Where's the Global Kill Switch when you need it?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.

Where's the Global Kill Switch when you need it?

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:09 am

Is there any global "kill switch" in live, something that would immediately shot off all processing on the master?

What this is good for - I experiment with new vst plugins in various unfinished alpha/beta states and at times there's the occasional nasty feedback loop or super-loud signal.

It takes to long to shut off live in these situations and I have to close the whole program just to kill the sound.

Another reason to have this would be to enable a producer to shut off live processing temporarily, so it does not hog cpu while you work in other applications and Live is in the background.

Does anyone know any cool tricks to accomplish something like what I'm describing here without having to manually turn off all the effects/etc?

Thanks!

radder

maybe too simple?

Post by radder » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:07 pm

master volume slider?

It obviously wouldn't help with the CPU cycles but it would allow you to kill the sound so you could concentrate on turning off the plugin(s) without screaming feedback in your ears!

ok, now you can go ahead and tell me i'm pointing out the super-obvious :wink:

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:26 am

The tricky bit is somehow binding the master volume cut to a key. Can't we do that with Live? I would gladly take that alone to save myself from early deafness/retirement if the "save the cpu cycles!" idea is not very feasible :)

Mbazzy

Anwer : In your Ableton efx folder ;-D

Post by Mbazzy » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:05 am

Insert Ableton Utility plugin on master out efx chain ... mute=kill
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:02 pm

Last edited by montrealbreaks on Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:52 am

Thanks for that, mbazzy. That really simplifies life for me mate!

In addition, I have found a way to do the second thing I wanted to do - kill all vst-effect processing in one place to conserve perfomance as I alt-tab to other apps on the machine.

I found that this can actually be done by going into preferences and there changing the audio output to "none". Viola, instant 0% cpu usage :)