Stuff to do to the Amen break?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:22 pm

Idonotlikebroccoli wrote:
friend_kami wrote:
Idonotlikebroccoli wrote:The amen break sample was awesome when I first heard it nearly ten years ago. Not so much now. Overused like nothing else.
venetian snares mate.
enough said.
I know. I listened to that album of his with all those hungarian names. The amen breaks really ruined the album for me. I was really hoping to hear some more original beats than the overused "fuck up an amen break in 180 bpm" thing. I'll admit that his amen cuts were some of the better ones I've heard though.
perhaps you should take a listen to the rest of his music before you rule him out as a boring amen break user.

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:48 pm

If he has stuff that isn't entirely amen break, I'd love to give it a shot. What can you recommend?

Dominik

Post by Dominik » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:46 am

I know. I listened to that album of his with all those hungarian names. The amen breaks really ruined the album for me. I was really hoping to hear some more original beats than the overused "fuck up an amen break in 180 bpm" thing. I'll admit that his amen cuts were some of the better ones I've heard though.
well...what's this shit?
I listened to that album of his with all those hungarian names.
and... don't slobber this topic with unqualified messages.it's evil.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:14 am

laird wrote:Add it to some Blade Runner samples.
I like that song(s?)

borg

Post by borg » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:07 am

Idonotlikebroccoli wrote:If he has stuff that isn't entirely amen break, I'd love to give it a shot. What can you recommend?
try 'winter in the belly of a snake' sooo much better than the classical/d'n'b album you mentioned, imho of course
andy
2015 MBP, OSX 10.12, Live 10.1 64bit, RME Fireface 800

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:53 pm

borg wrote:
Idonotlikebroccoli wrote:If he has stuff that isn't entirely amen break, I'd love to give it a shot. What can you recommend?
try 'winter in the belly of a snake' sooo much better than the classical/d'n'b album you mentioned, imho of course
yeah that rocks.
meathole is damn good too.

but really, id suggest listening to all of them, because hes awesome.

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:53 am

borg wrote:
Thanks. I'll give it a listen. Thank lord for bleep.com's preview system, which lets you listen to the whole songs in 30 second parts.

Edit: I've now listened through most of 'winter in the belly of a snake'. That's what I was hoping 'Rossz Csillag Alatt Született' would sound like! :)

whiterabbit

Post by whiterabbit » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:54 am

THIS IS EXCELLENT:
Venetian Snares - Higgins Ultra Low Track Glue Funk Hits 1972 - 2006

Hoping Aaron Funk and Cevin Key will collaborate someday...

whiterabbit

Post by whiterabbit » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:59 pm

piZMo wrote: Sampling is bullshit and for people who can't write original music.
yeah, people who sample, like Venetian Snares, Skinny Puppy, NIN etc can't write their own music.

pax

Post by pax » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:11 pm

That's kinda a narrow viewpoint... Even groups like Rage agains the Machine have used samples.

With samples you can get timbres that you might find hard to get in a 4 piece rock band.

I wouldn't release a song with the Amen Break unless I thought it was original, but it's a great break to practice with. Listen to Squarrepusher, Amen Andrews (Luke Vibert).. There are a lot of possibilities beyond just looping it.

It's kind of like the 'Power Chord' of rock guitar... Just because you use it doesn't mean you are immediately going to sound like Black Sabbath... Even if you want to.

At the same time, you're not a good guitar player just because you don't use power chords.

Brkhlk

Post by Brkhlk » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:24 pm

fun with amens ? slice it into 8th notes, fill it into a sampler of choice, write some pattern and then add instajungle.

comes with 10 % more amen... in version 0.3

http://www.instajungle.com

as said, the amen is very overused, but there are a lot of good records where its used.

my conclusion is that it aint the break, but the tune. if you make a good, innovative Amen tune, hey, why not.[/url]
beats me wrote: There are 2 hamsters between each jog wheel. That's 4 hamsters in total! Insane!

Ruso

Post by Ruso » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:33 am

the damn amen break needs to die already, it's been alive since the damn 60s for christ's sake...... get over it and make your own breaks.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:43 am

Ruso wrote:the damn amen break needs to die already, it's been alive since the damn 60s for christ's sake...... get over it and make your own breaks.
what if you take the amen, slice it up into pieces and program another break from that break?

would that count?

if not, apply your comment on techno, please.
save for the 60´s, obviously.

Ruso

Post by Ruso » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:58 pm

it would still be the amen break, everyone knows the distinct sound of the amen break and no matter how much you chop it up it still sounds like the damn amen break....

true skill in making electronic music comes from making your own EVERYTHING!

andydes

Post by andydes » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:44 pm

Rogue Scrunt wrote:best thin to do to the amen break....

leave it alone.

it is like the really hot girl at a club night,

that you see go home with a different set of dudes every weekend.
He, he, he.

That's how you know you're on to a winner and not wasting your time and energy.

How about cutting it up and rearranging to make a generic house beat. Not sure anyone's done that yet have they?