Can you automate the 'MIDI from' Input?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
spkey

Can you automate the 'MIDI from' Input?

Post by spkey » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:27 am

Not sure it this makes any sense but what I am trying to do is similar to what is known as program change in Cubase.

As an example lets say that I have a MIDI channel taking information from MIDI Channel 1 for half a track and I want it to take information from MIDI Channel 3 for the second half. This is because I want to use the same VST but for different melodies and I can't use a second instance of that vst (maybe a bug or my cpu overloading). My second choice of rendering the first instance as wav isn't good as I don't want to make a final decision on the sound just yet.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Kind Regards,
sp.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:29 am

Make 2 MIDI tracks that feed into 1.
1 hold the instruments. The other 2 hold MIDI sequences.
Place a velocity plugin on both if you want to fade one to the other.

spkey

Post by spkey » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:05 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply!

by the way, eeeeerrr.... don't wanna be a pain but no matter how many times I read this I haven't got a clue what you mean. Could you please elaborate a bit?

Many thanks!

Lord Kahn

Post by Lord Kahn » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:48 pm

A midi track doesn't have to have an instrument on it. If it doesn't you get a drop down that lists the possible places Live can route the info to and a channel that it will go to. So you can have your two sequences on two instrumentless tracks that feed into the track that actually holds the VST.