masterizing i really need help

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
blingstef

masterizing i really need help

Post by blingstef » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:27 am

Hi to all the Livers :D ... i am having some troubles with my compositions :cry: ... anytime i do any composition when i export it into a wave file the result is never what i expect. the instrumental is not enough clear :( . when i think about software like reason the result is so not the same. i tried some masterizing but i don't know where to start( find the loww pass , pass band spectral vision etc...) is it because it can't be done on live 6? or is it because i don't know where to get it? someone please help me make my beats clearer like water can be :lol:

zobomix

Post by zobomix » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:14 am

IMO, most of the plugins are dangerous to use as I can hear sound degradation, but I really like the UAD-1 plugs because what comes in truly comes out and it's not degraded. A 909 kick through a uad 1176 will be punchier and clearer than most compressor plugs around.

So, my first question is how many plugins are you using on your drum sounds? And what plugins?

Don't get in the habit of thinking that mastering will cure the problem. Rather, uproot it before you get to that final stage.

Hope that helps.

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:57 am

there is an old saying... "you can't polish a turd..."

i'm not having a go BTW... i'm just pointing out that you have to get the right sounds, and the mix right before you do any mastering.

Clairty in a mix comes from EQing individual sounds right (making sure that frequencies aren't clashing), and giving everything a place in the mix... (panning and adding delays or reverb to give a sense of space)

it'll come with a whole bunch of experimentation... you really have to just use your ears, and have a half decent monitoring system.

good luck!
:)M
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

blingstef

Post by blingstef » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:34 pm

making sure the frequencies aren't clashing, Equing that's my problem because i don't know how to do it in live ( where to get the mixer or the equalizer or some spectral vision of each of the sounds i'm playing). the panning ? not a problem i have always done it but still the problem remains. my main problem is where to find all of the tools to mix and all...

blingstef

Post by blingstef » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:39 pm

zobomix i don't use plug ins. do you think i should? and where do i get them?

laird

Post by laird » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:44 pm

check the manual for the section on plugins.

blingstef

another question

Post by blingstef » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:00 pm

i want to ask to all the veteran livers how do i do ( i mean where do i get the tools ) when i want to make sure the low frequencies of a hi hat doesn't clash with the high frequencies of a kick. ( i think i have to put a low pass to the kick and a high pass to the hi hat with frequencies that are not the same) am i mistaking?

laird

Post by laird » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:11 pm

where do you get the tools?

check the manual for the section on plugins.

The answer is there.

Mr Lager

Re: another question

Post by Mr Lager » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:49 pm

blingstef wrote:i want to ask to all the veteran livers how do i do ( i mean where do i get the tools ) when i want to make sure the low frequencies of a hi hat doesn't clash with the high frequencies of a kick. ( i think i have to put a low pass to the kick and a high pass to the hi hat with frequencies that are not the same) am i mistaking?
Any frequencies you cant hear on a sound should be eq'd out.

the ableton eq is a good place to start :wink:

Stiff

Post by Stiff » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:45 pm

There are a lot of good tips on EQing and how it works out there. Google and thou shalt find ;)
Daily news & reviews at
www.protoolerblog.com

Warminstrel

Post by Warminstrel » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:55 pm

I never normalise etc. using Live; I normally export as wav file without any processing with Live's on-board stuff (though get mix as good as possible) then load the wav into Wavelab, normalise, then add T-Racks (VST). I usualy start with the 'FM Broadcast' (Found in the 'Suite' section) pre-set then tweak it to suit....

Not a pro by any means but seems to generate the required loadness found on professional tunes....However you do need to be wary of compression or volume levels in the track when mixing as can sometimes cause complete drops in the signal when mastering.

Another way I've done it, and it may be frowned on; Is to insert T-Racks as a vst in the Master track, again, I normally use the 'FM Broadcast' setting as a pre-set to start from.
T-racks is also good for leveling as well if you use headphones alot, will save your ears from drum shattering frequencies especialy if you use quality ear goggles.

Safe,

W.

blingstef

my compositions are gettin clearer and better

Post by blingstef » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:51 pm

i tried everything people on this topic suggested and what works for me and really easy is all the sets included in live itself. wave lab is good but as i am used to live 6 it's more easy for me.... checking the manual was really good idea :idea: :D ... i'm glad there are some people that can help read you soon on a another topic

Stace

Post by Stace » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:07 pm

If you're looking for plugins you can go to, and join, the KVR audio web site they have a lot of free plugins and also plugins that cost money. They send out a letter at set times to keep you up to date on whats going in the plugin world. They have free banks for a lot of the VSTi synths and tutorials, forum all sorts of stuff. Its a good site you should check it out you might like it. :)
"Never increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything" --- William of Ockham (1285-1349)