Randomly mute notes

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Grappadura

Randomly mute notes

Post by Grappadura » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:13 pm

Is there any way to do that? Maybe a free vst, or a tricky setup? THX.

SPAWNmaster

Post by SPAWNmaster » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:14 pm

you can do it with Max/MSP. the only other way i can think of is trying to set up a side-chain routing from a glitch vst.

laird

Post by laird » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:26 pm

You can do it with MIDI plugins. The velocity plugin can randomize velocities AND filter out any velocity below a certain threshold.

Of course, you might like velocities as they are.
Use the random MIDI plugin effect to randomize the pitch. Set the chance to whatever % you want, then set the scale to something very high, then on your instrument, adjust the patch's range to not include those octaves that "random" transposes your notes to (for drum VSTis, this is pretty simple, usually a +1 octave shift will transpose all the drum hits to a range that has no sounds)

laird

Post by laird » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:35 pm

The MIDI plugin note-length can also randomly mute notes I believe, using the Gate and just minimize the time (might not work for sounds with hefty Decay settings)...

anyhow, these are all free and come with Live 6
assuming you want to mute MIDI notes, and not audio "notes".
Last edited by laird on Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 4.33 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:24 pm

check the free skidder vst here http://destroyfx.smartelectronix.com/

might be just what youre looking for

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:07 pm

Thx a lot for your replies. Based on them I mounted 2 Velocity effects. The first one generates random velocity, the second mutes those notes that exceed a certain value. Since I want to record the midi notes of this track, and not directly the audio, this is a setup that works well for me. THX also 4.33, its an interesting tool, but an audio effect, and I wanted a midi effect to be able to record the midi notes. THX also Spawnmaster, I checked it out, but it seems kinda complicated.

Fidel

Post by Fidel » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:57 am

I dont know if this is available in other versions of live but I'm using 6 and it has two different midi effects that do just this. Random will either add, subtract or both on midi notes and velocity will randomize velocitys, they are both native to Live and both work extremely well.

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:27 am

I don´t have the program with me right now, but I checked it out, and I think the "random" device only will randomize a note. "Substract" just means that the notes will be randomized downwards, and add means upwards. It doesn´t actually mute a note when u select "substract". And the velocity device will randomize velocity, but a single device won´t mute notes randomly. Thats why you need 2 of them, one randomizes the velocity, the other gate the notes above/below a certain velocity threshold.

laird

Post by laird » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:08 pm

Yes, but if you set up your patch to be silent in the range that the Random plugin downshifts your samples to, you'd be golden.

This might not work for melodies, but for drums you'd most likely be in business.

You didn't tell me what exactly you wanted to mute, so i posed a few options.

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:46 pm

Yes, thats a good idea too, especially because it doesnt affect the velocitiy parameters. I will check it out, I was hesitant because the melody I want to randomly mute covers 3 or 4 octaves, and I wasn´t sure how far you could transpose it with the random tool. Thx a lot for those hints! I´ll try that one out, and if you wouldn´t have mentioned the velocity features, I´d still be stuck anyways. THX!

jackmaris

Re: Randomly mute notes

Post by jackmaris » Mon May 17, 2021 3:04 am

Hey all,

I just wanted to comment (14 years later) for anyone who reaches this thread from Google.

An easy way on Live 11 would be the following.

* Wrap your instrument in a midi effect rack.
* Show the macro controls on the rack and go to "Chain".
* We'll be randomly selecting from this range, so drag the blue "zone" so that it covers the percent of the zone that you don't want muted. Say I wanted to mute about 20% of notes-- then I'd drag so that it goes up to (1 - .2) * 128 - 1 = 101.4, rounding to 101.
* Add an Expression Control and map the "Random" input to the light blue bar that appears over 0. The mapping on the expression control should then say "Chain Select...".

And there you have it.