Connecting Reason to Ableton

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
micwatt84

Connecting Reason to Ableton

Post by micwatt84 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:00 am

Hi all,

Im a bit of a newbie and was just wondering how I can connect Reason to Ableton Live 5 and what benefits this would have? Would I only really be able to use a Subtractor or a Mallstrom and connect it to one of the tracks in Ableton?

Also, do I need any other software to connect the two programs?

Any help is much appreciated!

BeezyB

Post by BeezyB » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:05 am

I really love using Reason as the Slave with Ableton Running as the Master. I like all of the synth machines and combi and beat machines in Reason 3.0, but I really hate the sequencer so I think it is the perfect fit to run these into Ableton and use the Ableton sequencer. I have Live 6 so I don't know how much different it is, but they work seamlessly together. Reason and Ableton have that ReWire program built in so they work very well together. Just open Ableton, then open Reason. Make an audio channel and a midi channel. In Ableton set the audio from to Reason on the main mixer and channel 1 L/R. Then on the Midi channel set the Midi to to Reason so you can control stuff. I think you have to change the monitor on the audio channel to in too. From there you can do pretty much as much as you can imagine. You just have to arm the tracks to record from Reason, but once you record them you can add Ableton effects and edit it and do whatever. When you change the tempo in either program it automatically changes the other one to the same. Same with pressing play and stop and stuff. Mess around though and if you need any help or anything hit me up, I'm always down to talk music.
Later,
BeezyB

The_Super_Ape

Post by The_Super_Ape » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:57 pm

I think these instructions work for Live 5
http://www.ableton.com/pages/rewire/reason_3

Herne

Post by Herne » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:00 pm

If you're on Vista don't forget to get the updated rewire component from the props.
Live 6.10 | Vista Ultimate | Reason 3 |
Athlon 64 X2 6400 | 4GB DDR2 8000 |
Axiom 61 | BCR2000 | PadKONTROL |

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:27 pm

I tend to do parallel sequencing in Reason and Live. Using Live to record audio and VST and sequencing Reason's devices in Reason.

I find using the Session view with Reason a bit cumbersome in some cases though (you will need separate midi controllers for Reason and Live to do what I am doing and a multimonitor setup might be desired).