syncing Live on a Mac and a PC

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
php

syncing Live on a Mac and a PC

Post by php » Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:38 am

Does anyone know of a way to sync Ableton Live running on both a Mac (OS X) and a PC running Windows?
Is there a way to do this with a simple USB cable between both the Mac and PC and is there any software that will allow a MIDI connection between two computers via USB?
The only other way I know of is with a MIDI interface on both computers.

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:39 am

Hey. I can't offer any good advice other than two MIDI interfaces and a MIDI cable. I partnered with a PC user for a gig last halloween, and we both had to sync our computers together using this method.

Also, for some wierd reason, He couldn't sync to me, but I could sync to him. He was using an M-Audio Midi interface (not sure which one), and I was using a Evolution UC-33.

Sorry it's not the answer you want, but we did get it to work nicely in the end...

L8er
Montrealbreaks

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:07 am

Syreen's Henri from Berlin does a techno act with three laptops and they do it by ear!!!! Worth considering?

Best,
Format

heino

Post by heino » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:40 pm

ableton live has a problem with sending midi clock
that problem seems to be neglected by abletons
rather sad news

heino

radder

MIDI clock send problem

Post by radder » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:39 pm

ableton live has a problem with sending midi clock
Yeah, I tried to slave my drum machine to Live and it works fine the first time you hit "Play" in Live, but if you hit "stop" then "play" again, the drum machine freaks out and stops responding, requiring me to turn it off and restart it. I thought it was a problem with the Drum machine, and then I remembered using it just fine with Logic...

guestware

Post by guestware » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:00 pm

which drum machine are you using?

SnackDaddy

Post by SnackDaddy » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:50 am

Try using a 3rd party midi clock source. Instead of running a hefty sequencer, run a dedicated midi clock source like MidiClock:

http://homepage.mac.com/grantedsw/Menu6.html

Send its output to Live on your Mac via MidiPipe (or Panther's built-in IAC midi device), and also send it thru your hardware-out to your PC.

Live syncs well to midi clocks in my tests. Since midi clock carries phase information, the two computers should stay sync'ed.

The only noticeable problem should be from differences in audio output latencies between the two machines or from clock variance (which you can't do anything about, short of getting a different timing clock for your machines). If one machine has audio latency signifigantly greather than the other, you might have to setup both machines to have the same output latency as the slower of the two so they stay in phase.

HTH

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:29 am

imidi is very interesting.

is there another tool on pc side, that recognize the clock from imidi over the lan ?

would be great to sync the two worlds ofer LAN...i think with reaktor it is already possible

SnackDaddy

Post by SnackDaddy » Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:39 pm

For midi over LAN, you can try MidiShare www.grame.fr/MidiShare. It's Mac and PC. I know it has a LAN driver, but I don't know whether it can be interfaced with any Midi program, or only other MidiShare programs. The email support is helpful.

Why do you want to necessarily use LAN to share midi between to computers? A regular MIDI cable works great, but I guess maybe you don't have a hardware MIDI i/o on both machines?

-Michael

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:41 pm

the link is dead.

i would sync the two worlds by lan, because it is use only one simple cable. i have all the hardware for both computer to sync by midiinterfaces, but the lan thing is more future like.

crustrock

here's the working link to MidiShare

Post by crustrock » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:13 pm

Live 7.0.14, NordLead 2, BCF2000, M-Audio FW Audiophile, MBP C2D

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:08 pm

See this thread over in General:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24672

Exactly the same things discussed.