Compadre Beatpuncher (Side-Chain)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
BASSbüro

Compadre Beatpuncher (Side-Chain)

Post by BASSbüro » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:51 pm

damn, i can't get to work the side-chain of the compadre beatpuncher. what's wrong? any tips?

track 1: bass line & compadre beatpuncher
track 2: kick-drum

track 2 is routet to track 1 (3/4). but it doesn't work. can't hear the kick, only the bass line is playing. :cry:

any experiences with side-chaining with compadre out there?

thanx!
regards,
thom

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:17 pm

i think you'll need to create another track taking the audio from track 2 as keytracked side chaining like your doing doesn't allow the key audio to pass through generally speaking (i haven't used compadre...). the easiest way would be to create a return track then turn it's send up on track 2.
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

Shoma

Post by Shoma » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:19 pm

yepp, you should create another audio channel, monitor - IN, Audio from - Track 2

BASSbüro

Post by BASSbüro » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:38 am

hmm, it's a bit tricky. my reference example relevant side chain compression is the tutorial from sonictransfer with the sss side chain compressor plug-in:

track 1: bass-line -> audio to track 2 -> monitor in on track 2
track 2: sss side chain compressor
track 3: kick-drum -> audio to track 2 -> channel 3/4

then, turn up the key-volume of the sss side chain compressor and the kick-drum will return in full force.

compare with the compadre beatpuncher:

track 2: compadre beatpuncher (sc)

then, hit the key-button of the compadre beatpuncher and strangely enough the kick-drum DOESEN'T return in full force.

so you have to route this one:

track 2: compadre beatpuncher (sc)
track 2: audio from track 3

now, the kick-drum will return in full force. but i'm not safe is that really the same side-chain effect compare with the sss side chain compressor? i don't feel the real ducking pumping sound......he, he. :)

try it, the compadre beatpuncher costs only 49 bucks! come on, it's a steal....... 8)
regards,
thom

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:55 pm

you don't need three tracks for SSS, throw it across the bassline track and you've saved yourself a track.
ie.
track 2: sss side chain compressor
becomes
track 1: bass-line -> sss side chain compressor
track 2: kick-drum -> audio to track 1 -> channel 3/4

then, turn up the key-volume of the sss side chain compressor and the kick-drum will return in full force.

i haven't used compadre, but from what i could see it doesn't have a key throughput. why don't you do this...
track 1: bass-line -> compadre beatpuncher (sc)
track 2: kick-drum -> audio to track 2 -> channel 3/4
and turn up a return send on track 2 until you're happy with the levels like i suggested earlier.

ARDJ

Post by ARDJ » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:12 am

doesn't anyone use sends anymore? :)

BASSbüro

Post by BASSbüro » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:47 am

@clearscreen: can you explain me that with the sends a bit more? do you mean turn up the send A on track 2 (kick) and route the return-track A to track 1 (bass) or what? or do you mean turn up the send A on track 2 (kick) and the return-track A is routet to the master? what's the benefit? that's no classical side-chainin, imo.

i know that i don't need a second track for the sss. but i like to generate sub-mixes and call this second track "bus-mix". this bus-mix including a bunch of effects is then routet to the side-chain-track.........that's my own personal strange workaroung....he, he. :D
regards,
thom

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:22 pm

kick-drum DOESEN'T return in full force
it sounds like your not getting enough volume on the throughput of the kick, so just turn up (for example) send A on the kick track and you'll get more of the kick coming through. or, use it instead of the key throughput on compadre if your not happy with whats coming through. don't route return A back to compadre or anything, just send it to the master.

BASSbüro

Post by BASSbüro » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:27 am

ok, thanx, i'll try it.
regards,
thom

coldrush

can you see the key in button on the top right?

Post by coldrush » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:31 pm

hi, your setup is fine, on the compadre plugin press the key in button on the top right, it is best to create another track for the kick that will be heard throughout the track, you can press the listen button to listen to the kick, but i always use a separate track for the kick. a good place to start is by dropping the threshold all the way down, ratio to 100%, attack to 1ms, release to 70ms and bring the ratio back down to taste, then bring the threshold slider up.

Track one: bassline with compadre on with key in button selected and above setting.
Track two: kick, routed to track one, 3&4 otium fx (box below the audio to routing).
Track three: kick

Hope this helps!

Chris

BASSbüro

Post by BASSbüro » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:26 am

thanx, coldrush. this variant works also like a charm. didn't noticed (like mentioned above earlier from clearscreen and other posters), that the compadre don't have a key-through-put. so you have to double the kick, or work with the send.

now it goes on like this: whuam, whuam, whuam....he, he. :D
regards,
thom

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:32 pm

BASSbüro wrote:compadre don't have a key-through-put. so you have to double the kick, or work with the send.
Working with the send is actually a lot more versatile and hassle-free than using a key throughput. If you use the thoughput, you end up listening to the kick along the signal of your ducked channel, on that same channel. That's a bit restricting in many circumstances.

Just set the "Audio to" setting of any empty return channel to the compressor's key inputs, and now you can duck the material just by raising the corresponding send level on the kick channel.

Also note that you can now use multiple sources for the key signal as you please, and automate the send levels of different elements to "ride" the ducking depth. You can also process the key signal separately (on the return channel, before it gets to be routed into the key inputs) if you, for example, want to use only a certain frequency range as the key signal, like the low frequencies of a drum loop. Now you are also automatically keeping the actual source channel(s) of the key signal intact and don't end up imprinting that material into another channel's signal by using the key throughput workaround.

derders

Post by derders » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:42 pm

Hello to all,

I am ashamed but I cant get it to work ...

can pls someone be helpful (also for others who use Otium Compadre FX) and post an example .als or a screenshot of the settings ?

would be very great

thanks you very much

hmmm I have found my problem...

I have taken the "normal" Compadre Compressor....

not the otiumFX Compadre - Stereo SC

everything is fine yet :-)

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:40 pm

ARDJ wrote:doesn't anyone use sends anymore? :)
hahaha exactly what I was thinking!

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:44 pm

opps