monitoring in live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
dee

monitoring in live

Post by dee » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:22 pm

Hi

I currently have an Edirol Audio Capture hooked up to an Apple Powerbook but it only has one set of outs with a headphone socket that is routed from the main outputs.

Can anyone recomend an audio interface that has master outputs and also a headphone monitoring output to hear pre-session clips before they go to the master outputs and obviously one that works with Mac OS X 10.3.

Cheers

D

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:13 pm

Last edited by montrealbreaks on Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:33 pm

RME multiface

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:07 am

Thansk for the info - I only need one set of stereo outputs for the master and one pre-session headphone monitor on there for live stuff. I can just switch over to the Edirol for home use when recording stuff or needing an input.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

D

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:18 am

Just as an addition after trawling the net - the M-Audio Transit (not called Transport - well, not here in the UK anyhow) seems the best option. The Echo Indigo, whilst convenient as a PC slot card is a tad expensive at about £160 (UK pricing). M-Audio gets me order. Thanks again. :)

playground404

Post by playground404 » Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:59 am

This is maybe pointing out the bloody obvious. But ask yourself how important panning effects are, in the context of the live gig. Especially in some venues, where there are strange walls and ugly shaped bars strewn across the room.

If it's not vital to have stereo effects and unless a room is a perfect shape and the crowd all standing in the right place in the middle of the dance floor then stereo often isn't necessary.

then you can achieve what you want with what you have, just put all of the main output over on the left channel and monitor on the right. Simple.

If you can plug this into a mixing desk then you can retrieve some stereo effects by splitting the channel into two and applying slightly different eq's (be careful with this it's dead easy to get mud coming out of the PA if you do this though.)

I know some signed major label artists that do this.
:::::::severed your ties::::::::: everything you need:::::::na na na na na na ah do do do do do:::::::