Ableton 6 & Axiom 25: How do I use preset 17?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
bevers

Ableton 6 & Axiom 25: How do I use preset 17?

Post by bevers » Tue May 01, 2007 12:21 am

Well, I've looked through the sparse information that came with my Axiom 25, and also looked in the online manual for Ableton 6, but I can't find anything on how to set Ableton (or is the Axiom?) to preset 17. Does this "preset 17" thing happen automagically? What am I missing?

I'm a high-school teacher, and I'm just trying to give the kids (and ok, the teacher too) something to bang on. Ideally, the pads on the Axiom would make drum noises, and the keyboard would make keyboard sounds, and the 8 knobs would change various parameters.

I apologize for such a basic question, but I just can't seem to find any coherent documentation on how to make this happen.

Any tutorial website or other extremely basic sites would be most welcome. I'm not a musician, I'm a computer guy, so this is all new to me.

Thanks in advance for your help!

flipvert

Post by flipvert » Tue May 01, 2007 7:45 am

Hi...

Ok... well

First thing is to try using the ENIGMA software to set up a template of what things do what inside ableton with your keyboard.

CTRL + M opens MIDI learn so you can have the parameters open in a VST (in the bottom right of the screen turn the dial you want to automate with the keyboard. and you wil lsee the relevant slider move in the bottom right. use CTRL + M and then click on the paramter that was moving in the bottom right (it highlights) then turn the KNOB you want to use, then press CTRL + M again.... now when you turn that KNOB it will move the paramter.

You may be able to do this with various VSTs, for example DRUM SAMPLER (Battery / Impulse) on MIDI channel 1 use the above CTRL + M method to set the pads to trigger KIK DRUM ... SNARE DRUM ... HI HATS etc...

Press the record arm on the right hand side of the screen of the synth channel and this should enable the keys to play the synth...

and the CTRL + M method to set the Filter cutoff of say the synth... using the knobs...

not very well explained, but hope it helps...

taaloopa

Post by taaloopa » Tue May 01, 2007 8:22 am

Press the Recall button on the Axiom, then use the + and - buttons to select preset 17.
If you then drag Impulse into a track from the browser & record arm it, the buttons should be already set up to trigger the drum sounds in the impulse.
If you drag operator / simpler into a track & rec. arm it, the keys on the Axiom will trigger the sounds from that.

Using the midi learn function ( M button, top right - or ctrl+M everything turns blue ) you can click on a parameter, fader etc in Live, then tweak a rotary knob on the axiom - this will then set that parameter / fader to be controlled by the knob on the axiom.

Good luck & have fun.
Live 9 macbook pro 2.2Ghz 10GB Ram MOTU Traveller Axiom 25 controller & lots of percussion...

http://www.drumscapes.net
http://www.facebook.com/jonsterckx
http://www.jonsterckx.co.uk
https://www.youtube.com/c/JonSterckx

bevers

Thanks!

Post by bevers » Tue May 01, 2007 4:01 pm

Taken together, these replies got me where I wanted to be. Thanks to both of you for taking the time to help me get going.

dionroy

Ableton 6.0 , Axiom 25 and p17

Post by dionroy » Sat May 12, 2007 5:01 am

I have used the enigma software to update my Axiom 25.

I confirmed that the drum pads are using "60, 62, 64, 65, etc etc" however no matter what I can only use the piano keys to get any response from Simpler.

The result is always the same, even if i manually configure P01 on the Axiom 25 for the same values as P17.

I can see the signal coming in from the keyboard drum pads, however they are not triggering Simpler.

I have reset my axiom 25 to the axiom 25 defauls provided by the enigma application and Im back at square one.

Someone help!

(Ableton 6.0 Live Lite)

donpepperoni

Post by donpepperoni » Tue May 15, 2007 11:45 pm

dionroy, this is my first post, just for you...

Ok, I've overcome the same problem, this is how I did it. By the way, this was for the full version of Live 6, I hope it is the same for Live Lite....

Go to http://www.ableton.com/livepacks and download 'Axiom Tutorial'. Click on the dowloaded file (which looks like a folder) and it will install the tutorial.

Launch Live and open the live set that is in the folder you downloaded. In Live, click 'Help' in the top bar and open 'Lessons table of contents'.

At the bottom of the new panel that opened in your Live mainpage, click on 'M-Audio Axiom control surfaces'.

Just follow the tutorial and all should be sweet!

This won't make sense at the moment but you must opt to click the 'DUMP' button. This will set the Axiom up for Impulse etc.

I hope this solves your problem. :D

dionroy

Live Pack

Post by dionroy » Wed May 16, 2007 12:56 am

Donpepper thanks for the reply.

Ive actually gotten that far, even to the point htat I can use some of the faders to control PAN, Gain, etc in Impulse.

I can even use the DRUM pads to control other settings, however I still can't use the drums for the actual instruments.

I HAVE to use the middle C and up to get trigger the actual instruments. For some reason even when i try to manually map the drum triggers to the impulse instrument, it only will map to faders and knobs.

Did you mange to use your axiom for actually triggering sounds?

Thanks !!!

donpepperoni

Post by donpepperoni » Wed May 16, 2007 7:11 pm

Yeah, I did as described above and lo and behold, the pads worked for Trigering the drums/samples in Impulse..... only on Axiom setting 18 I might add.

I'm sure you know but you change Axiom settings by hitting 'recall' then + or -.

Try recording in a midi track (not with Impulse) and seeing which midi keys your pads are sending on.

Then try hitting the keyboard in an armed impulse track and seeing which keys the drums are mapped to.

If they are not the same try hitting the 'dump' button again in midi preferences to reset the Axiom.

If you have been messing around in 'Enigma', this may have screwed up your settings.

Let me know how you get on.

dionroy

Post by dionroy » Wed May 16, 2007 8:57 pm

Don,
I can actually see which midi note each key is sending when I manually map the "pan" "gain" etc etc.

I can actually see which keys are triggering the impulse, what I need to know is what Control Channel and Midi Note to manually set the drums too. Ill try messing with it and see if I can makes heads or tails of the signals.

I have been using P18, and have already "dumped" the config from Ableton to 18/19/20 and have even gotten the Record, Play, and Faders to function correctly, but it just wont trigger the instruments!!!

I am only able to get signal from the drums using P18, so Im defintely on the right track, but just so strange that it wont let me manually map the drum triggers to impulse.... I can map them to Everything else except what I need them mapped to!