XP installation tips ?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
agnès

XP installation tips ?

Post by agnès » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:31 am

hi there,

I just got a new laptop and installed XP on it.

My question is that I saw a pdf "optimizing Windows XP for audio" which said that installing XP with "standard PC" over "ACPI compliant pc" is better for audio, well that's what I did...

the problem is that I got some devcies "WLAN adapter & IR interface" (that I dont use so often anyway...) which are not able to be addressed by the OS. I think here that setting the computer as a "standard PC" disable the ability of XP the virtualy map ressources to hardware devices. Am I right ? any advices?

Thanks, cheers, agnès

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:59 pm

Isn't there a http://www.musicxp.net webite or so ?
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:28 pm

Yeah, musicxp has great tips.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:46 pm

setting your PC as a "standard PC" enables you to set up the IRQ #s yourself, instead of letting Windows do it. you can do it in the BIOS. assign your sound device to an IRQ # that's not used by any other device.
you'll avoid unwanted hardware clicks.
but XP handles it not so bad.

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:50 pm

have a look on www.soundonsound.com - lots of good stuff. I think on a desktop under XP you get extra IRQ's through ACPI mode being on, even though you don't get to assign them yourself, which reduces IRQ sharing. I assume its the same for a laptop.

gaspode

Another tip...

Post by gaspode » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:28 pm

I'd check www.blackviper.com as another place to stop for registry changes/service changes...

robbmasters

Re: XP installation tips ?

Post by robbmasters » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:54 pm

agnès wrote:My question is that I saw a pdf "optimizing Windows XP for audio" which said that installing XP with "standard PC" over "ACPI compliant pc" is better for audio, well that's what I did...
I think that was a good idea once upon a time. Not convinced it is anymore. Steinberg apparently recommend the opposite, and that has always been fine for me...

gaspode

Hmmm...

Post by gaspode » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:17 pm

Well I believe installing with ACPI set means that you get 8 extra interrupts for your I/O devices... if you do not install with ACPI then windows will use 'virtual' interrupts that forces your devices to share interrupts.