stopping and relaunching playback on a different scene

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
peeddrroo

stopping and relaunching playback on a different scene

Post by peeddrroo » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:35 pm

hi,

here is my prob: in session mode, is it possible to select some clips, and have them ready to be played (with the green triangle on the left not blinking) without triggering them?
what i'd like to do is to stop the playback, skip a few scenes and then start on a new scene using tap tempo.

can somebody help?
thanx
(btw, i'm on Live3)
and, another point: do other people find the tap tempo not very accurate, or is it me?

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:32 pm

am i the only one concerned with this issue? seems strange to me.
how do people choose the clips that are ready to be played when launching a live set?
i'd like it to be the clips on the first line line, but it is not always the case... how do you deal with that?

thanks for your help!

janklug

Post by janklug » Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:26 pm

seems like a nice feature request to me!
would be nice to be able to do that; for example, by pressing the shift key while selecting the not-yet-to-be-launched clip..

can't think of a workaround for now.

greetings,

jan

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:59 pm

you can select more than one with shift then hit enter cant you? I know you can select one clip and hit enter to start it

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:39 pm

yes you can guest. And don't forget you can fire a whole horizontal scene all at once with the scene fire play buttons on the master channel. Look at the demo session files, put all your clips you want to play together in one horizontal row (scene). You should be able to accomplish what your initial post describe with ease just using scenes. Adjust the global quantization for what suits you--if you want a scene to immediately start playing, then choose "none" for quantization. If you want it always "on the one" use "bar" for quantization.

I find the tap tempo to be very accurate. Tapping on a mouse can be a bit difficult, but I find if I'm listening to something with a beat and tapping in time that I get with .5 bpm (if not closer) with each tap.

Ryan

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:02 pm

thanks for your feedback ryan.
i do use scenes to launch clips. what i try to do is the following, you can try to do it: play a few scenes, stop the sequencer on the transport bar (so that tap tempo launching is effective), and then try to launch ANY scene using tap tempo. i couldn't do it.
the only way around i found was to launch the scene i wanted and to stop it very quickly. then the scene was ready to be taptempo-launched (with the green triangle lit but not blinking).

that's very useful when doing a whole set with several songs and musicians giving the tempo before the song starts (with Live getting synched afterwards).
i hope i make myself clear...
pierre

quandry

Post by quandry » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:11 pm

now i get it, sorry if what i said before was obvious. Hmm, the only workaround I see for now is putting an ableton utility plug-in on the master, and mapping a key or button to the mute. Then you can mute the master, hit play on the scene you want, hit stop right away, then tap tempo and go. A bit of a pain, but the best I can figure now..

Ryan

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:29 pm

Would this work for you...?

Create a new scene, containing a silent clip (a duplicate of an existing clip but with a flat track volume at 0% will do).

Trigger that scene.

Tap tempo (until you're in sync).

Trigger the scene you want.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:25 am

thank you guys for your concern.
unfortunately it doesn't really help... :cry:

for the global mute utility suggection, i can do it on my mixing desk, so the problem is not to have no sound out, but rather to have a convenient way to do what i want to do --by the way, how do you put plug-ins on the master?

as for your suggestion robbmaster, the problem is that i'll have Live synched to the musicians, but with no sound out, and if they shift tempo a bit before i launch the sound, then it will be a complete mess!
i've dropped my problem to the wishlist forum, so maybe someone at ableton will consider it. i think it's a rather important matter (at least it is for me!).

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:08 am

peeddrroo wrote:as for your suggestion robbmaster, the problem is that i'll have Live synched to the musicians, but with no sound out, and if they shift tempo a bit before i launch the sound, then it will be a complete mess!.
So make sure you're still tapping (or start tapping) a couple of bars before you want Live to come in...