HOWTO: Use dummy clips to control dBlue Glitch

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
joesapo

HOWTO: Use dummy clips to control dBlue Glitch

Post by joesapo » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:35 pm

Short writeup I did on controlling dBlue Glitch via Live dummy clips. Originally posted on the ALDJ forum: http://www.abletonlivedj.com

Summary

This short writeup is going to address, in a step-by-step fashion, a method for setting up and using dBlue Glitch for use with Ableton Live. In this particular HOWTO, we are going to be using Dummy Clips (see http://www.abletonlivedj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=763 for a more detailed explanation of dummy clips in Live, thanks to Condra). The method described below should be able to be used on nearly any compatible Live device or VST, not just Glitch.

Instructions

1. First, set up your dummy clip track.
  • As you can see, we have two audio tracks set up. The 'Audio To' of the first track (our "Deck" track) is routed to the "A-SUB" track, which contains our Glitch instance. Be sure to set the Monitor 'In' on the dummy clip track.
2. Next, move the 'Pattern' parameter of the Glitch instance all the way to the max. This will ensure that our dummy clips will be able to affect the whole range of values for the pattern parameter (just trust me).

3. Record a single measure of silence (see the breakout at the bottom for how to do this). That's how dummy clips work; they are "playing" the silent track while they are also automating effect parameters.

4. Make sure the silent measure is on top of your stack of clips (in mine, it's called D-INIT) and make sure that 'Loop' is off. Set the pattern envelope to the very bottom. Also, in the Glitch VST, make the first pattern of the 16 presets a 'blank' where no effects are playing.

5. Duplicate the clip, and set your pattern envelope and follow action for the pattern you want to use.
  • As illustrated, the D-02 clip (the second Glitch Pattern) has a follow action set to 'First' and a pattern envelope set to about 8%. Again, the loop function is off.
6. Repeat step 5 for each pattern you want to use in Glitch.

***Creating Silent Clips for dummy channels***
1. Create a 'resample' channel in Live (Audio From: Resampling / Monitor: Auto).
2. Arm the resample track to record
3. Make sure nothing is coming out the Master channel
4. Set global quantize to 1 Bar
5. Click one of the record buttons, then click it again right away to stop it after 1 bar. [/quote]

Conclusion

There you have it. You can alter the individual clip times and loop parameters to create some Glitch effects that stay on, or are timed to more than just a single measure by altering the clip settings. I have found that certain Glitch effects work best when only used over a single measure, but you can experiment on your own to find your own best configuration. Also, if you have a slower computer, it may be wise to turn the 'warp' off on dummy clips, as there is no audio to process in the dummy clip.

From this point, you can start playing with follow actions and random events in Glitch to indicate exactly how much or how little control you have over the effects process.

Once again, this method will work with just about any Live device or VST out there, just as long as it shows up in the automation envelope screen.

Please respond to this post with any questions, comments or suggestions and I'll try to integrate them into the HOWTO.

:mrgreen:

ARDJ

Post by ARDJ » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:07 am

great post, will be using this for sure

Stace

Post by Stace » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:38 pm

Thanks for that mate I'm going to give it a blast!!
"Never increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything" --- William of Ockham (1285-1349)

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:54 am

What skin are you using?