shortcut for zoom in/out+

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Zky

shortcut for zoom in/out+

Post by Zky » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:20 am

any shortcut for zooming in the arrangement view??

silly yes...

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:52 am

Would you believe + and -

there are no silly questions. just silly answers :D
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Tim Moore

Post by Tim Moore » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:24 am

Pitch Black wrote:Would you believe + and -
i would believe if only + was working to me (macbook). is that a bug?

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:15 am

Ah! good point.

Same for me here on my Macbook Pro, "+" [or shift and "=" in the number line] zooms in but "-" [or shift and "-" in the number line] doesn't work. So that looks like a bug.

However, the "+" and "-" on the numeric keypad of my USB Qwerty keyboard both work fine.

Strange.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:39 am

Zoom works fine here on my MBP, zoom in is obviously Shift + =. But yeah, no issues here using that.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

mauve

Post by mauve » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:27 pm

I reassigned zoom in /out to other keys so i could use my left hand. More ergonomic.
F1 and F2
By default those are for de/activating track 1 and 2.

djgrow

Post by djgrow » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:23 pm

why cant the scroll wheel on the mouse do this! So annoying...
i7 965, 6gb ddr3, asus p6t, xp sp3, emu 1616m pci, virus ti, Live 7.03, waves, psp, sonnox, magix, ohm boyz

http://www.myspace.com/djgrow

beubbo

Post by beubbo » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:29 pm

mauve wrote:I reassigned zoom in /out to other keys so i could use my left hand. More ergonomic.
F1 and F2
Hi,

Cool tip... but how/where in LIVE did you reassigned (customized, remapped...) the "+" & "-" keys to the new ones (F1 & F2) ?

Thanks
B

mauve

Post by mauve » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:49 pm

beubbo wrote:
mauve wrote:I reassigned zoom in /out to other keys so i could use my left hand. More ergonomic.
F1 and F2
Hi,

Cool tip... but how/where in LIVE did you reassigned (customized, remapped...) the "+" & "-" keys to the new ones (F1 & F2) ?

Thanks
B
Hey beubbo
I did it on Mac, in system prefferences, it allows you to customize keyboard shortcuts for different applications. I reassigned mute/activate action of the F1 and F2 to some other
crazy combination that I would never use, and assigned Zoom in out to them. It works a bit different form the previous - and + though. I can't just click and hold it until it zooms to desired view. I have to do click. click by increments. But still it is WAY faster having it done by left hand. In fact i reassigned most shortcuts that way. "Select Loop" and so on.....

beubbo

Post by beubbo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:02 pm

mauve wrote: Hey beubbo
I did it on Mac, in system prefferences, it allows you to customize keyboard shortcuts for different applications. I reassigned mute/activate action of the F1 and F2 to some other
crazy combination that I would never use, and assigned Zoom in out to them. It works a bit different form the previous - and + though. I can't just click and hold it until it zooms to desired view. I have to do click. click by increments. But still it is WAY faster having it done by left hand. In fact i reassigned most shortcuts that way. "Select Loop" and so on.....
Thanks a lot Mauve !

Although the ability to customize ALL Live's keyboard shortcuts within Live (ala DP, Logic...) would have been far more elegant than this workaround, what da ya think ?!

Thanks again for that cool worka... err... tip ;)

B

djlancejordan

Re: shortcut for zoom in/out+

Post by djlancejordan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:44 pm

I have the same problem on MBP but figured out the + sign requires shift key, while - sign does not, that's just the way the QWERTY keyboard is laid out. Can easily be fix with System Preferences>Keyboard>Keyboard Shortcuts and add custom setting for Live.

dan_subcut

Post by dan_subcut » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:16 pm

ive found another solution to this problem. im on mavericks and using standard mac wired keyboard (with numpad). had the same problem where u have to hold shift and press equals sign to get the '+' key, but the '-' key doesnt need the shift modifier...

i was having the same problem as mentioned above, the reassignment of zoom shortcuts per app in the system prefs -> keyboard kinda works for live... but if u notice the menu commands change wherever u click in live (so if you cick on the clip view area/etc at the bottom of the screen the menu commands + & - change to "fold/unfold plugin" or whatever), and this why you have to click on view in the menu bar at the very top to reset the shortcut all the time.... i was using F10 & F11 for zoom in/out but it kept changing back to enable full screen - very annoying.

anyway, the solution i found was to use a program called ukelele - the reason for me posting all this as it took me a while to suss out how to use it, so it may save someone else some time... of course this is all for mac but im sure you could do the same for pc/windows with another program.

- go to your mac system prefs -> keyboard -> input sources. add a new keyboard (i added a U.S one as its same key layout as UK one). tick the show input in menu bar if not done already.
- open ukelele http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page ... id=ukelele , choose your new keyboard layout from menu bar . close the keyboard layout that opens on ukelele startup.
- go to new keyboard from current input source in the file menu . double click on the icon to open the keyboard layout gui in ukelele. double click on the '+' key (or what ever one you reassigning) and input your desired key . hold modifiers to change what keys/symbols are displayed and double click to edit, same as before.
- save your new keyboard .bundle file to the desktop or wherever . open it in ukelele and then go to install in the file menu - to install you new keyboard in your mac. i installed for both current and all user.
- open your mac system prefs -> keyboard -> input sources and delete your U.S keyboard. click to add a new keyboard and this time there should be 2 U.S keyboards in the menu, but one will have no pic and say "keyboard layout not available instead". add this one to your input source and select it for use in your menu icon at top of screen .

and that should be it. i realise that changing the whole keyboard affects other apps too, but in this case its just the one key so it should affect anything too much, and u always have the option to change back to your default keyboard layout by choosing it in the menu bar at top. im happy anyway , zooming and collapsing plug ins on the left hand leaving the mouse free is speeding things up nicely :) hope this helps someone!

latingate

Post by latingate » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:43 am

For me in the MBP:
Zoom in: Shift +
Zoom out: Fn -

Emergency Oxygen

Re:

Post by Emergency Oxygen » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:19 am

mauve wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:27 pm
I reassigned zoom in /out to other keys so i could use my left hand. More ergonomic.
F1 and F2
Hi!
How did you do that? I am trying to reassign zoom to my usual keys.

BOSSMAN_JAKE

Post by BOSSMAN_JAKE » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:25 am

cmd+ scroll wheel is also an option. I was looking to set up macros for my new mouse, but I went into the info view and hovered over the magnifier at the top of the arrangement view, and there it was! It's good enough for me I think. And I could've been doing it this whole time. :mrgreen: