get a real compressor! 3630 WARRIORS UNITE

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Gaubie

Post by Gaubie » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:48 am

dootdoot wrote:I don't use it for monitoring, but for live work I will run my mix through my RNC on the way to the power amp. It keeps the output from the DAW from randomly blasting the PA speakers during live work, and the overall mix out front sounds a LOT better.
I've often thought of doing that, but was afraid of blowing something up. So your using it as a limiter only right? For instance, in my situation my final mix would go into a club PA, so I'm assuming don't add any output gain from the compressor, and just use it to limit. Right?
"It's more fun to compute". Yeah, when you know what you're doing!

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:18 am

this thread and some other factors made me dig out my 3630

:)

buckman

Post by buckman » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:23 pm

I use my 3630 all the time... push ableton mix output thru it for some pump and grit.. also use the sidechain too works great!

superaction80

Post by superaction80 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:01 pm

PJD wrote:
bytheriver wrote:I've been thinking of getting something to do this with, any other recommendations for cheap hardware compressors?

Something for techno/house drums and basslines :)

IMHO the 3630 is pretty worthless compared to any other real outboard compressor and I would still take my Nomad Factory plug-in stuff over a stack of 3630's. Useful as a gate though.
+1 on the 3630-haterism. They're just plain gross. Useful if that cruddy, high-noise-floor grit is what you're looking for. Why not load a Saturator plug after the Live Comp? Try a dbx 166, or even the 266.
+1 on the FMR Audio Really Nice Compressor (RNC). Its my go-to piece for running parallel drum compression. I'd try to keep the ratio pretty gentle (around 4:1 or less, preferably around 2:1) if your strapping it across the main buss (ie between your outs and our amps or mixdown deck). If you hit it too hard, you're going to give yourself fits trying to get your mixes right.
Mac Dual 1.8 3gb MOTU 828 UADx3 Axiom 61 PadKontrol
Mackie Control P4 2.8 1.25gb Emu 1212 iBook g4 1gb Firebox SX3 DP5 Logic Express Live 5 Reason 3 Komplete 3 Waves RMaxx VStation IMPOscar PristineSpace

nate_D

Post by nate_D » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:59 pm

i've got one but it just sits there in my rack. i'm still a major n00b when it comes to compression. i figured if i got a rack mounted compressor i'd learn how to use it. i've read the manual 2x. turns out i'm just slow... :|
good to see other people are still using em though. i thought they were obsolete by now. i've also got a peavy kosmos pro that i can't get to sound good either. they should have named it mud pro.
Macbook 2ghz c2d, 2gb ram, osx 10.5.5, live 8.0.8, fw-1884, ms20, x-session, 2xLP

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:24 pm

superaction80 wrote: +1 on the 3630-haterism. They're just plain gross. Useful if that cruddy, high-noise-floor grit is what you're looking for. Why not load a Saturator plug after the Live Comp? Try a dbx 166, or even the 266.
+1 on the FMR Audio Really Nice Compressor (RNC). Its my go-to piece for running parallel drum compression. I'd try to keep the ratio pretty gentle (around 4:1 or less, preferably around 2:1) if your strapping it across the main buss (ie between your outs and our amps or mixdown deck). If you hit it too hard, you're going to give yourself fits trying to get your mixes right.

hitting it hard is what its best for. bump your kick volume up and then add more compression across the master. low attack short release and a hefty ratio..

id use the saturator and Lives compressor and in fact Lives compressor h as the best 'pump' out of any compressor ive heard but lacks the low end definition and saturator rocks but totally rapes the transients sometimes across a mix.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:26 pm

nate_D wrote:i've got one but it just sits there in my rack. i'm still a major n00b when it comes to compression. i figured if i got a rack mounted compressor i'd learn how to use it. i've read the manual 2x. turns out i'm just slow... :|
good to see other people are still using em though. i thought they were obsolete by now. i've also got a peavy kosmos pro that i can't get to sound good either. they should have named it mud pro.
i think a 3630 wouldnt suit your music.

i personally think it works best on a 909 kick pumpin a mix

nate_D

Post by nate_D » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:31 pm

like trance or house? how about vocal stuff? or guitars? i'll try using it on some electronic drums (i can get some 909 sounding drums out of my roland). i know the high dollar compressors are gonna get the best quality of compression, but i had read that you could get a lot out of the 3630. i picked it up more or less just to learn on.
Macbook 2ghz c2d, 2gb ram, osx 10.5.5, live 8.0.8, fw-1884, ms20, x-session, 2xLP

Gaubie

Post by Gaubie » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:23 pm

I'm glad somebody started this thread. I too went digging out old gear, and now I realize what I use to take for granted. It took switching to computers for me to learn how to better use compressors other than just an amplifier. I no longer feel like I wasted money back then on my DBX's and 3630. I'm very suprised at some of the results I've gotten by setting up different scenarios. Thanks guys.
"It's more fun to compute". Yeah, when you know what you're doing!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:03 am

blacklionaudio.com does some cool things to 3630's :)

shant

Post by shant » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:32 am

hi
how tdo i connect the alesis 3630 to live 7 ??? i'm using 8pre motu sound card . and few other midi control surfaces .thats all my set up !!
i

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:18 am

Read earlier in the thread, someone already explained it.

Kozak

Post by Kozak » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:20 pm

I don't think you need a hardware compressor at all. You can get every sound you want using software plugins!
Ableton Live 7.0.2 / Keyboard / Mouse

kraze

Post by kraze » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:27 am

This thread is slightly naive. Of course outboard gear sounds different, but you new ones are probably just overusing it anyways. Look back at this thread in 2 years and you'll understand.

I've got 2x 3630 and they're nice, but they pretty much do one thing and i'd call it more of an effect than a mixing tool. If you're stoked about the 3630, book some studio time in a high-end studio and try some real ones, or even, buy a UAD-1 card.

electropoet

Post by electropoet » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:19 pm

fmr-rnc (really nice compressor)
fmr-rnla (really nice line amp)

check out these two pretty inexpensive compressors.

If your going to go through all the trouble to pipe your audio out of the box...then for gods sake DO NOT USE a 3630...it works for live sound (kinda)...but really does not scratch the surface of what outboard compression can do for various tracks...i'd always elect to use Live's compressors over a 3630.

However, the fmr compressors are cheap but sound fantastic...can be had for not much on ebay...you won't be sorry...the line amp in particular can give a kik drum the snap and pop that i've just not heard a software comp pull-off...getting that sound back into your computer is another story...but what you'll hear while monitoring is sure to get you hooked.

just a thought. great compressors without breaking the bank...plus there in stereo.