How to manipulate beats like this.

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
forge

Post by forge » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:50 am

friend_kami wrote:
svrider1000 wrote:Thanks I use both of those vsts but they don't sound the same. Maybe my beats are not good enough. Maybe I will make some glitchy sounds and chop them up in FLstudios then use them as loops in Live.

good idea. fl slicer rocks.
I say this in answer to the slicer debate nearly everytime it pops up

extracting slices from loops, placing them on slots in impulse and recording them into midi clips using OVR overdub mapped to a key on the keyboard so you can use it like a record button with record quantise enabled to me is actually quicker and easier than using a slicer and rearranging the beats

the time taken loading up a slicer, chopping up the beats then importing them into live would take longer than the way I do it

you dont have to crop/slice or anything in live, just stick your loop in arange, select the beat you want and drag it straight to the impulse slot

it takes about 1 sec each hit

and if you build a template drum rack or something then you can use more than the 8 impulse slots

you can do all that in Live

svrider1000

Post by svrider1000 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:52 pm

Thanks B and everyone else. In Fstudios it takes 1 second to slice it then each slice is on each key automatically. then you can sequence as many bars as you like then mix and export it and that is it. I use FL to make songs and beats quick. And am using Live to play my stuff Live.
Live 7, Flstudios 8, M-Audio Ozonic, Stylus RMX, Kore and loads of 3rd party Pluggins.

forge

Post by forge » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:03 pm

svrider1000 wrote:Thanks B and everyone else. In Fstudios it takes 1 second to slice it then each slice is on each key automatically. then you can sequence as many bars as you like then mix and export it and that is it. I use FL to make songs and beats quick. And am using Live to play my stuff Live.
each to their own I guess

I'm thinking in terms of being able to play slices from drum loops as part of a drum module and I quite like impulse for that - and we are really talking in seconds, so it comes down to how you prefer working

yourmom

Post by yourmom » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:30 pm

you guys are geekin out over that??... it just takes a little practice.. sample shit around the house. make em real short clicks n cuts. use some effects here and there. be smart about it.

CatfishRivers

Post by CatfishRivers » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:37 pm

I really like using Acid Pro's chopper to make glitchy edits to beats I come up with.

jasinski

Post by jasinski » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:49 pm

If you know how to use it, you can do a lot of this stuff with beatRepeat, especially when you throw a few of them in a rack
MacPro / MacBookPro / Live 8
My art and music

Evo Tech

Post by Evo Tech » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:43 pm

I've been working with Henry for years so I don't want to give away his beat programming tricks, but I'll just say that he is a meticulous programmer and that's how he gets his sound on these tracks.

Gaubie

Post by Gaubie » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:17 am

I also noticed that he's wearing some sort of homemade trigger/controller on his finger.
"It's more fun to compute". Yeah, when you know what you're doing!

svrider1000

Post by svrider1000 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:47 pm

Thanks for all of the input everyone. I see I will have to do some programming. I was hoping there was an easier way but it will pay off in the long run. Forge I tried your method and like it a lot. Thanks never thought of doing it that way.
Live 7, Flstudios 8, M-Audio Ozonic, Stylus RMX, Kore and loads of 3rd party Pluggins.

theguru_

Post by theguru_ » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:40 am

haha, kids, u should guess this sh*t already. STYLUS RMX+CHAOS

svrider1000

Post by svrider1000 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:46 pm

I have Stylus RMX also. Maybe I should start looking into it more.

Thanks