slicing

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
darthstephen

slicing

Post by darthstephen » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:04 pm

i apologize if this has been written 300 times...i can't seem to find my answer with the forum search.

is it possible to set markers in an audio loop (clip view) and then randomize the playback between markers to create changes in a static beat. i've been using renoise to slice up beats by the tick, but i'm sure this can be done from within live.

thanks for the help. :)

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:12 pm

Nope, not that way. You can slice a beat and drop the parts into impulse. That is the closest you get to a slicer in Live.

alternatively, you can slice the beat and assign the parts to different clip slots and use random follow actions. if you then map out a midi controller to the slots you can "play" the beat.

darthstephen

Post by darthstephen » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:27 pm

Michael-SW wrote:Nope, not that way. You can slice a beat and drop the parts into impulse. That is the closest you get to a slicer in Live.

alternatively, you can slice the beat and assign the parts to different clip slots and use random follow actions. if you then map out a midi controller to the slots you can "play" the beat.
so...would i have to make these slices in the arrangement view and then import them to impulse or a clip?

if so, ouch! :)

does the addition of sampler make this easier. perhaps cutting up the loop in one view at least and assigning the sections to different keys/zones?

edit...pkay, nevermind...i see. even if i used sampler, i'd have to import the loop multiple times and then set the loop points in each import to reflect a different beat in the loop...then assign that to different keys. :(

no matter what, i'd have to make the cuts in the arrangement view...is that correct?

laird

Post by laird » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:21 pm

I am on my internets computer, so I can't double check the tutorial name, but there's one called something like "rearranging drumbeats using the sample start time envelope"

I also can't find it in the wiki, so it must be one of the tutorials that came with Live6. (related tip : http://virtualturntable.fourstones.net/ ... leton-live)

Anyhow, one of the Clip envelope views is sample start time (volume being another) and you can use this offset to 'jump' to a different region of your loop. This isn't as intuitive/visual as Recycle! or manually slicing & rearranging audio clips, but you can use it to rearrange sample "slices" without actually slicing samples.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:44 pm

You can to the same in Session view by copying the beat to a number of cells and then setting the start and end points for each copy.

But I like using Arrangement as a cutting board. It is very quick: Just drag the clip there, unfold to see the vaweform, mark, cut (Ctrl-E), mark, cut etc. If you use two copies you can cut them up in different ways. Then select all the slices and drag them back to Session. They will arrange themselves neatly in individual cells.

Then select the all the slices and set up some fun follow actions. Add some EQs, delays, whatever, start everything playing and resample the result.

Just for fun I did exactly the above while typing out this post. Took me just a couple of minutes.

Edit: If you want a real slicer you have to go and buy a VST like Phatmatic Pro.

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:46 am

are you on mac or pc, anyway look up 'disco dsp highlife' it's a nice sampler with a slicer, or look up 'shortcircuit free' its another nice sampler with a slicer, they both are free
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

BassTooth

Post by BassTooth » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:22 am

what is a slicer/slicing exactly? doesn't Gate perform this function?

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:14 pm

BassTooth wrote:what is a slicer/slicing exactly? doesn't Gate perform this function?
No. A slicer allows you to rearrange a loop by cutting it up into an arbitrary number of parts and then triggering the parts (slices) by midi. It is also a handy time stretching technique for percussive material.

Google Phatmatic Pro if you want to learn more.

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:25 pm

I use and love Phatmatik Pro by izotpe.

good software for what you want to do.

A little bit expensive though, for what it does.
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

defmut

Post by defmut » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:00 pm

Lucifer 2 by devine machines is also a slicer right? Anybody have a preference over Phatmatik Pro or Lucifer? I'm thinking of buy Lucifer just bc it's cheaper.

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:50 am

I didn't know lucifer was a slicer?, does it specificly slice samples and then allow you to trigger the slices individualy with midi notes,

does it specificly allow you to take a loop, like say a 4 bar guitar riff i've recorded and then slice the loop up into equal parts so that I can play it within a sequence with other music at a slower or faster tempo?
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.