using keyboard to trigger samples, can modwheel work?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
peerpee

using keyboard to trigger samples, can modwheel work?

Post by peerpee » Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:27 pm

If you trigger samples in Reason's NNXT from the keyboard, you can use the modwheel to smoothly change the pitch as you play.

With Live 3, when I've midi-ed it up to trigger clips from each keyboard key, the modwheel doesn't work. I can't midmap the modwheel to change the pitch, so I wondered if there was a way to do this?

Any help much appreciated! Thanks!

jeff

this could work

Post by jeff » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:23 pm

never tryed it, but i think this couls work:
the problem is - i think - that "live" ignores the mw-controltype.
so if u change the control-type of your modweel in the keyboard to any other than the speciefied ones (pitchbend, mw, aftertouch, expression, ...) it could work. becouse then the mw sends a simple value between 1 and 127 like any other knob u find on midi-keys.
jeff

sgruv

Post by sgruv » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:46 am

mod works on my nord lead 1 as a midi controller. I just assigned it by clicking on midi, of course make sure you have your midi settings correct in your preferences.

:D

salatspinatra

not really

Post by salatspinatra » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:05 pm

I skimmed through the other responses, but I think I can confidently say, it will not work with any real effectiveness. Artistry perhaps, but effectiveness no. the mod whell is a contigous-sp? controller. with every subtle change to it, it is sending a midi message. firing a scene or slot is a matter of yes/no on/off 1/0 you get the idea. What midi assign will do if a contigious controller is assigned to what ammouts to a button, is it will give it absolute values (128 for on and 0 for off, I think). So the effect of moving the mod wheel will be a collection of she-loves-me, she-love's-me-not's, ons-off's you see? The mod wheel on most machines can not be reassigned to be as crude as 0 for one extreeme and then 1 for the other. then it would work. Until then, the mod can create a nice flam to your firing. Play with the trigger modes of your clips. It can't promise you'll always end up on the "on", but you may enjoy the results.

salatspinatra

okay what was it you wanted to do again?

Post by salatspinatra » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:16 pm

Now I see. To use the mod wheel to move up and down in pitch. CHange on your controller the mod wheels response, by setting it to continuous pitch values rather than control change #'s. Make note of the range and register that the mod wheel covers, and (in my opinion) adjust it to somthing manageable (12up 12down in half steps, perhaps.) Then in midi mode assign the slot you are interested in to the same range of notes that the mod wheel now covers.

Now if we are talking fine tuning or semitones, I think I'll have to defer this question. You've just eaten up a whole range of your keyboard for this trick. Would it be worth it? Maybe resample whatever it is you are pitch bending, and send it back through somthing more dedicated to processing the sound-like a kaoss pad. it's a start.

salatspinatra

or the grain delay

Post by salatspinatra » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:20 pm

set to pitch. feedback 0? 0.0 predelay. and set the second grain delay variable to 0 as well? put it on a send channel and you can pitch bend whatever's going to it. Assign this axis (the x or y, whichever you've chosen for the pitch parameter) to your mod wheel. Now this might work.