Send control data to "CURRENTLY SELECTED TRACK"?

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
Majnun

Send control data to "CURRENTLY SELECTED TRACK"?

Post by Majnun » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:05 am

I'm fiddling with Mackie emulation and user remote scripts, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do anything with the currently selected track.

Does anyone know how to either:
1 Send Mackie Control data to fade, mute, tweak sends, etc. on the CURRENTLY SELECTED track?

2 use instant mapping to do it?

3 plain old vanilla midi mapping (purplse screen) way to do it?

glenc

Post by glenc » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:07 am

Some of what you want can be done by automating the clip parameters, i.e. clip transpose, clip gain, but this doesn't cover things like send levels ...

Something similar to what you're talking about has been requested by myself and others here: http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62229

Majnun

Post by Majnun » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:20 am

I'm not sure you understand me (or maybe I'm not understanding you.)

What I want to do, is move the focus to a track (via any method, arrow keys, macro control arrow keys, whatever.).

Then I want to map a midi note to:
Arm the current track

Map a cc to:
Pan the current track

And so on. All I can figure out how to do is wire up some automaps, which do a good job with dealing with parameter values on instruments, etc. but which don't give me the flexibility I need for more than 8 tracks.

Is there no way to control "the current track" with a controller, must I bind everything to a specific tracks buttons, etc.?

akust

Post by akust » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:08 pm

I agreed.
Should be written in "wishlist" forum.

I describe a workaround for Windows. It is pretty complicated but once it works it can be cool. And there are nerds like me who actually do it...

It uses MidiYoke and MidiOx

prepare Live
- define a midi remote for every individual control you need (solo, rec...), each must get it's own CC or Note
- also define track selection (set by track name)
- have a track sending Track Midi Out (not remote) to MidiOx (e.g. MYoke 1)
- open same Port for Remote (not track midi) from MidiOx back

work out a mapping system in MidiOx
intention: universal-controls like "selected-track-REC", "Sel.-track-SOLO"... will be mapped dynamically to the selected tracks controls.

example using "REC":
ch1 note C1 is your universal "REC",
on track 1 "rec" is called by ch16 note C-2
on track 2 "rec" is called by ch16 note D-2
so you need a way to temporarily map midi data from C1 to C-2 working with track 1, and a different map from C1 to D-2 when you select track 2.

It can be done in MidiOx by combination of "midi data mapping" and "patch mapping" - a great feature combination, each one can be saved individually (for sure)!
Port Routing of MidiOx is (e.g.): MYoke1-In active; MidiOxEvent connected to MidiYoke1-Out.
Data Map maps your universal-controls to the actual-track-controls
Patch Map called by Programchange, it switches the data map according to actual track.

Tricky part is to deside the used midi remote controls and channels in Live and then programing the midi maps for each track and build the Patch map. It needs patience and clear brain.

Finally in Live you call the Map-switching and track selection by using clips at the track sending Midi to MidiOx. For track selection simply call the remote CC or Note (the control you set) directly and set the Programchange (to change track mapping in MidiOx) in clip editor.

After firing the clip (don't loop) the Track is selected and you universal controls are mapped to the tracks buttons!

concrete signal flow:
- you call a clip "track x" by (normal) remote CC or note,
- the clip sends 'track select' remote CC and a Programchange to MidiOx
- MidiOx doesn't change the CC for 'track select' and sends it back to Live
> track is selected
- MidiOx switches to the corresponding Map
> You can use the universal-controls to change the buttons on selected track

in a similar way I successful auto-routed many live controls and bridged the Sysex vacuum around Live.

...Unfortunately my english often sucks. I hope you could understand.
regards

akust

Post by akust » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:37 am

...or you get some of thesecontrols. It seems to provide maximum adaptation.

flipotto

Post by flipotto » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:34 pm

Majnun wrote:I'm not sure you understand me (or maybe I'm not understanding you.)

What I want to do, is move the focus to a track (via any method, arrow keys, macro control arrow keys, whatever.).

Then I want to map a midi note to:
Arm the current track

Map a cc to:
Pan the current track

And so on. All I can figure out how to do is wire up some automaps, which do a good job with dealing with parameter values on instruments, etc. but which don't give me the flexibility I need for more than 8 tracks.

Is there no way to control "the current track" with a controller, must I bind everything to a specific tracks buttons, etc.?

Hey - well, I know you have a bcr2000. If you put it into mackie mode you can get excellent control over your first 8 channels. No sweat.
Arms, faders, solos, mutes and a host of other commands that are sweet.
On the link i sent you in the other thread, yahoo
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/bc2000/
there is a file there for sysex files to put the bcr2000 into mackie emulation.

Now I understand you want more than 8 ch control. You have it with that mackie emulation using the preprogramed "bank >" and "bank <" buttons. So when you bank down you get 9-16, 17-24.... etc to however many tracks you have. So it does what you want. You can also select tracks to focus.
Also, you get control of devices, like vsts using the top row of rotary encoders as vpots.
I wrote some documentation for it. Check it ok.

If you use Huskervu, a software lcd emulation, you can see what you are controlling.
It is all in the file.
It will do, what I think, you are after.

Majnun

Post by Majnun » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:06 pm

flipotto:
Right... which is the source of this question. The mackie emul thing makes me bind a control to arm for each 8 tracks, I just want a single button to "arm selected" not "arm 1" "arm 2" "arm 3" etc.

akust:
Yeah, I was afraid I was going to have to do something like that.

chris_dan

Re: Send control data to "CURRENTLY SELECTED TRACK"?

Post by chris_dan » Sun May 06, 2007 6:58 am

Majnun wrote:I'm fiddling with Mackie emulation and user remote scripts, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do anything with the currently selected track.

Does anyone know how to either:
1 Send Mackie Control data to fade, mute, tweak sends, etc. on the CURRENTLY SELECTED track?

2 use instant mapping to do it?

3 plain old vanilla midi mapping (purplse screen) way to do it?

Hi Majnun,

When using Mackie Control as your remote "midi in" script as set-up under the midi prefs tab in Live, sending a note on/off value for F7 (90 64 7F) will move the highlighted track indicator to the left and sending a note on/off value for E7 (90 65 7F) will move the highlighted track indicator to the right. Although it's visually correct any midi "tweak" data is still controlling or "focused" on the track that you came from. When using a supported control surface the above midi messages are what the control surface is sending when you press the left and right arrow keys on the control surface and indeed the "focus" is being shifted from track to track.

I've been working on an emulation for the fcb1010 to control Live607 so I may be able help you some. I do use an additional midi utility call Midi Translator Pro v1.50 as a component of the emulation.

In order to change the focus from track to track you need to use the "select track" midi map function. Before you use the above you should take note of whatever "note on/off" messages that your controller can send and/or set aside a range of "note on/off" messages, program those messages into your controller and then in Live's session view open the midi mapping screen. The track title bar at the top of each track is where you want to assign the "note on/off" messages that you set-up above. Then, when you send those messages from your controller the "focus" will now reflect the highlighted track in Live.

That's the easy part as the track focus is handled on midi chn01 for all tracks, returns and master out. From what I've seen most people tend to map the controller switches to match Live's tracks on a one to one basis. i.e. pedal 01 is Live's track 01 and pedal 02 is Live's track 02 etc.....

I've taken a different approach where I address all the related track activities (pan,on/off,solo,record/arm,sends,input/output,clip section,track/fader) by assigning them to specific midi channels. i.e. all available parameters for track 01 will only hear midi chn01 data and track 02 will only hear midi chn02 data etc.....

If you need more information just e-mail me.
Chris