo in Live to mix into vinyl?

Post by lonemale » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:31 pm

Ok, so assume you're coming on after a DJ who uses vinyl, and you want to mix right into his set so as not change the mood, but you are using LIve.... how do you do this?

I have all my tracks ready to go for a Live DJ performance, but this is the major stumbling block. No IDM solutions either - I'm talking tracky house or techno mixing.... just straight perfect locks. No fancy editing or workarounds... I can match beats without touching the platter, so a solution with the keyboard or controllers acting as the pitchwheel will suffice.

Patch

Post by Patch » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:39 pm

If you can ride the pitch - the best thing to do is to assign Lives master tempo to a fader on a controller. You can reverse the min/max value to have the fader act like a pitch control on a turntable.

kooki415

Post by kooki415 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:45 am

get the tempo set roughly and then when you bring it in to the mix ride the pitch on the turntable you are mixing out of.

RePeter

Post by RePeter » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:18 am

if you can get hold of a copy of plogue bidule, its easy to make yourself a pair of nudge up and down buttons, and a master tempo slider.... you then just mix as if its a cdj.
MBP 2.4 & a shit load of Faderfoxes!

lonemale

Post by lonemale » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:27 pm

>if you can get hold of a copy of plogue bidule, its easy to make yourself a pair of nudge up and down >buttons, and a master tempo slider.... you then just mix as if its a cdj.

this sounds like the solution I am looking for. I see that Plogue Bidule is available for Mac UB, but is there a demo available before buying - just to see if it works as I think it works? The demo link off the Plogue site seems to have expired.

Assuming I do get a demo of Plogue, is it straightforward to use, or will I have to commit some time to it, i.e. MAX/MSP?

ben_blue

Post by ben_blue » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:07 pm

PUSHANDPULL. its alittle app a guy made and it works like GENIUS. push and pull/ nudge.

im in love with it. the missing link!

only PC though.

http://smartextensions.gustavobravetti. ... lintro.htm
my favorites at the moment: MASSIVE. FM8. LIVE 6. Bome's Pro. KORE.

Patch

Post by Patch » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:52 pm

pushandpull looks sweet! Is there a way to hide tracks in live? Could be a little distracting (for me) having an extra 2 tracks that are not used in a live set. My set already has 8 tracks and 4 return tracks!

lonemale

Post by lonemale » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:28 pm

sounds great for PC users, but apart from Plogue Bidule, what options for us Mac users?

(Demo's aren't available currently for Plogue, and I don't want to pay $75 just to assign a "nudge" parameter to Live's tempo.)

The earlier post about assigning a MIDI slider to the pitch is useful, but:

A.) I don't have an extra slider. (Use the X-Session)

B.) The increments are not fine enough for tight locking.

Patch

Post by Patch » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:22 pm

You can use the keys on your keypad. Use Up + Down to shift the BPM by 1, and Shift+ or Shift- to change bpm by 0.1 BPM.

kennerb

Re: DJS: how do you adjust the tempo in Live to mix into vin

Post by kennerb » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:29 pm

lonemale wrote:Ok, so assume you're coming on after a DJ who uses vinyl, and you want to mix right into his set so as not change the mood, but you are using LIve.... how do you do this?

I have all my tracks ready to go for a Live DJ performance, but this is the major stumbling block. No IDM solutions either - I'm talking tracky house or techno mixing.... just straight perfect locks. No fancy editing or workarounds... I can match beats without touching the platter, so a solution with the keyboard or controllers acting as the pitchwheel will suffice.
Another solution that I use to do this is to assign the tap tempo. That way I can easily tap out the tempo and then bring the audio up. One tap sets it on the one which makes it even easier.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

lonemale

Post by lonemale » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:20 am

Patch wrote:You can use the keys on your keypad. Use Up + Down to shift the BPM by 1, and Shift+ or Shift- to change bpm by 0.1 BPM.
this would be great... but the tempo box needs to be highlighted when this is being done, right?

is there a way to just assign keys to +/- the tempo without actually using your mouse to highlight it?

lonemale

Re: DJS: how do you adjust the tempo in Live to mix into vin

Post by lonemale » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:28 am

kennerb wrote: Another solution that I use to do this is to assign the tap tempo. That way I can easily tap out the tempo and then bring the audio up. One tap sets it on the one which makes it even easier.
is there a way to not have Live start playing on the fifth tap? it's kinda helpful, but kinda annoying as well. it would be good to just lock the tempo via Tap, and then have another button on a controller ready to play it from the "start" cue.

RePeter

Post by RePeter » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:40 am

not sure when the plogue demo is gonna be back up, should n't be long though.

You do need to spend a bit of time learning plogue, but it's certainly worth it....i only use it for re-routing midi, but if you wanna do audio wizardry too, its more than capable.

I quite like the push and pull program. Very easy to set up and use, but it had a huge cpu usage (almost 5x as much i think) compared to plogue so still use that.
MBP 2.4 & a shit load of Faderfoxes!

halfadder
Location: inside the radiator with the lady who sings about heaven

Post by halfadder » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:29 pm

i have done this with dj/live pa hybrids. i map the tap on ableton to a key... get it close with the tap, get it closer with the bpm then once it is is near perfect then i start working with the 1200 instead since it is easier to control.