line 6 toneport kb 37- Opinions???

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
PClark

line 6 toneport kb 37- Opinions???

Post by PClark » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:45 pm

I am considering purchasing a line 6 toneport kb 37 to use with live 6 on a new macbook. If anyone has experience with this piece of hardware any opinions or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

PClark

Post by PClark » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:45 pm

or any of the toneport products?

RobbQuik

Post by RobbQuik » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:57 pm

I own the UX2, and I can easily say its some of the best money I ever spent.

Charlie415

Post by Charlie415 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:17 pm

I own the UX2 and for the most part I'm very happy with it. As of late I've been using a THD Hotplate as a load box for my Mesa Boogie. I run the line out from the Hotplate into the Toneport and use Gearbox for cabinet emulation. Sounds great. The Toneport by itself sounds very good as well. The Toneport is actually an external soundcard and it provides super-low latency.

Here's a suggestion though - you might want to get the Gearbox plug-in (stand alone software with no Toneport) which you can use in Ableton live and get a different interface for your guitar. This way you can record the guitar dry into ableton and continue to mess with different amps/cabinets tones etc all you want in ableton without having to re-record anything.

I already own the Toneport and the bastards at Line6 are charging another 175 dollars if I want to use Gearbox (software I already paid for!!) as a plug-in. I'm annoyed as hell about this but other than that the Toneport is a really good product.

Illumin

Post by Illumin » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:07 am

UX2 works great! No probs yet, just got it last week. But definitely beware, buying it doesn't get you the plugin of gearbox, only standalone, so recording into live is only post FX, therefore no emulation altering. I wasn't aware of this when I got it, but I was impressed w/ the sounds so I got the plug-in same day online. I got a killer deal on the hardware anyway, so it wasn't really a bust.
"stuff"

tricil

Post by tricil » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:32 pm

Charlie415 wrote:I own the UX2 and for the most part I'm very happy with it. As of late I've been using a THD Hotplate as a load box for my Mesa Boogie. I run the line out from the Hotplate into the Toneport and use Gearbox for cabinet emulation. Sounds great. The Toneport by itself sounds very good as well. The Toneport is actually an external soundcard and it provides super-low latency.
interesting... that's a lot of gain and power to be just reduced to a line out signal. what style do you play? metal?

and what cabinets would you choose and why not just mic a cabinet if you already are half way there?

curious.
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

Charlie415

Post by Charlie415 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:02 am

tricil wrote:
Charlie415 wrote:I own the UX2 and for the most part I'm very happy with it. As of late I've been using a THD Hotplate as a load box for my Mesa Boogie. I run the line out from the Hotplate into the Toneport and use Gearbox for cabinet emulation. Sounds great. The Toneport by itself sounds very good as well. The Toneport is actually an external soundcard and it provides super-low latency.
interesting... that's a lot of gain and power to be just reduced to a line out signal. what style do you play? metal?

and what cabinets would you choose and why not just mic a cabinet if you already are half way there?

curious.
I play all sorts of styles. I record at home in an apartment so I need to record silently and/or very quietly. Given the option to mic a cabinet in a good sounding room I would definitely prefer it over the HotPlate. The Hotplate is a very good sounding alternative though. It's just a bunch of tuned resistors that are used to take the place of a speaker load, or it can reduce the output going to a speaker cab so you can turn the amp up and get some power tube saturation going at lower volumes.

PClark

Post by PClark » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:56 pm

Thanks for the input. I think I'll pick one up.

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:02 pm

I have the UX1. Sounds great. No problems so far.
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

PClark

Post by PClark » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:28 pm

sounds like people with UXs are happy with them. Thanks for the info. Anyone use the KB37 specifically?

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Mon May 21, 2007 2:53 pm

Monitor on Toneport Ux2 can cue diferent chanel, or monitor output (headphone out) its asigned to same master signal?

Can cue tracks with Toneport Ux2 ?

skipkent

ux1

Post by skipkent » Mon May 21, 2007 3:30 pm

I have the ux1 and absolutely love it. Great sounds out of the box, great latency, low price. The keyboard combo package looks nice.

I'm a fan of 'printing' basic effects to tape (digitally speaking). The ux series are great for this, but you can always upgrade to the plugin if you can't live without 1,000,000 options!

Ux 1 headphone/monitor is same output as I understand it. Use an external mixer to split this up.

wheat

Post by wheat » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:12 am

I just got my UX2 this week, but I'm really loving it. The sounds are impressive, and it was easy to set up and get going.

Wheat

Sonicavenger

KB37

Post by Sonicavenger » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:44 am

I checked out the KB37 for my department at Berklee and I was impressed with the options for sure, but, there was one MAJOR setback I noticed--no aftertouch. I, along with other professors, were very bummed and very suprised Line6 missed that one. The plug-in thing was a drag too. I noticed someone suggested to purchase the Gear Box plug-in and use another interface. BEWARE: While you can use another interface if you have one you love, you still HAVE to have a Line 6 interface present (connected) in order to open Gearbox! Another Line6 bummer.

As for tones: most Line6 models are pretty useable. I played all the musical examples on the Guitar One magazine CD-ROM and web content from Dec. 05 to the last issue this past June and if I didn't have the actual gear I went to the POD XTLive floor unit and programmed the tones from the Line 6 Edit freeware app. It was quick and easy and usually worked very well. Towards the end I used the M-Audio Black Box too.

Hope that helps!

ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:04 pm

Wow, you definitely brought this one back from the dead. Thanks for the advice though I ended up buying one several months ago. I am very happy with it as it suites my needs perfectly, small, portable, all in one. You actually dont need to have the software running to use the device though it would be nice to be able to automate its parameters as a plug in. The modeling is great as well. The one big drawback is that it does not have enough assignable knobs and buttons but for the price you can easily buy another control device.